FrSky Taranis - user chat

Bob Cotsford

Advert

As I said, the amount of trim I put in was barely noticeable when observed once landed (move battery back a little)

Just an observation on the differences from my 9x which become noticeable once you fly with the box, as I use it more, no doubt other differences will be noticed. The servos are micro ones the tiny output horns will have also played a part in the amount the trim moves, again something new to me. I've also noticed I can have pretty pictures of the model alongside the name (already got them)teeth 2

John

I've used instant trim on a couple of maidens and it does exactly what it says on the tin, but you really would want to disable it before attempting any aerobatic flights! As I fly mode 2 it's easy enough to concentrate on keeping s&l with the right stick while flicking SF to set the neutrals with the other hand. If the trims are way out it might take a couple of stabs to get it right-ish. Then land and disable or even better delete the IT special function.

I've just updated to 2.11 no issues to report. Fixes a number of small issues:

[Taranis]

• Switch warning didn't allow access to SG
  • Pot warning would show S3 when the cursor wasn't on the Pot Warning line

[9XR-PRO]

• Audio broken (since we changed the ARM GCC compiler)

[Companion]

• Limits EEPROM export was broken (all boards except Taranis)
  • Fix issue when a GVAR was used as Offset

[All]

• Duration and AND fixed on Sticky and Edge logical switches

[Taranis]

• CCPM issue on Helis when cross trims used
  • Taranis+ LCD color range and brightness adjusted
  • Taranis+ SWR removed
  • Lua small enhancements (TIMEHOUR constant, GVARS over 500)
  • Lua hardening, use of newlib-nano (optimizes RAM usage)
  • Incoming telemetry rejected if RSSI=0
  • Assign Bitmap impossible if filename length too big

[9XR-PRO]

• Telemetry enabled

[Companion]

• Taranis is now the default board in General Settings
  • GVARS allowed in Limits min/max/offset
  • Limits displayed in us when ppmus option selected

Edited By David... on 10/09/2014 23:13:45

Hi all!

Been a Taranis user for about a year now. Awesome radio!

I have a couple of the D4R-II receivers which I move between models, but I keep all the wiring attached to the model. I use the analog / data port on the side of the RX to get my flight battery volts into A2.

The D4R-II has a small 4 pin socket on the side of the unit.

Does anyone know what type / family of connector the analog / data port socket is?

Does anyone know if anyone (in the UK, if possible) sells the analog / data cable separately?

Thanks!

Edited By Jim Mchugh on 16/09/2014 16:11:32

Hi Jim

I had exactly the same problem when I was making my own Spektrum Amp sensors.

For those, I needed ZHR-4 connectors. These you need though, are a tiny bit smaller.

The other issue I had, was that crimp tools to make up these tiny leads are horrendously expensive. So I ended up buying 4 way plastic shells from Farnell and 3 way leads from hobbyking. I canibalised the leads for the ready crimped wires.

I think the best bet for these would be to contact T9 and ask them to request that FrSky supply them as a spare.
It's a very obvious item that they should have available.

(PS - Flying this week? I can do Wed evening, Sat morning or Sun, maybe.)

Chris,

Thanks for the info, I will ask the FrSky forum what the exact connector type is.

I only actually need one wire, because the ground 0v is already connected on the PSU three way plug powering the RX, so I just need to connect to A2. I might see if a single Dupont type female will go in.

I can't do Wednesday evening, but definately Saturday and / or Sunday mornings.

What time will you be at the field?

Cheers!

Update: A single female Dupont is fair too big to fit in...

Update 2: I found some! Tucked away from when I built my Bixler 2. Dunno why 'cos the RX in that doesn't even have that connector on! Problem solved...

Edited By Jim Mchugh on 16/09/2014 18:22:19

Edited By Jim Mchugh on 16/09/2014 18:45:05

Excellent article on the Taranis in the Special Chris, but one trick you missed is that it's recommended practise to set up 100% rate lines as the last on a control, and not to put a switch on it. The reasoning is that if a switch should develop a fault or faulty programming logic (ie if you use logical switches for rates and end up with a null value) then the rates logic will fail to select any input line, if the 100% line has no switch assigned it will become the default.

If you convert from an earlier firmware to 2.x.x then the conversion process will actually set this up as an extra mix line.

Thanks Bob, and I agree completely.

The problem with writing an article is what to leave out, and with that example I was trying to give a flavour of how things are done, while still keeping it as simple as possible for those who don't have a Tx.

TBH I don't think it's a huge issue, a faulty switch must be pretty rare, and anyone using logic switches for rates really need to know exactly what they're doing anyway. But you're right to point it out.

Just a little more confirmation on connectors:-

Using the FVAS-02 with the D4R-II Receiver

The FVAS-02 sensor ships with cables that allow it to be attached to the "D-mode" 8-channel receivers. The supplied Y-cable will not physically fit the D4R-II receiver which uses 1.27mm pitch JST connectors instead of the 1.5mm pitch JSTs on the 8-channel receivers. You need to make up a suitable cable using the cables supplied with the D4R-II receiver. User jj604 has described the configuration he used and took the accompanying pictures.

That's from this page on eflightwiki

Posted by Dave Bran on 17/09/2014 06:22:59:

There may be more elbow room, but a single 31 page non-specific "Chat" thread which is growing by the day is probably also not the best vehicle to lodge and later recover useful information that remains timely and relevent.

I agree Dave. The same thing happened at RCGroups forum which is probably the biggest global community and that ended up being several hundred pages long and containing huge amounts of important info. Many items in that were relevant to new users.

If you have techy info or want info start a new thread.

Rob

I totally agree and this has been bothering Chris and I for a while. We have set up a whole board for FrSky, and I did have a go at "leading by example" a month or two ago and setting up new specific threads for specific issues (which drew questions from some of the anti-Taranis group about "why there was more than one thread about the Taranis"!!!)

Anyway the solution to this is very much in our hands. Let's resolve that from now on we will start new threads for specific topics and leave this thread for just the general chat about the system etc. OK?

BEB

ChrisB and other FrSky telemetry users...

I've tracked down an easy source for cable mounted plugs (they are actually female) that FrSky use on their small telemetry enabled receivers such as my D4R-II.

They appear to be called "Molex PicoBlade 1.25mm 4 way" and they are stocked by Farnell in the UK.

Housing: Farnel Part Number 9733116 - £0.11 each - Pack of 5 minimum

Crimp Pins: Farnell Part Number 1704246 - £0.09 each - Pack of 100 minimum

I am going to try to order some throught companies Farnell account, which they let us do for low value items.

All the dimensions appear to match up.

I don't beleive the £225 (!!!!!!!) crimp tool will be needed and I will be able to fold over the crimps using needle nose pliers and a magnifier...

Let you know how I get on...

Cheers!

Posting:

It would be handy if we could give access to the EEPE files when passing on advice or looking for help with Taranis & other Frsky products. This forum software won't let us do it directly but it could be done using Dropbox which is a free storage & file exchange facility.

Are there any other Dropbox users willing to set up shared folders that can be accessed by other forum members on a "by invitation" basis ?

Posted By PatMc on 17/09/2014 22:35:54.

Seems to be missing but received by email notification ?????????????

There is a thread at openrc forums where you can upload eepe files;

**LINK**

Rob

Hi Rob,

Pat's post is not missing - just moved to here. where you might like to join the discussion and make that contribution.

We are trying to stop this thread from turning into the monster that similar threads on other forums have become - where they have grown to hundreds of pages. Such interest in Taranis is great - the problem is a lot of good and useful stuff simply gets lost because no one can be bothered searching the enormous single thread for it.

So, we are encouraging people to stop posting new ideas, that might have longer term interest, here and instead get them to start new threads within the FrSky board. This should make it much easier in future for users to locate useful material.

Let's keep this thread by all means - but let's confine it to genuine general "chat" about Taranis - rather than our one and only sole depository of absolutely everything!

BEB