You can teach monkeys to fly better than that! Cambrian Spitfire

Concorde Speedbird

Advert

I have fuel proofed the whole airframe. I will do the engine bay this evening. The roundels are also now on.

The evening sun was rather nice so I took a couple of pictures.

In the evening sun

Here are the exhausts with some weathering. I used some soot and rubbed it on before fuel proofing.

Exhaust weathering

Now it is time to install the engine, retracts and all the internals. Then she is finished!

CS

I have installed the engine and retracts. Irritatingly the die is blunt, so I can't cut any threads till Friday. Anyway, this is with everything in apart from the fuselage servos, battery, receiver and fuel tank.

Not quite finished!

I checked up the weight, and it should come to about 6lbs when dry, which was my target so I am very pleased with that. The centre of gravity looks good, so I should not need to add any weight.

CS

Thank you very much! I wasn't sure if it would come out well on a few occasions, especially seeing some of the fantastic Spitfires that have been built on this forum, so it is very warming to get such nice comments. Thank you again!

I am getting a die on Friday so I will finish it during the weekend. I need to get some flying practice before the maiden so I am ready, I haven't done much recently because I have been focusing my time on building. So expect a maiden in the next few weeks.

I have really enjoyed this build, it is almost a shame it has come to an end. But I am pleased with the outcome.

CS

Been watching this build from the start great job well done I bet the maiden will be little stressful to say the leastwink . this may be the end of this build but can be the start of the next! I wonder what that may be mmm 3d ????? Keep them coming its great to see what others are building and how it all comes together.

Hi CS.

That's looking rather fine - I hope mine turns out as good.

I have been fiddling with little bits here and there and am now ready to paint. Problem is, everywhere is out of stock of dark green. I shall keep looking.

Can I ask, what did you use for reference when setting out the panel lines?

Haven't weighed mine yet - too scared (it might be a tad heavy).

Geoff...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Now it is completely finished! I was going to take some pictures for you but it started raining. I'll get some when it stops.

I have run the engine, which was faultless. I have heard horror stories about inverted engines but it was fine. The Saitos are ever so good. I have taken the muffler off because it looks better. It wasn't much louder with it off but if it is too loud when it is in the air then I will fit it again.

All up weight is 6lbs 6oz, which is a bit heavier than I would have liked. I think that is due to the plywood fuselage sides and brushed invasion stripes. I'll just have to keep the speed up. The wing area is generous so that's a plus point. I am very much hoping the retract mounts survive!

So I'll be back once I have flown/crashed it. Hopefully the former! It's a good kit and Cambrian have done a nice job with the outline, but some of the materials could be lighter, particularly those fuselage sides. But overall I am very pleased with it.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread and helped. It really has helped. I hope you have enjoyed reading it!

CS

Thank you very much Bob, I will do that.

Finished and ready to fly.

Finished

This is photo 100 by the way!

Photo 100

My favourite view of this aeroplane...

One of the cats seems to approve...

Cat likes it...

The sun was a bit blinding in these photos so sorry about that. I will fly it at the next opportunity. Which with our weather could be in 5 years!

CS

Brilliant, CS. It looks fabulous in the sun. I hope you don't mind me asking, but are you going to add the serial numbers to the rear fuselage? They would be nicely visible against the white/sky stripe, so probably a worthwhile addition if you can find some stickers.

I know what you mean about the weather. I'm still waiting to maiden my foamie Spitfire conversion. It seems that every time there is some suitable weather which coincides with me being free and the patch mown short enough, I feel too out of practice and chicken out...

Soon!

Posted by The Wright Stuff on 31/07/2015 13:42:41:

Brilliant, CS. It looks fabulous in the sun. I hope you don't mind me asking, but are you going to add the serial numbers to the rear fuselage? They would be nicely visible against the white/sky stripe, so probably a worthwhile addition if you can find some stickers.

Yes- I will either find some correctly sized stickers or cut my own from self adhesive black stuff. Thanks for reminding me!

Thank you all for the compliments, it's taken a while but I think the result is worth it!

CS