FrSky Taranis - user chat

Bob Cotsford

Posted by JAMES S on 10/05/2014 20:08:52:

...I've swapped out one of my Spektrum Rx's I was using with the orange module in the taranis and put in a little Frsky D4R-II into the DLG. Five minutes on the taranis programming and I've now got a telemetry monitor for the Rx voltage which means I can now set up an alarm if the Rx battery voltage drops too low.

Good to have a voltage indication but dont worry about the D4RII and low voltages. It'll carry on happily when Spekky receivers have long given up. Your servos will stop before the Frsky rx does!

A lot of Frsky users use a single lipo cell in a DLG, perfectly ok. As well as my Elf I also use a single lipo cell in a few of my Frsky S/C models. The cell in my Elf is 350mAh and I've never managed to drain it in a full flying day with everyone having a go.

Cheers

Phil

Advert

Last weekend whilst out flying my Elf mini DLG and I managed to drain the Rx battery so much the servo's started cutting out mid-flight. Luckily no harm done and when I checked at home it seemed my Rx Lipo was not holding charge properly and fading rapidly when used.

So this weekend I've swapped out one of my Spektrum Rx's I was using with the orange module in the taranis and put in a little Frsky D4R-II into the DLG. Five minutes on the taranis programming and I've now got a telemetry monitor for the Rx voltage which means I can now set up an alarm if the Rx battery voltage drops too low.

Oh, and I threw out the dodgy lipo I was using to power the Rx as well. I'm getting to really like this radio now as I could never have managed a Rx voltage alarm in a Rx small enough to fit into a mini-DLG but have managed it with the D4R-II.

hmmmm.....I'm not so sure now what reading my Taranis is displaying for the lipo Rx battery....I suspect its not what I think it is. I'll have to spend a few hours tomorrow working out what it is actually displaying and what the A1 "range" value does as when I change this the reported voltage is changing.

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 10/05/2014 21:50:34:

Have a look at this James, it might help.

Hi Chris, very helpful! Having calibrated the voltage sensor I've now got the A1 reading showing Rx battery voltage. Also very nice to see it wasn't obvious ( ! ) how to do this. James

Posted by Phil Green on 10/05/2014 20:59:37:

...I've swapped out one of my Spektrum Rx's I was using with the orange module in the taranis and put in a little Frsky D4R-II into the DLG. Five minutes on the taranis programming and I've now got a telemetry monitor for the Rx voltage which means I can now set up an alarm if the Rx battery voltage drops too low.

Good to have a voltage indication but dont worry about the D4RII and low voltages. It'll carry on happily when Spekky receivers have long given up. Your servos will stop before the Frsky rx does!

A lot of Frsky users use a single lipo cell in a DLG, perfectly ok. As well as my Elf I also use a single lipo cell in a few of my Frsky S/C models. The cell in my Elf is 350mAh and I've never managed to drain it in a full flying day with everyone having a go.

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil,

thanks for the recommendation on the single cell, that is a good option to consider as for one thing it simplifies charging.

James

Posted by Cuban8 on 11/05/2014 12:12:17:

Sorry if this is a daft question but is the Taranis system ready to go out of the box or does it have to have the Open TX firmware installed and configured by the user?

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 11/05/2014 12:54:34

Cuban8,

yes its ready to go out the box.

James

Mine arrived today from HK. Two Rx`s D8R-XP and two voltage sensors marked FBVS01 on the packet. Do I have the right stuff? It would seem that I can only use 8 channels with these, which takes me to my next dumb question. I have not as yet turned this set on. Where do you plug the Rx battery into without using a Y lead in order to utilise the 8 channels?

That stuff is certainly compatible Martin - right sensor for that Rx. Did you specifically choose that Rx or was in bundled with the Tx?

I've not used the D series receivers - all my receivers are the X-series ones which are all 16 channel - although they have 8, 6 or 4 connections. The point being they have Sbus and so can deliver all 16 channels via that.

Anyone used the D series receivers?

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 12/05/2014 22:19:31:.

Anyone used the D series receivers?

BEB

Yep the D series receivers are compatible with the older "hub" style telemetry sensors.

They are not compatible with S.Port telemetry sensors and do not support S.Bus servos or decoders (So 8 channels max)

They have two analogue voltage ports. One usually has a link connected, so that it monitors Rx volts.
The third port is the "Digital data stream" port that you'd connect the telemetry Hub to. Some hub type sensors can be connected direct to this port (but only one can be connected) such as the FAS100 current/mAh sensor.

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 12/05/2014 21:53:22:

Mine arrived today from HK. Two Rx`s D8R-XP and two voltage sensors marked FBVS01 on the packet. Do I have the right stuff? It would seem that I can only use 8 channels with these, which takes me to my next dumb question. I have not as yet turned this set on. Where do you plug the Rx battery into without using a Y lead in order to utilise the 8 channels?

Martin, if you want to use all 8 channels then you would have to use a Y lead to supply battery power; there is no seperate power socket. That's no different to some of the Spektrum Rxs I was using previously. I rather like the D series Frsky Rxs, lightweight and easier/cheaper to get flight pack voltage telemetry than the X series, so if your needs are modest don't be in any rush to upgrade. Just watch the orientation of the sockets, they seem to be different on just about every model!

Edited By C Norton on 13/05/2014 14:29:47

Thanks for the replies. I was trying to avoid the hub system but since I shall eventually need several Rx`s these will be fine for now. At least they were very cheap. They were bought separately from the tranny and were available at the time from HK so no problems. I had no wish to wait for others to become available because I obviously want to get this in the air and play around with it.

Strangely (or not), there is no mention in the destruction sheet of downloading any s/w to set it up so anyone buying it without reading up first could have difficulty. About to power it up so fingers crossed.

Martin Mc.

Martin, there is no need to download anything to set it up, if you don't want to then you never need to go near the computer, it's just that good as it is, it still doesn't have a 20" screen and full size keyboard, so generally it is easier to set up on the computer, that said though it is no harder than any other to do it directly on the tx.

A.

I can't find this anywhere else on the thread but I am trying to download some voice warnings. I have followed one thread for Acapela but this does not work. Has anyone else downloaded anything.

All I wanted was something simple like 'landing' or 'flaps deployed'

Regards.

A bit of a change of Theme.

I am making a Transmitter tray for my Taranis before I start to use it...

I need to move the side sliders so that the levers on the knobs point upwards as I cant get at them with the tray in place.

Has anyone done this? I haven't investigated this closely yet but as far as I can see the options are.

1. Open the case and reverse the direction of the pots. I am not sure if that is possible - whether they are PCB mounted, the leads are long enough or there are other restrictions.

2. Will the knob come off and can it be replaced re-orientated by 180deg? I cant see how it is fastened - I suspect that there is a lock nut under the chrome cap.

3. Desperation, drill into the knob and add a new lever pointing upwards made from a bolt.

Any suggestions - or better - has anyone actually done this?

Regards

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 15/05/2014 09:09:36

Posted by Martyn K on 15/05/2014 09:07:37:

A bit of a change of Theme.

I am making a Transmitter tray for my Taranis before I start to use it...

I need to move the side sliders so that the levers on the knobs point upwards as I cant get at them with the tray in place.

Has anyone done this? I haven't investigated this closely yet but as far as I can see the options are.

1. Open the case and reverse the direction of the pots. I am not sure if that is possible - whether they are PCB mounted, the leads are long enough or there are other restrictions.

2. Will the knob come off and can it be replaced re-orientated by 180deg? I cant see how it is fastened - I suspect that there is a lock nut under the chrome cap.

3. Desperation, drill into the knob and add a new lever pointing upwards made from a bolt.

Any suggestions - or better - has anyone actually done this?

Regards

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 15/05/2014 09:09:36

Sorry, but just have to ask, If you are making the tray, why make it such that you have to Mod the Tx?? Seems a bad move!

Hi Dave

It does seem a bit dumb doesn't it..

The tray I am using will look like this..

20140502_175855.jpg

except with a Taranis in the middle.

If I copy this exactly, the side sliders will be under the hand rests. I have modified the rests so they are shorter - the sliders are now visible, but they are tucked behind the side arms and there is not much I can so about them

20140502_175910.jpg

Ideally, I need to move the slider arms so they point upwards or just not bother using them (I have to admit, I am not sure what I would use them for anyway - perhaps flaps..

Martyn

Hi Dave - yes that's correct...

I have had good look this lunchtime.

First the silver caps are just that - silver caps

Second the knobs will prise off quite easily. They are located on a D shaft with the end stop actually built into the knob. This means that you cant simply flip left and right knobs, the stops are OK but the D shaft location will be upside down

So, that means I have to turn the pots inside upside down. The good news is that there is enough space to do that. The pots locate on a plastic plate and held in by clips. Seemples, I thinks, unclip the rotate the pot housing by 180deg reassemble - jobs a good-un.

Ok in theory until you spot that pot is not symmetrical. It means that you will need to remove a sliver of plastic about 2mm wide x 0.5mm deep. This extends the existing recess that the pot sits in. Which is where I am up to. I have done one - it took about 10mins with a craft knife and patience

There is also a little locating pin that needs to be removed off the pot - 2 seconds with a file - its not essential to locating the pot.

I'll update later when complete. The good news is that the side slider knob now just sits proud of the transmitter and IMHO, it is easier to operate like that..

Martyn

Sliders have all sorts of uses - very handy.

Re inverting them. When I updated my sliders from the "A" version to the "B" version I found that you can't close the case with them updide down! (Ask me how I know this embarrassed).

They are not on the circuit board and indeed they are only attached by two connectors - so very easy to remove. But they are on a plastic mounting plate that slots into a rebate in the case and it will only go in one way and the case close. It might be possible to cut the lugs off the plastic plate to make it reversible?

BEB

Spent ages yesterday trying to find the `bind` screen then it dawned on me that you need to select the Rx type first. Now got four servos working in basic mode so can build on that OK. Next problem is that when I download Companion in Windows 8 it disappears when I close it down, not even having used it. Would I be better off using XP? I would rather use the more modern laptop.

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 15/05/2014 23:50:40:

Next problem is that when I download Companion in Windows 8 it disappears when I close it down, not even having used it. Would I be better off using XP? I would rather use the more modern laptop.

On my Win8.1 laptop I have Companion pinned to the Taskbar.

To find it click the Windows key, click the Search symbol (top right) > type "Companion" in the search box, right click the "Companion" icon when it appears & tick Pin to Taskbar or left click to open the program.

Hi all.

I managed to reverse the side sliders and the case closes ok (phew).

Basically as described above

1. Slide off the knobs

2. loosen the lock nuts supporting the2 top switches on the seam

3. Remove battery

4. Undo 6 case retaining screws

5. Split the Tx

6. remove the side sliders and plates (you cant reverse the plates because they are keyed up and down and are also handed)

7. Unclip side slider from the plate by un-clipping them and gently push the pot out 

8. File away the small ali locating lug (not used) on the pot adjacent to the shaft bush

9. extend the small recess in the side plate - the pot is not symmetrical - by about 2mm (the tricky bit) using a craft knife and sharp blade. I cut the outer limits of the revised slot then simply scraped the excess away until the pot would clip back in again correctly

10. reassemble with the pot now mounted upside down. The wires are just long enough..

The good thing is that it can be reversed quite easily if you want to put is back as per manufacturer

A couple of photos

dscn0292.jpg

Here is the slider now upside down - note how close it is to the transmitter tray wall. It doesn't actually touch..

And in the modified Banggood tray with handrests.

dscn0293.jpg

I can start thinking about actually using it now...

BW

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 16/05/2014 09:48:15