You can teach monkeys to fly better than that! Cambrian Spitfire

Concorde Speedbird

I had a great day at the Old Buckenham airshow today. The P-51 Ferocious Frankie put on one of the best displays I have ever seen, it was superb. Spitfire MH434 was also excellent, as well as all the flying. I was very sad to hear about the Blackbushe, Gnat and Spitfire incidents, particularly the fatalities.

Today was the day. There was a steady breeze which I liked because it would help on take off and landing. The direction was not the best, but good enough.

I started her up which was not a problem. I was very nervous and a bit shaky and sweaty! But I prevailed, and got ready for take off after many control checks.

The aeroplane did not nose over easily which I was very happy with! Raking the legs forwards more than scale was a good idea. So I steadily increased the power, and she set off down the runway. Ground handling was good, and she leapt into the air!

I was a bit shaky at first, but I steadied out and started climbing into the circuit and adding a bit of aileron trim. Wheels up- check, and into flying.

What a fantastic aeroplane! She is fast compared to the biplanes and Wot 4s I usually fly, but not really fast which is nice, looks more realistic. The power from the Saito 62 is sublime, more than enough which means I can moderate it. It sounds nice too, and cooling seems fine. Rolls are really nice, and all-round handling and gentle aerobatics are lovely to execute. The weight feels light in the air which made me happy! I let Dad do the landing because I was being too hesitant thanks to nerves, and he executed a perfect landing and said it was easy. Retract mounts still in perfect condition!

She looks really lovely. I watched a full size Spitfire today, and the Cambrian one has a very nice outline which looks right in the air. I am very pleased with that since a lot of them do not. The invasion stripes really help with visibility, it is easier to see than my Domino! I couldn't see my panel lines in the air unsurprisingly, but I knew they were there!

I am very happy! This aeroplane flies much better than I expected it to. I imagine the stall is more pronounced when there is less wind, but it is better to have a bit of speed anyway. It is really brilliant, I am looking forwards to flying it again and getting more confident with her! Who said Spitfires are hard to fly?!

I'll post some pictures, and I have a video of the take off that I will try to get up soon.

CS

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you very much!

I haven't got around to flying her again since I have been way to busy. I am moving out soon and she won't be coming with me initially due to lack of storage, so I will try to fly her again before I go.

I have never liked grey propellers on warbirds so I have swapped the APC with a Graupner G-Sonic prop of the same size and pitch- which is black. Some yellow paint on the tips and now it looks better, and it will be much better when spinning. I like the G-Sonic props since I have gained lots of top end RPM with them on other engines, so I will get a bit more power too, as if I needed it!

Better looking Propeller

CS

• 2 weeks later...