FrSky Taranis - user chat

Bob Cotsford

Hmm, I give up, this makes it clear as mud.

The Aloft description of the replacement charge circuit:-

High quality OEM replacement switches from FrSky that includes the NiMH 2000 mAh charge circuit. This unit can be used to upgrade early "A" model Taranis radios to have the "B" model Taranis charge circuit that supports longer charge times when used with the upgraded 2000mAh battery. (A model radios will charge with a steady green LED, but this newer charge circuit will charge with a flashing green LED, and it goes steady when battery is fully charged.)

Now, mine flashes at the start of charge, but the LED soon goes steady, and then much later it goes off, which I assume is charge completed.

Advert

I also think there's some confusion at to what a Version B Taranis is.

On 24th Oct 2013. FrSky posted this on their own forum:-

How to know your radio is “Version B”?
The serial number on the radio back module cover marked “B” as blow picture.

What is hardware improved on “version B”?
We has modified the Taranis radio Audio-amp for louder clearer sound and the main board is being re-done - to allow for a higher cap internal charge control circuit for a large battery if fitted(such as 2000mAH) on this version.
Also, the SD-card content was updated

I don't know if I'll make it any clearer at all!!

My Taranis came with the better sliders, but with the 800mAh battery. For definite!!

Since it came with the small battery, I assumed the charge cct board was the original, too. When I decided to change it for the 2000mAh battery, for the small price and not wanting to take a chance of delay, I ordered the correct charge board.

When this came, and I compared the two with the old one out, they had differing value major resistors (I didn't record what but they were not the same value banding, quite different). That satisfied me that the cct board I had from new was the 800mAh ONLY rated board.

BOTH my charge boards operate(d) exactly the same way, they both start(ed) the green rear LED flashing for a few seconds, then turn(ed) green steady for the full charge length, then OUT when they are charged. The 2000mAh battery charge time is fast enough to be satisfied that it is charging at the correct rate.

I repeat, mine does NOT go green steady to indicate full charge, it goes out!

Yes, Chris, my LiPo comment was generic, IMO a LiPo in a Tx is an accident waiting to happen, and there are a variety of accidents available to the user.

Posted by Andrew Ray on 03/08/2014 16:09:25:

I am not sure I understand the reluctance of using LiPo batteries as they are now used in many consumer electrical goods, such as the mobile phone, that will be on charge in the house with little concern.

Me neither Andrew. Use a 2S LiPo, take it out for charging, balance charge it just as you would a flight pack, and I can't see any issues at all. The low battery alarm would need adjusting, but that is very easy indeed.

The one possible issue that I see, is that of the number of plug in and out cycles, possibly causing damage to the socket in the Tx. I'll continue to carry a small LiPo just in case I'm ever caught out with a low Tx battery at the field.

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 03/08/2014 17:10:01:

I have a box full of dead, puffed up Lipos but not one of Nimh`s. Mostly after one flight of gentle use. Unless you wish to try for an endurance record, why bother? Nuff said.

You need to change your lipo supplier. All of mine have lasted for years, some have puffed a bit but none have died.

The real problem with Lipos is firstly, they need to be brought to storage levels if you aren't going to be using them for a while - a LiFe doesn't have that problem and, also, it's self discharge rate is better than Lipo (you can safely leave it in the transmitter for weeks on end without having to do anything). A LiFe also doesn't have the problems associated with a Lipo should you accidentally leave the Tx on overnight (or even over the weekend)

I'd say, that I've had many more problems with NiMhs, over the years, than I've ever had with LiPos.

I thought I'd rid myself of NiMhs for good, when I switched to LiFe Rx packs. But here I am, using them in a Tx just because of the built in charger. Ah well, let's hope that the quality of these is better than some I've had!

Mine came with the original 800 NiMh but I've had so many problems with Ni batteries of late that I fitted a 3s LiFe. I'm using a servo plug and socket connected to the Tx plug so I never need to disturb the OEM plug in the transmitter. I charge it once every blue moon, but only if it needs it. I never worry about charging in the evening in case I get a chance to go flying the next day.

My FF9 came with a dedicated Tx LiPo fitted, I understand it has some form of internal balancing mechanism as there is no balance plug and again I just charge it every couple of months.

I don't love nimhs either, I get false peaks when I charge them dont know I have changed my flight packs for LIFe's, I get on better with these. No problem with Lipo's myself I have never had an issue with one. I do like the 3s LIFe idea though...what battery did you use Bob ? Also I don't understand what you mean re plugging in to Tx. As for repeated unplugging of a pack to charge, we do it with Lipo's all the time, never broken a plug or socket yet and i'm as clumsy as they comeembarrassed

John

Thanks for all the info, folks! Mine does seem to br the B model - under the module cover the sticker says, 'B01 GB RB 28/04/2014'

It came with an 800mAh NiMH which I've replaced with a 2000mAh one, the LED does flash initially on plugging in the cahrge lead, then it remains on steadily, and some time later on goes out.

I received mine last month from T9. Manufacture date 28/6/14 and it has the 2000maH battery. Charged it on my balance charger so have not tired the factory charger yet. I read they came with an 800maH battery and ordered a LiFe battery at the same tine for it which I may use later.

Rob

Re the 2000mAH charging circuit : I quoted the sequence of the green LED from the Aloft Hobbies in my previous post. Since then I charged my Taranis that had been in use for about 2 hours (I'm not certain but I think it was at 7.5V) it flashed to start then after about 10 - 15 minutes I noticed it had gone steady. At this point I unplugged & checked the voltage, it was 8.1v. Re-plugged & left it until eventually after a couple of hours I noticed the LED had gone out. Voltage was 8.6v but dropped to 8.5v after a few minutes.
Looks to me like the LED flashes as it does a high initial charge then it goes steady whilst the charge is at a low rate & finaly goes out when the charge is complete.

Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 03/08/2014 17:48:31:

The real problem with Lipos is firstly, they need to be brought to storage levels if you aren't going to be using them for a while - a LiFe doesn't have that problem and, also, it's self discharge rate is better than Lipo (you can safely leave it in the transmitter for weeks on end without having to do anything). A LiFe also doesn't have the problems associated with a Lipo should you accidentally leave the Tx on overnight (or even over the weekend)

I only ever bring lipos to storage level if they aren't going to be used for a long time & the temp in the garage, where most are stored, is likely to be very low. (i.e. mid winter)

I have old 35 meg FF7 Tx that's been relegated for use only when bench testing motors etc. It's powered by a 3S Rhino that must be 4 or 5 years old. This gets charged when it drops to between 11.1 & 11.5v then when fully re-charge it's stored until it's used again. It hasn't been re-charged or used for at least 6 months but showed 12.6v when I switched it on today. I dare say that the Tx display is a bit optimistic but I don't think the true reading will be below 12.3v.
As for accidentaly leaving a Tx on overnight, I don't think it's something to lose sleep over wink 2. It's unlikely a lipo would be fitted to a Tx that hasn't got an audible LV alarm or, since this thread is about the Taranis, an "inactivity" alarm.

Personaly I'm happy to have the 2000mAH NiMh in my Taranis with the original 800mA battery kept it the carry case as a reserve.

Edited By PatMc on 03/08/2014 23:57:43

Posted by PatMc on 03/08/2014 23:54:56:

As for accidentaly leaving a Tx on overnight, I don't think it's something to lose sleep over wink 2. It's unlikely a lipo would be fitted to a Tx that hasn't got an audible LV alarm or, since this thread is about the Taranis, an "inactivity" alarm.

Edited By PatMc on 03/08/2014 23:57:43

Obviously you have never encountered Murphy's Law laugh