You can teach monkeys to fly better than that! Cambrian Spitfire

Concorde Speedbird

Getting an engine to fit neatly is always an issue but I think your Saito option makes perfect sense and should provide more than adequate power. Spitfires are one of those models that always seem to require more time and effort than you first thought, just to stoke up your enthusiasm a little more here is a pic of my nearly ready Mick Reeves quarter scale Spit MK1X so far its been about two years but nearly there. The little spit sat in front is a 1:72 diecast. Linds

spitfire 1x b.jpg

That is stunning, you have done a fabulous job! That one will fly brilliantly, what engine is in that or is it electric?

There are many things that need to be thought out, the retract installation especially. With this model I have found that I will have to think everything out more than with the previous sport models, like you say the engine installation in particular, but I am looking forwards to the challenge. Even the tail wheel is making me think a bit on how to put the scale cover on in balsa! Seeing yours has increased my enthusiasm, even if my one will not be nearly as good! The build will start in a couple of weeks once I am back from France.

Thanks for the input, it is making the thread worthwhile even now, sorry for another essay! I love Spitfires so I write a lot about them! I really want to design and build a scale Concorde in the future, the problem would be that I would probably end up with the longest and dullest thread in history!

CS

CS this has an 80CC MVVS petrol engine, it has been a long project, much longer than most but I am looking forward to seeing her in the air now.

To be honest I think Concorde would work ok, it's probably the factor that at a small size the flight envelope would be quite limited I guess although a concorde doing loops and rolls would look a bit odd not to mention upsetting the passengers.

I look forward to seeing how your Spitfire build progresses. Linds

Oooo looking forward to seeing that Spit at Greenacres next year Lindsay....she's a beauty....thumbs up

This thread is turning into a Danny Fenton build blog.....2 pages in & STILL no sign of any balsa....wink 2 Come on CSB.....the summer hols won't last forever....before you know it it will be late August & you'll be nervously waiting the arrival of that brown envelope from school.....teeth 2

• 3 weeks later...

The plan and parts were put on the bench two days ago, annndddd...

Nothing.

Two days spent staring at the plan, wings and retracts unproductively while amounting a large amount of bewilderment.

Using Saito 40 running as therapy (Very effective and satisfying) and some help from the Father, we have worked out how to do it now, so progress shall begin tomorrow. The wings have to be done first, the retract mounting being the first job, so now we have worked it out I can crack on to find the next conundrum. Like making removable cannons and radio mast. But with some Saito therapy I shall work it out!

CS

But the difference is BEB is doing a not so prominent but very interesting aeroplane and he is a moderator while I am building yet another Spitfire while trying not to mention pointy white things!

I'll start off tomorrow, as soon as you start deviating from the design things take longer. I can glue on leading and false trailing edges and fabricate my retract mounting parts, I won't tell you how I am doing it yet...

I am itching to get going, but that Saito keeps staring at me, asking to be run and have it's needle valves adjusted... Tomorrow I shall start!

CS

Concorde and two Spitfires!

See?!

Well you wanted progress (mainly Steve, and this is not a race with BEB... yet) so here we are.

Retract mounts

These are the retract mounts I have just cut out, the same as the ones on the plan apart from the gap is slightly smaller to suit the retracts. You can see a gap between them, when in the wing they will be touching so you can see the narrow track.

On wing

Here is one on a wing, not how it will actually be because it is not in the wing and it doesn't yet have the forward rake. But all is going well, next some mounting ribs.

CS

If its a race you'll win hands down CSB. Quick at building I am not smile.

On a more general point, sometimes when you're stuck on how exactly you're going do something I find that just sitting and thinking can only get you so far. If its really tricky, sometimes you just have to "commit" and cut something out - even if you can't quite see right to the end of how this is going to work. Its amazing how often, once you actually start handling the parts and moving them around in 3D, everything sort of falls into place and its all obvious. Now you can then see quite clearly that the first thing you cut out that started all this was completely wrong sad - but it doesn't matter, because it has triggered the real idea. Now you do know just how you're going do it and you would never have got that insight without taking a concrete first practical step! smile

So I suppose what I'm saying is sometimes you just have to have the courage to take a leap in the dark and see what comes out of it. The trick is knowing the difference between that and just going at it without knowing what the hell you're doing!!

BEB

I've got foam wings which are nice and quick, but I'm no lightning racer builder either.

It was time to turn the wing from something that looks like it belongs on an Extra into an elliptical wing, so the curved leading edge and false trailing edge are glued on, but it still looks nothing like a Spitfire yet. Next is trailing edge and wing tips, then a lot of sanding to get the profile. Retracts on hold for now, but I know how to do them as well.

CS

Hi CS ,nice to see you building another model ! thumbs up the Cambrian kits have been around for some time now and have a good reputation for being good club weekend flyers that can take the normal ruff n’ tumble of a sports model. However, try not to add to much scale detail as this adds weight and will detract from flying quality’s and make you less inclined to fly it as it looks to nice LOL wink ,just add the essential bits i.e. exhaust stubs, gun blisters ,radiators aerial mast and a bit of weathering.

Here are some pictures of my fun fighter spit with its mighty FP 25 as an example

004.jpg

007.jpg

003.jpg

Very nice that Jeff - I like the weathering - I have mixed feelings about weathering because I feel too many people over do it - and it sort of becomes a "cartoon" effect. I suspect the greatest skill in weathering is knowing when to stop! But that's a really nice example - just right. The "new, shiny out the box" effect has gone to be replaced with a nice toning down of the colours and bit of "wear and tear" -lovely.

How's it going CSB - wings finished? I envy you having the time over the summer hiolidays - make the most of it!

BEB

Lovely Spitfire Jeff, I considered a fun fighter but I wanted something a bit more scale. BEB, you say that but I have not had as much time as you may think, and since I want to do this one with Dad as well since neither of us have done a Spitfire so that self-limits my time, but progress is still rapid.

Some fuselage fun now.

Fuselage

I have lowered the tank floor (horizontal bit) to suit the inverted four stroke which was easy, just had to cut down former 2 and extend former 3, managed to do it without adding weight, maybe saving a bit. I thought about doing some extra weight saving, but went against it since we are still in front of the C of G. When we get back then I will. I will put some triangle stock behind the bulkhead too, just to strengthen it a bit.

Wing tips

These took a while. I got completely covered in dust, but it was superb fun, I love sanding! I printed off some wing drawings to help with shape and obviously I did not go for clipped wings, BEB's Tiffie can do the low altitude business! At a later point I may put on some dummy navigation lights, can anyone find any good pictures of them?

More fuselage next I think.

CS

Oh, coming along nicely CSB. Love those wing tips. I don't think a Spit is a Spit when it has clipped wings!

I too love sanding and planing - currently up to my neck doing the tailplane on mine -its great to see the shape emerge out of the wood. But I'd concurr with John, make sure you use a good quality dust mask - B&Q do some good ones quite cheap - about £20 if you don't have one. (which you probably do! smile)

BEB

Looking good CS, these old Cambrian kits were always built like brick out houses and as you know the lighter the plane the better it flies.
I would change most of the ply to liteply of it isn't already.
What covering are you planning? Glass fibre? Solartex?

Should be a great build to watch. Plus Cambrianplanes are at the Nationals this year so watch this space I might pick one up or a fun fighter

Edited By Tony H on 15/08/2013 18:24:55

Cambrian had a stall at North Weald, it was great speaking to them, we had a good laugh and they had some nice kits there. Go and have a look, it was my favourite stall at NW! This kit is also now back in stock.

As for lightening, obviously I am keeping the ply fuselage sides. I may build another in the future and then try balsa ones. Now I will begin working behind the C of G I will be working meticulously to make it as light as possible, while maintaining good enough strength. Finish will be Tissue and Dope, since it is nice and light.

Right, I have more to do this evening!

CS

And more has been done, the second fuselage side has been glued on the assembly above. Tomorrow it is joining it at the tail and getting more formers in, with lightening anywhere I can. It is exciting, the Spitfire shape is starting to appear, building one is so much fun! Maybe do some more wing work tomorrow as well.

Anyway, here's the navigation light.

Should be easy enough, I'll leave that till later. I am still undecided on scheme as well, need some info from someone, if not then it's 805.

CS