You can teach monkeys to fly better than that! Cambrian Spitfire

Concorde Speedbird

Lots of people have been keen for a build log on this to the point where I have had PM's about it, so here we go then.

This is the Cambrian Sport-scale Spitfire (not the funfighter) and at 55" span it is a nice practical size, while big enough to have some presence. Having examined the plans I am impressed, the outline is good and I have plans for a BT 83" one so I have a vague idea what it should look like. As an old design she is built very solidly, the fuselage sides are plywood- not lite-ply! I might change those for balsa, there are plenty of formers so plywood seems a bit unnecessary! The kit looks great, a lot of wood, the foam wings are nicely made and the cowl and canopy are good also.

As for the subject to model, the kit is a MKIX (which makes the title seem rather random!) so it will have to be that or a MKXVI. I like TA805 for her stripes, so that is probably what she'll be.

And here is the kit and the E-flite electric retracts I am fitting.

The kit

So there we go, this should be interesting. This build will start once the Jester is off the bench, so not long. Hopefully Danny won't mind that I nicked his idea of using a Battle of Britain quote for the title, even though this is a MKIX!

CS

Ive got one of these ones. Originally built in the mid 90's. Flies very well on a 40 two stroke. I didnt have retracts in my one as we decided at the time that cutting them into the wing would weaken it too much ( retracts available then were bulkier ). Only issue I had was the small tank. 6 min and it was done.

Since ive went all electric, its enjoying its retirement in the loft.

Thanks for the response.

Yes, that is one thing I will do. I am also considering oleos to protect the retracts with our not so smooth strip.

I'll certainly be adding scale detail (while trying to save as much weight as possible throughout construction) such as the cannons and aerial, which are shown on the plan as optional, panel lines, maybe some rivets (if Danny can spur me on enough!), some weathering and perhaps change the sheet tail surfaces to look more scale, like Mightypeesh did to his brilliant 45" TN one (as seen here) because they look great. I have collected a portfolio of images of TA805 from Google images which I will print out.

I can't wait to start her, I like warbirds, the Spitfire being my favourite, so it will be great! And interestngly I do have the free plan for the TN FW190, maybe a future project for a Laser 70...

Stuart, does your one have the plywood fuselage sides? And how much does she weigh? Good to here she flies well, you ought to get her up!

CS

It weighs aboul 5lb without the engine. I was going to convert it to electric at one point but it was turning out just as expensive as one of the large FMS Mk 9's so I got that instead.

I gave up flying nitro because we have no local model shop nows, and now no model shows within a days travel and getting fuel was a pain in the bum.

I put heavier guage UC on my one, and they still would ben on landing on tar.

You mentioned the sides were ply but not liteply and changing them to balsa. I dont know this kit but I would suggest only changing them to liteply not balsa! Planes without any ply doublers fly OK but if they are damaged they disintigrate, while ply would have kept the alignment and made repair easier.

As all experienced modellers know the first thing to do with a kit is to draw all around every shaped component onto paper so the shapes are available to make any repairs. Mark grain direction, material & thickness on the drawing.

( for anybody who doesn't understand the " monkeys to fly" or daka daka quotes they are from the  Battle of Britain film from 1968 and said by the character played by Robert Shaw I think.   

Edited By kc on 21/06/2013 16:50:36

Hi CS

Looking forward to this build. Have you checked out Hobbyking for scale oleo's?

In the link below are some scale oleo's 105mm long but the pin diameter is 3mm. There may be others suitable on hobbyking's website

Link

Edited By Dean on 21/06/2013 17:24:09

They look pretty good, but the pin size is wrong as stated, and like Simon stated may be a bit weedy for this. The rest on that site have the wrong pin size as well, so it is looking more likely just to be wire and keep the landings smooth (oo-err!). Finding thin enough wheels with 70mm diameter is also going to be difficult.

CS

Minor news:

The warbird replicas site have some oleos, at the right scale so I have emailed them with some queries. I have also got a spinner, from Dad's Wot 4 XL kit, which he did not use but it happens to be perfect for a 1/8 MKIX! Once sanded and painted white, it will be perfect.

Scheme will almost certainly be TA805 since I have a lot of pictures of her, but this scheme is ever so slightly tempting me since the last two letters in E-JC are my initials...

But it will still probably be 805! Anyone have some half decent three views of an LF MK IX-E for panel lines?

CS

I have done some research and found this. TA805 is a MK IX 'e', so she has the narrow cannon blister and the cannon barrel on the outside, but unlike the later MK IX e's the cannon barrel fairings taper in- most have the 'cigar' shaped ones. And TA805 has flush rivets, so I won't need to worry about those so much. This is a good website for information on MK IXs, XIs and XVIs.

This is the only 3 view I could find of a IXe, but it doesn't have the underside panel lines, so I may just have to use the underside lines of a 'C' wing..

CS

Hi CS, I have several 3 views including all the panel line markings for I think all the MkIX wings. Let me know your snail mail address and I will scan/copy the ones you need.

The best way to get a good fit for the oleos is use a piece of the same piano wire as the stubs, groove the end with a dremel wheel, and use it as a drill bit to enlarge the oleos. This will give you a perfect fit.

Look forward to seeing you build a Spitfire

Cheers

Danny

• 2 weeks later...

I have got the wheels and have been considering how to mount the retracts while I press on with the Jester.

I may also change scheme (again!) to a different MKIX, one which is being restored so it may not be TA805. But it may be, I'm quite indecisive! Whatever happens I will do a Spitfire of TA805 at some point, probably a bigger one.

CS

Not started yet, but lots of thinking!

While pondering schemes (I'm not very good at choosing!) I have encountered something which could be salutary in this build. Currently holding up a keg of Adnams for a party, it is a large lump of blue foam stuff, which I have seen used for details such as navigation lights. I will use this, perhaps for the chin scoop, so what are good carving techniques for this, and how do you get a nice smooth finish? I assume you have to glass it for paint, but what about glues- PVA perhaps?

CS

I still haven't had a reply from Warbird Replicas, so I won't get their oleos and see how she is once built.

The build has still not started (sorry!) but I am still planning while covering the Jester. This kit has ailerons which are longer than scale (as you can see here ) which for aerodynamic purposes I shall keep, but since our small field is not friendly to sleek low drag planes, much like a Spitfire, I may incorporate some flaps which can not be perfectly scale but will be helpful on landing, and I can do it without adding too much weight. I'll do a proper scale job on a big 83" MKIIa later.

If it was a MK 1 I'd also put a 3 blade prop on for drag, but it is a IX so a two blade will look better.

CS

Here I am to bore you with some more dull information with no building! Engine considerations, how exciting! Well I like it anyway!

I've been considering prop sizes. The scale size prop for this would be a 15" 4 blade (I think, I may be wrong!), which would be possible with an RCV 60SP. But I don't have one! On a bigger MK2A Spit I will fit a reduction drive for a full scale three blade, which will be fun!

The Saito will swing a 13x6 two blade, which having put over the plan still looks impressive and with a little yellow paint on the tips when spinning will look scale enough, and sound it! So on that front I am quite pleased.

It will be inverted, so I have drawn on the plan the lowered tank bay which will be easy. The plan with a side mounted two stroke has the top half of the cowl in plastic which is removable for access to the tank, so with the lowered tank I may be able to get the servos, receiver and battery above the tank so the plastic cowl top will provide access to those and get the weight right up front to solve the Spitfire C of G conundrum. For engine access I will have to make the bottom cowl half removable which the design lends itself nicely too. Great!

The exhaust on the Saito is quite horrible, so I may get a simple pipe one which will look much nicer and unobtrusive. But all in all, the 62a looks like a suitable engine for the job and I should be able to hide it well, even though it is so beautiful I don't want to! An RCV 60 SP would probably be another excellent candidate if you can cool it.

If you have read it all, well done for coping with my shear dreariness! Please comment if you have any suggestions!

CS