First Radio system for a newbie

Martin Quigley

Hi Guys,

Been trawling the net for some radio gear. Came across 6EX 6-Channel 2.4GHz FASST System, fairly cheap. Is it any good? my first plane is gonna be a MX Fun Cub. Good starting gear?

Secondly, Can you buy chargers for them? i'd assume you would be able to, as this one comes without charger.

Thanks,

Advert

Hi Martin,

yes the 6EX is a good system - I use FASST myself but with the 8FG transmitter. FASST is a very sophisticated system - but one draw back is that the Rx's are not cheap! Also Futaba are putting a lot of development effort into other systems at present. I would recommend that you look at one of their FHSS systems such as the T6J - which does both FHSS and S-FHSS. They retail as a Tx for about £110-120.

Re the charger - not sure what you want to charge! The model's battery or the Tx?

BEB

Hi BEB its the Transmitter Battery. Second hand - comes with everything but hes lost the charger. The unit is brand new.. Bit confusing but it looks in good order.

Im looking for one I wont need to upgrade for a few models. So BEB, I will bow to your experience here. What would you suggest. the FASST system or the FHSS S-FHSS? I don't mind the cost. Mainly because it will pay for its self in the long run (as long as its not silly expensive).

Thanks,

I have a 6EX 2.4 but I suggest you buy the T6J because it has the budget priced Rx ( for future expansion ) Also has more model memories. FASST Rx are likely to get more expensive in future as they are used on the expensive gear. Maybe they will become obsolete sooner. Also never buy secondahand radio unless you know the seller has not crashed or misused it.

However overriding decision is if your club teaches on Spektrum or Futaba - the buddy leads are not compatible. You will need whatever your instructor requires to match his TX.

Hi Martin, the 6EX is a very good system, good choice. A couple of points though, doesnt apply if its only a couple of years old but if its an older 'used' one first make sure it has a small circular " i " sticker on the bottom:

http://images.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfiles/23983/Yv65898.jpg

Second, both Frsky and Corona make FASST receivers at well under half the price of Futaba receivers. In some ways they're better than the Futaba originals as they have failsafe on all channels where Futaba only has throttle failsafe.

You'll find the 6EX tx very easy to set up for reversing, rates, and mixes etc, unlike some!

Cheers

Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 11/06/2013 15:57:28

Martin, I too have the Futaba 6EX 2.4 FASST system. I bought it as a combo with one 617fs FASST receiver and four servos.

Although it is a basic computer radio it does all that I currently want/need, including EXPO, channel mixing, EPA, sub-trim etc.etc.

To get over the problem of costly Futaba FASST receivers I now also have four FrSky FASST receivers, three TFR6 (currently available from BRC Hobbies for £19.75 each) and one TFR8 bought from a club member who was migrating to Spektrum.

These are full range receivers and, in my experience, totally reliable.

The only thing to watch out for with Futaba txs is that channel 3, throttle, is reversed as standard when used with electric systems, and needs to be reversed on the tx (simple switch press) in order to work correctly.

I also have a FunCub, somewhat battered now, complete with flaps. Note that the way the apertures for the flap servos are manfactured means that either, you will need a servo Y lead incorporating reversing on one channel, carve a new slot in the wing or do a bit of soldering on the servo to reverse it (I did the latter with TowerPro MG90S and it's really easy and avoids mutilation of the wing).

With regard the charger, it's a 9.6 volt, 120mA terminating with, what I think is, a 5mm round DC power plug, centre + surround -. This charger has no auto-shut-off.

A quick look on Google finds one made by Ansmann which may be suitable, but the plug is a Tamiya type. Get the correct plug from Maplins, cut the Tamiya one off and solder the new one on, or make up a Tamiya/round plug adaptor!

Cheers GDB

Guys - just one last lil pop before I sign the 'cheque'. I've found an almost new 6EX transmitter. for £30.00 - all the trimmings, boxed, manual, charger, battery. (please ignore the RX statement im a nooob and I didnt realise that meant receiver

Now, I know the T6J is a great starter. but for £30 - Am I worth going for the 6EX? if you say no, I wont. heres no point me spending £30 + reciever + what ever else I need to then replace it in 5 months for whatever reason.

Let me know your thoughts.

P.s the only reason I keep harping on about the 6EX is cos I cant find any second hand TJ6 - if you advise I should still buy the TJ6 new, then I will. At the end of the day, you all know what your talking about, whereas I dont.  thanks

Edited By Martin Quigley on 13/06/2013 13:27:24

Martin, if this set you've found is less than 3 years old then dont be concerned with it.

If its a much older model, the "I" symbol shows that Ripmax have inspected and passed it - this is about a problem that just a very few sets had when FASST first came out.

You'll find the 6ex has everything you need and possibly ever will. You can use the £20 Frsky FASST receivers with it and good servos are very cheap now, so for very little outlay you've got yourself a top-notch setup.  Between me & my lads we're 3 of them, I like them a lot as they're so simple to program. 

One thing - before sending the cash, make sure its a 2.4 model, the 6ex was also a 35mhz set.

Cheers

Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 13/06/2013 14:10:02

T6J is the way to go but at £30 for a tried and tested system that will keep you going for a good while yet, it's an excellent starter if indeed it is the 2.4 version.

Computer radios were rare and 2.4Ghz systems unheard of when I started out, not so long ago I might add and the shrewd advice at the time was to go for a 6 channel system so that it would set me up for the future. I bought the popular Futaba Skysport 6 and very good it is too; it was obsolete within 3 years. I still use it though - mainly for the Phoenix RC flight simulator. My point is that it's right to try and cater for the future but if you are really just starting out it's likely that the 6EX will do you nicely for the time being and when the time comes to buy another the market could be very different to the present.

Don't forget what KC said about checking out the availabilty of a matching buddy system at your club. If you haven't joined/enquired about a club/ how to get started with flying, I respectfully suggest you say so or at least read the other threads in the forum on the subject. Could save you lots of frustration and money.

Regards, Ian