Orangerx flight stabiliser

Phil Winks

Advert

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 06/09/2014 07:56:07:
Posted by Masher on 06/09/2014 07:25:15:

Post mortem results show that actually, the aileron correction control was backwards.

Human, rather than equipment, error, then?crook

Pete

Probably - assuming the post mortem is correct.

The point is, 2 experienced flyers did the pre-flight checks and couldn't see the aileron was wrong - it's a very small adjustment. People who choose to use this (some may be much less experienced) need to take great care. Checking controls normally is one thing, this needs an extra level of vigilance.

Still wouldn't trust it anyway!

Posted by Masher on 06/09/2014 08:32:25:

Post mortem results show that actually, the aileron correction control was backwards.

Pete

The point is, 2 experienced flyers did the pre-flight checks and couldn't see the aileron was wrong - it's a very small adjustment. People who choose to use this (some may be much less experienced) need to take great care. Checking controls normally is one thing, this needs an extra level of vigilance.

Sorry,did you say "couldn't see the aileron was wrong"? Stick left Left Aileron Up, Stick right Left Aileron Down

I really don't see how you can implicate the stabiliser when the fundamentals of flight were ignored and the experienced pilot did carry out basic pre-flight checks correctly I suggest that you look closer to home than making a scapegoat of the rig

To be fair, it's a check that is better done without any distractions as you might get on a flying site. When checking the surface movement by moving the wing or tail, you need to ensure that the control surface moves towards the direction in which the wing/tail is being moved.

Not too difficult with rudder/elevator but with ailerons in particular, the small correcting movement may be a tad difficult to interpret, and as many of us are no longer in the first flush of youth.......smile

Pete

Haven't had a problem with mine as yet. If you are unsure that the control surfaces are moving the correct way to smooth things out (not basic moving in the correct sense), turn the gyro gains to maximum and move the plane by hand in pitch, roll and yaw. You can then see if the control surfaces move in the correct direction to try to counteract the movement. When you are sure all is well just turn down the gain.

I have to agree with Adrian here when setting these up set the gains to max to check the control movement lift a wing and the aileron will be seen to move up then same with elevator and push the tail right and the rudder will or should move right then dial them down to about 20% of max and gradually increase with each flight till your happy, my advice would be don't set one up for the 1st time with out you have the manual/instructions printed out and in front of you inexperience is the killer with these, I fly a high wing trainer style of about 4lbs with one in and it helps no end in high (15-20mph) and blustery winds most of the time its turned of but when every one else with small / light models is packing up due to wind I'm still flying laugh

Like everything orangerx its a marmite thing and most of the horror stories I've heard are either not understanding the limitations and or using them with a different brand of Tx,

Posted by cymaz on 06/09/2014 07:02:06:

There might be some dirt or grit under it. Have you tried an air jet of some sort to blow into it?

Thanks cymaz, I tried that this morning. I kinda doubt there is any dirt. It went from the package to the plane. It has never been flown. If you are looking at the gyro with the antenna facing forward, and the dip switches on the left. Which way do you move the switch. Right or left?

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 06/09/2014 08:38:57:
Posted by Masher on 06/09/2014 08:32:25:

Pete

Sorry,did you say "couldn't see the aileron was wrong"? Stick left Left Aileron Up, Stick right Left Aileron Down

I really don't see how you can implicate the stabiliser when the fundamentals of flight were ignored and the experienced pilot did carry out basic pre-flight checks correctly I suggest that you look closer to home than making a scapegoat of the rig

Yes you've missed the point Dave. I am talking about the correction control which, at a low gain setting, is hard to see as stated by Pete B. Changing gain at the field is not recommended.

Anyway, I have no axe to grind and people will do as they wish. As long as I have made a couple of people think more when testing these things out, then the post was worth it.

Over & out!

Hey Pilots. I have yet another issue with my Orange Rx. Just to refresh your memory, I have the OrangeRx receiver with the built in gyro (one unit). I have it mounted, and ready to go. All that is left is how to turn it on and off from my DX8. I was chatting with a HK tech and he said just map the radio switch (gear, flaps whatever) to AUX1 I did that. Won't turn on or off. Am I missing something?

Hi Jerry, I have some experience of the Orange stabiliser, not the one with built-in receiver but the stand alone stabiliser, but it looks like the same thing!

Did you manage to get dip switch 6 (Aux_Ctrl/Gyro) to switch properly? You should get a positive click as it switches. If not then it may be stuck in the Gyro position and you won't be able to switch it on and off.

I notice that the manual says that when the switch is to the Right side the Gyro function will be controlled by the Aux signal. That's not very helpful as I can't be sure which is right or left on this unit! So, trial and error is the order of the day! Try it both directions.....

Assuming the switch is operating, on your transmitter use an off/on switch to control the stabiliser - I would suggest the Gear switch. Ensure that the switch is using the full on/off range, i.e. there are no sub-trims restricting its 'movement'.

Connect everything, turn all the gain potentiometers to fully clockwise to maximum. Connect power to the receiver and switch on the transmitter.

Check that all the servos respond to the transmitter. Assuming they work OK, then waggle the plane. Do the servos operate as they try to correct the movement? If so the gyro is working. Flick the Gear switch on the transmitter. Waggle the plane again, do the servos still work? If not then all is OK and you can reduce the gains to a sensible amount.

If the gyro doesn't turn off when the Gear switch is operated, try reversing the Gear channel on the transmitter and see if that solves the problem.

If you can get it to work, do ensure that the 'auto-correction' is in the right direction, i.e. if you drop the right wing then right aileron should go down to oppose the drop. Start with almost no gain and slowly increase it until the stabilisation is right - if you overdo it the unit will become too sensitive and the plane will tend to oscillate.

Hope you can get it going. GDB

• 4 weeks later...

Have an orange gyro mounted in a 45" span 25oz Stevens models Giles - very light - and think it is a fantastic bit of kit.

Bringing the aircraft in to land, and coming in low and fast on a really blustery day is a thrilling experience, watching the aircraft ever so slightly rocking left and right, but maintaining a perfect heading. Fantastic, A true bargain, thats for sure.

• 1 month later...

Installed the new RX/Stabiliser in my Seagull Decathlon EP and after 8 flights on blustery days which I wouldn't normally fly in, my verdict is that it's a great peice of kit. Took off on one flight with it switched off and the wind was making it really twitchy as it climbed away. Switched it on and it transformed into its usual pussy cat mode flying straight and true hands off without the merest wobble. Love it when my DX9 calmly announces "Stabiliser Mode" when I flick it on and "Normal Mode" when I switch it off!