Aircraft Kits

Greg Watkiss

Can anybody recommend a good online site that sells RC aircraft kits. I have had a hunt through lots of online retailers but most just sell the RTF, BNF, etc models. I am look for a good kit that comes in a box with all/most materials for the build but without the electrics.

Any ideas!

Regards, Greg

Advert

DB Sport & Scale , SLEC . Mick Reeves, Chris Foss, Ben Buckle, MyHobbyStores / Giant Shark, Pegasus. depending on what you want.

The above sell mainly their own make which are not always available from shops.  Retailers like Steve Webb etc sell a range of other brands.

Edited By kc on 23/05/2013 19:11:40

Two places worth visiting are Sussex Model Centre and Al's Hobbies. Both are reputable wih generally reasonable prices and good after sales support.

You didn't make it clear what you meant by 'all/most materials for the build' but they both sell kits (bits of wood to glue together) and ARTFs (which are mostly assembled).

A complete novice needs a trainer to start, something like the SLEC Sky 40 or Chris Foss Uno Wot ( see his electric conversion page too )

For IC a DB Mascot or Ben Buckle Bushwacker or Super Sixty. ( these could be converted to electric too )

Today several people gave advice to a beginner under the heading "Engine or Electric for a Westerley"   The info might help you too.   Ask for any further help or anything that is not clear.

Edited By kc on 23/05/2013 19:38:00

If you look at Greg's profile you will see he says he is a newcomer to RC, therefore we should be recomending trainers.

Full kits are not dead but few in number for trainer models. Plan packs dont contain all the little bits you need, so it's much better to avoid them as a first model. Once you know what to select then move onto plans & plan packs. The tank, wheels and other bits from a full kit can be reused on the second or subsequent model.

The Sig kits ( Pegasus or Steve Webb ) although a bit expensive may well be a good start as the instructions and fittings are so comprehensive. In any case search for the online instruction manual and see exactly how a model is built even if you choose another make.

My advice is to read the books by Peter Miller and also David Boddington to get into aeromodelling. Bear in mind that developments in electric flight and also 2.4Ghz have been so rapid recently that all the available books are a bit out of date on this aspect, but all the other info is still valid.

Ref the MyHobbyStore plan packs mentioned above, my experience of them is limited to £43-worth of RCME "Mini Tyro" complete pack I got a couple of weeks ago. Based on that, and also on a very interesting conversation I had yesterday with the proprietor of a model shop, I'd caution you against expecting such a plan to be free of errors and the cutting of the wood to be all correct ...