Mass Build general chat

Posted by Eddie Stocker - DB Sport and Scale on 15/10/2013 21:11:37:

Anyhow, surely gluing bits of wood together is better than getting into the legal depths of copyright law, is it not?

Eddie.

I couldn't agree more Eddie - let's get on with the real business!

When are folks thinking of starting? Personally I will start after Jan - I have far too much Tiffie on the building board at the moment. My plan is to finish the airframe on that, and push along with the installation so I'm ready for covering by end Dec. Then I'll take a little break from it and build the Dawn Flyer.

Do you know why I picked the Dawn Flyer? Was it because I like the model? Well yes in part. Because it looks like a nice build? True that was a factor. Linds is a clubmate so I'd like to support him? Well true that was an influance. But shall I share with do the real deep down reason?.......

I hate covering! I love balsa bashing but always fine covering tedious - and I'm not particularly imaginative with colour schemes and the like. The DF fuselage is varnished! So I only have to cover the wings and the tail!! Clincher!smile

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 15/10/2013 22:27:57

Advert

I tend to assemble the hardware in advance so when the build comes all is to hand.

Just finishing a current build and will then will assemble a Harmon Rocket ,so I would like to have some plans pinned to the board by mid December to take advantage of the Christmas break.

Gives me plenty of time to think of some tweaks.

Regards

John

I will start on the Tinker as soon as the plan arrives, but only to sort out the section for the foam wings I intend to use. Then when I get the wings the Tinker will wait until iv'e fitted out a Willow and finished a Smooth Operator as long as I do not get to many of the inevitable repairs that flying in 50mph+ winds creates I hope to get started in a month or so.

Posted by Bearair on 15/10/2013 23:22:24:

I will start on the Tinker as soon as the plan arrives, but only to sort out the section for the foam wings I intend to use. Then when I get the wings the Tinker will wait until iv'e fitted out a Willow and finished a Smooth Operator as long as I do not get to many of the inevitable repairs that flying in 50mph+ winds creates I hope to get started in a month or so.

Foam wings... that will be different smiley

I am just sketching out some ideas about fitting ailerons, I "think" I will reduce the dihedral to 1 degree and have ailerons just on the lower wings and a servo each side.... I am actually hoping that one of the expert builders comes up with the necessary modifications to the original design wink

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 15/10/2013 23:38:06

Hi all,

I've been keeping an eye on things with the 2014 mass build, not originally intending to take part, but seeing as one of the models on my to-do list is one of the final five... Well it would be rude not to

There is a minor spanner in the works however, I won't be able to use the little OS10 I bought last year, due to a change in flying sites, my Mini Jazz will have to be electric. I was wondering if anybody could recommend an electric setup for the model?

I'm beginning to 'get' electric, but I am some way off feeling confident enough to spec a setup to be equivalent to a OS 10.

r.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 15/10/2013 22:14:50:
Posted by Eddie Stocker - DB Sport and Scale on 15/10/2013 21:11:37:

Anyhow, surely gluing bits of wood together is better than getting into the legal depths of copyright law, is it not?

Eddie.

I couldn't agree more Eddie - let's get on with the real business!

When are folks thinking of starting? SNIP!

BEB

Started! You mean to say that you haven't yet, surprise I have a wing and fuz part built, should I slow down and wait for you to catch up? wink

No Grey Beard - but you should be thinking about a build blog! Remember, the point is for the more experienced builders to be showing a lead by recording their build to help the less experienced!

And of course we'd very much welcome build blogs from those less experienced builders too! The more the better!

BEB

There are several books - the most well known are probably:

"Radio Controlled Model Aircraft" and "Building and Flying Radio Controlled Model Aircraft" (both by David Boddington). Both available on Amazon

"Radio Control Scale Aircraft" by Gordon Whitehead - sadly out of print, but you should be able to pick up a second hand copy - though I believe that they are starting to change hands for silly money!

Take Off: All About Radio Controlled model Aircraft" by Alex Weiss

"RC Sports Aircraft from Scratch" by Alex Weiss. This and the previous book are again available at Amazon.

Any of these will cover the basics of building. TBH though your best guide will be the build blogs of the more experienced builders of the model you have chosen and of course the generally ability to ask questions on here as you go along!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 18/10/2013 12:55:59

Wow, I've only just caught up with this 2014 mass build thread. I must have some sort of six sense because as a returnee to the hobby, my last balsa bashing was about 40 years ago, I've been building a Tyro Major for about a year now.

Yes I know I've taken ages but I've started from scratch without a building board let alone tools an engine or radio gear. Also SWMO has a knack of diverting my attention to doing work around the house. However it's nearly finished, I just have to change the hinges on the tailplane and rudder because the ones I used are a but stiff causing the servos to buzz a bit. Power is an Enya ss 30.

I bought the plan and set of ribs from DB Sport and Scale who I have to say have been very helpful whenever I contacted them for help or advice.

Posted by Darlo0161 on 18/10/2013 11:11:15:

Can anyone recommend any books for the techniques for the build. I'm okay with the theory but as it's my first build I'd like to have a bit more reference material to fall back on.

Thanks all

hello darloo................the local library(if you still have one) is good for books also ... and may have the ones mentioned by young BEB.....

ken Anderson....ne...1 local library dept

Hi Colin,

it means that you intend to build one of the five selected models for this year's Mass Build. As WF says its not a contract - its a statement of intent!

The Mass Build "season" this year promises to be a rather long one! Basically running from now, and while there isn't any official end date, we traditional take the end of June is being a sort of "closure" in one sense.

BEB

O.K. I'm signed up.

Can anyone tell me what the finished weight of a Tyro Major ( 54 in wing span ) is likely to be? Neither the plan or the building instructions which came with it show this. Eddie Stocker suggested it should be around 2lbs ( 1kg max ), but I've seen similar sized trainers like the DB Mascot, for example ( only slightly bigger at 59" wing span ) with a suggested weight of 4.5 lbs

I've gone for the top end of the recommended power scale and fitted an Enya ss30

Edited By Colin Ashman on 19/10/2013 11:05:56