You can teach monkeys to fly better than that! Cambrian Spitfire

Concorde Speedbird

Let's go back in time to see the state of the wheels initially.

Alright, I have done everything I can and here we go...

Wheels

Yes! The wheels are in flush. The legs and units are protruding a bit, but with cunningly shaped doors the legs will disappear and maybe I can paint the units themselves. The reason it is like that is because of the thin thin wing limiting how deep I could place them. But overall it has come out very well, and they don't look bad down.

CS

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

• 3 weeks later...

Hi CS.

How are things progressing with the build?

I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind.

What wheels did you go for (and where did you get them). I note on the plan is says 70mm wheels but in the instruction book it suggest using 50mm if installing retracts.

Also, I notice the wing joining method does not have a brace glued in. Does it appear strong enough with just butt jointed foam glued together - I guess you will be reinforcing the joint with fiibre glass and epoxy.

The build is progressing well.

I don't know why they suggest 50mm wheels for retracts, I used the scale sized 70mm. The wheels are just ones I picked up at a model show and don't seem to have a brand, but they are thin which is the key.

It seems strong, but you can only tell when the GRP bandage is on. I wouldn't worry about braces, it just increases the weight and therefore the load on the wing.

CS

Hi CSB - I was getting worried about you! Glad the build is progressing - though you are right about the shed getting a bit chillier this time of year. I was in there over the weekend and it just on the lower edge of OK!

Very good job on the wheels - that looks so much better. It amazing what a bit of skill and perseverance can achieve. Well done!

Any progress piccies?

BEB

It's just planking and various other bits and pieces like the now partially removable cowl at the moment. The next major job is mounting the wing and making the fairings. My shed gets very cold, I think my record is minus 2 when Domino building last winter, but nothing that some extra few layers can't stop!

I'm not sure about skill, rather some excellent advice from you and others that did the job.

CS

• 1 month later...

Ahh CS now you are on to one of the most difficult parts of a Spitfire in my oppinion. The wing fairing and cowl bulges being the others that sprang immediately to mind.

The tail fairings/fillets MUST be light yet they are not insignificant. The way I did them on the TN Spit was painfully slow but did work. In that method I built up layers of sheet either side of the fin. You have to watch the weight of the glue using that method.

Foam would be the lightest, but you would have to be more skillful than me to make it work embarrassed

So bottom line is probably blocks of very soft balsa, profiled to the top of the tailplane.

Cheers

Danny

Looks great CSB - definitely taking on that "Spitfire Look".

For the fillets another possibility would be resin and micro-balloons. Light but strong. If you want to try this experiment a bit first - there is a "window" with this stuff, between about 20 mins and 30 mins after mixing and applying in which it has a consistency a bit like plasticine. You can carve it at this time to the rough shape you want, you then finish with sanding. If you choose (as I do) to use your fingers to shape the fillet (by placing the stuff there then drawing a finger along the joint) you must wear latex gloves or similar with this stuff - if you get it on your fingers in any quantity is the devil to get it off again - ask me how I know that! embarrassed

BEB

I have tried filler, I use it a lot to smooth things out, it's great. BEB, I still don't understand how that is done.

Well a new year arrives, the year when this thing will (hopefully!) fly. So I better build it.

The cowl is much better now, the picture doesn't show it well. Now there is a nice constant and subtle gap between the backplate and spinner. I made my own backplate and did it differently.

Still plenty of sanding to fit flush, but it is getting there and starting to look right.

CS

Some hinging on the last day of the holidays.

Tail

The built up control surfaces are worth every effort in my opinion, much better than sheet. The black marks are due to an accident with some oil, the wood is fine. Also worthy of note is that the plan shows the MKI-V elevator balance, not the extended MK IX ones which I have incorporated. I think it is nice, what about you?

CS