You can teach monkeys to fly better than that! Cambrian Spitfire

Concorde Speedbird

Advert

• 3 weeks later...

that's the stage that says the project is really progressing when you start assembling it in the garden, and it really does look Spitfire shaped. In the words of our management 'it's an incentivisational stage point in the evolution of the product'. They're multilingual including speaking fluent BS at Tatalaugh

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 15/03/2014 14:05:00

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the long delay, I have been building throughout this time but not nearly as much due to many many exams, which are now done so I am firing on all (12) cylinders! While building it yesterday a full size Spitfire flew over, same mark too, which is great inspiration.

It looks quite similar to last time but a lot has been done (honest!) The GRP wing bandage is on and the wing is ready for covering. The fuselage still needs some little bits here and there such as the front of the fairings and more work on the engine cowl (and some cockpit) but all is well. If the cannons look wonky it is because they are not actually on properly yet.

CS

Problem when building Spitfires: Too good looking so too much time is spent assembling and admiring!

First time on all three wheels, tailwheel diameter too large at the moment. I am very pleased so far, what a lovely looking aeroplane. No under wing radiators yet or cannon blisters, but cowl work next before details.

dsc_1437.jpg

dsc_1438.jpg

dsc_1439.jpg

dsc_1440.jpg

dsc_1441.jpg

CS

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another assembly!

Engine in, the front end is basically done now. The exhaust looks a bit ugly, I will try running it on an open pipe to see if it is quiet enough to run, we have another Saito on an open pipe and it is not loud. 13x6 prop looks better, the spinning disk will be almost scale size which is nice.

dsc_1442.jpg

dsc_1443.jpg

Underwing radiators made from Brian Taylor dimensions scaled to my scale. I have also made the carb air intake.

dsc_1444.jpg

dsc_1445.jpg

Weight is 3lbs 13ozs minus covering, paint, servos, battery, receiver and the other scale bits like the radiators which is very good, I should stay under 6lbs so below 25oz/square feet wing loading. And centre of gravity at the moment is spot on. Yay!

CS

Apologies for lack of updates. Yesterday I did a full day on the Spitty, and today the afternoon because I went flying in the morning (need to practice landings...). I have done the cannon blisters, aerial mast, the front end is done, more wheel well work and various other things. Next I need to line the wheel wells with balsa and then it is covering time! Next week I am to be fully covered while I save up for some paints.

Pictures next time!

CS

"Is it straight? So then I went to my Brian Taylor MKIX plan, and the Cambrian plan is absolutely right, it does curve. And some CA and slight bend later..."

On the plane

Hi CS.

Did you find that you needed to soak or steam this to get the bend - or just brute force and CA?

Edited By Geoff Gardiner on 28/07/2014 10:54:55

• 3 months later...

It has been a while...

I have been building uniformly since the last post, usually a bit a day. My usual camera is malfunctioning so I haven't updated the log, and school has been busy. Now panel lines are done and she is ready for paint (YESSSSSSSS!). Panel lines were done on the second primer coat. I got some 1mm wide tape and painted over it, then peeled it off. It has worked very well!

I wanted to get warbird colours paints but I could not afford them, so I got hobby flight enamels from Kings Lynn models (great service). I haven't seen anyone using them on here so I'll test them! I'll do a bit of weathering too. I have this clever weathering device that continually makes the aeroplane look slightly oily and used. It's called a Saito, makes a nice noise too!

I will try to update more regularly with pictures. Target is to have her flown before the end of the year. If I haven't crashed it, I'd like to take it to Greenacres, but that usually falls in exam time and it is quite a trek too.

CS