FrSky Taranis - user chat

Bob Cotsford

I've been flying this afternoon, perfect conditions and during the second flight I got a "low RSSI warning," so I kept away from that area over a factory and was well for the rest of the afternoon. I'm really likely the telemetery and voice announcements.

I have added a voice file for altitude, but ant find a way of linking that to speak it from the GPS data, anyone done that?

Advert

Received Signal Strength Indicator I have my radio set (actually I think it's a default setting) to make an announcement when it falls below a preset value, 42 I think. It's actually a logarithmic value referenced to a known value which I think is 1uVolt (micro volt) which is a usual receiver baseline value, anyway a change of value between 47 and 42 represents a drop in signal strength of 1/2 which is a lot, the value is typically 80 at close range so each drop of six represents a 1/2 of the previous voltage. These changes in receive voltages are huge but normal.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 16/05/2014 17:39:04:

David - if you select "play value" in custom functions - then in the parameter list there are items such as GPSAlt etc. You can then put that to play once, repeat every "n" seconds and also turn it on and off via a switch.

BEB

Hi BEB, thanks, that's working now, I previously tried 'Play Track' did not think to use or see play value, I thought it odd that was not supported.

The Taranis is getting better and better

Posted by Brian Lambert on 16/05/2014 18:28:02:

Martyn K I am not shure that the case in your first photo is closed properly.

Thanks Brian. You are correct. I was just doing a test fit when I took the photo. It is all fastened up now.

BW

Martyn

For anyone particularly interested in the telemetry functions, here's a series of graphs from a flight on my electric Sea Fury this evening.
These graphs all span the same timeframe, so for example, comparisons can be made directly between motor current, and throttle stick position, if necessary referring to the altitude graph to get some idea of whether the model was climbing or descending.

Note that there's still some development required of the graphing software, especially of the scales at the sides of the graphs.

fury mah - consumption.jpg

fury battery volts1.jpg

fury thr posn.jpg

fury current.jpg

fury altitude.jpg

To be continued...

fury rx volts.jpg

fury rx signal level.jpg

This one shows the retract switch and flap slider positions during the flight.

fury retracts and flaps.jpg

This last one is a graph of the ammount of flap to elevator mix I was dialling in, to adjust the flap compensation setting whilst in flight. In this case, I seemed to hit a good setting first go. Again, the scale of the graph doesn't seem to make much sense.

fury flap ele comp.jpg

I'm using my data to plot where my signal is good and bad, I fly adjacent to an industrial estate and I can now see over one particular building and the GPS is telling me exactly which one, I consistently get inference and 'Low RSSI' reports from the TX. For me this is peace of mind and safe flying because I don't want to crash, I'm tired of buying again or building again, this is why I'm liking the Taranis so much now, the moment I hear a warning I react to it, quite how I ever flew blind before is, well down to luck I think. The problem is today, you can't be too careful as there will (now) always be someone to criticise or complain or will want compensation for what we might class as an accident or flying incident...

David... I agree it's very useful indeed to have the low RSSI warning capability. Note, though, that I have never yet had the warning and would be very wary indeed if I did get one. I'd want to make substantial changes to either the installation, or where I fly.

I'm afraid your post also begs the question - what are you doing flying over a building anyway?

PS - A low RSSI indication, useful as it is, doesn't tell the whole story. If the Rx is getting massive interference and/or swamping by a much stronger signal, it isn't going to show this.

Chris, I'm now beginning to think that it's not the building, but my orientation to the model, as its occurred to me that I tend to fly with my back to the model at that position in the normal flight path that I tend to follow. Yes I agree I should not be flying over the building, it is usually about 100-150M high when I do (I now know), but I am no-longer going to do that.

I will review the receiver installation today and re-position/align the Rx antennas to see if signal strength improves in this one sector or when the Tx is being shielded by me. I can tell through the RSSI how many dB of attenuation there is from my body absorption, in-fact I may do all this on the ground as it is a harsher test and I can record the values.

I Noticed with my DX8i, that (as Spektrum say its normal) that I got (should expect) typically 50-80 frame losses in a typical 5-mins flight, so this is a wider issue. Actually I hardly ever got a frame loss.

As you say David, with most other systems you'd never even have a clue whether you had a problem or not, right up until that horrible moment when the model stops responding.

Do your aerials (just the little end bits) follow the usual simple guidelines?

As far apart as you can get them.
At right angles to each aother.
Away from any other wiring or metal.
Not inside any kind of conductive fuselage such as carbon.
Not close to any big "lump" that might sheild them in a particular orientation. Such as a battery or engine.

On Friday I was flying my Phoenix 2000 on Friday and experienced a signal loss at about 100ft altitude and about 150ft from me.

The battery was full charged and had only had one powered ascent to about 600 feet. There was no doubt in my mind that I had lost control as all flight control was lost. The model was close enough to hear the motor and this did not start up at command.

The Phoenix god bless her, did her own thing for about ten seconds. I then switched the Tx off and back on again, regained signal lock and brought her into land pretty sharpish.

The rx was, ditched by the way, an Orange full range type that has given faultless service in the past. I did check it when back on the ground but the service light was not blinking, but I cannot remember if they signal a brown out.

Little concerned.

Rob.

Well SC, its clearly early days for Taranis. But I have to say I have experienced nothing but a rock solid connection - even at limits of sight almost! But I do exclusively use X8R receivers.

On what I have heard and experienced I would be inclined to point the finger of suspicion elsewhere than on the Tx - the ESC in the Phoenix is I found very flaky. Mine had cut out twice so far. OK I still had control so the BEC was still functional - but no motor. Bring it down, reset it and all's well. Mmmm? You could be having BEC problems? Also while I have no used them it is fact that others have had some issues with some Orange Rx's - so it could be down to that.

Its difficult to say for sure.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 17/05/2014 23:33:58

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 17/05/2014 23:33:09:

Well SC, its clearly early days for Taranis. But I have to say I have experienced nothing but a rock solid connection - even at limits of sight almost! But I do exclusively use X8R receivers.

On what I have heard and experienced I would be inclined to point the finger of suspicion elsewhere than on the Tx - the ESC in the Phoenix is I found very flaky. Mine had cut out twice so far. OK I still had control so the BEC was still functional - but no motor. Bring it down, reset it and all's well. Mmmm? You could be having BEC problems? Also while I have no used them it is fact that others have had some issues with some Orange Rx's - so it could be down to that.

Its difficult to say for sure.

BEB

Points taken. I will change out the ESC and see what happens. In the mean time I have a little money coming my way and will start the change over to FrSky rx's in any case.

Regards

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 17/05/2014 23:33:58

Here's one for you all. I would like two switches to be used in deciding whether something happens.

I have a method of achieving this at the moment, but it does have a flaw. This is for a flap/airbrake setup I have on the go. I use Switch E to select between 3 flight modes - normal, airbake, and flaps. Then, I use Switch A to select between 3 magnitudes of aileron offset for when either flap or airbrake flight modes are selected. Switch A is functionless when Switch E is set to 'normal' flight mode (SE-), and there is 0 aileron offset, no airbrakes or flaps.

The problem with this set up is that whenever you trim the model, e.g. in the air, it only adds the trim to the flight mode selected. In my case, I added some up elevator trim for the 'normal' flight mode, and this all disappears whenever I select for the airbrakes in order to land. It's less than ideal.

I wonder if anyone can think of a way for me to retain the system I have, but without having to rely on flight mode changes in order to make it work?

First thoughts:

Set the aileron offset to GV1

Then program Custom Switches so that a different custom switch is set depending on the relatively positions of the SE and SA using the "AND" and "OR" functions.

Finally, program Custom Functions to set the GV value depending on which Custom Switch is set.

BEB

Look on the flight modes page, for modes other than 0 you have the option to select 'own trim' or to tie trim settings to another mode. This is for the 4 stick channels. I guess you would tie all your trims to mode 0 to keep the settings constant as you change modes. You can do the same with Gvars, ie tie the value to a particular mode.

The default setting for these seems to be 'own trim/value'.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 18/05/2014 22:59:12