A place for Pushy Cat builders to hang out

GrahamC

Advert

Here's my way of retaining the canopy. I've put a dowel in the front and used 4 strong magnets on the rear.

I got a piece of balsa the same thickness as my magnets and drilled 2 holes through slightly bigger than the size of the magnets and then glued this to a piece of ply and I then glued the magnets in the 2 holes on to the ply and glued all this in to the fuz with some triangle as support yes

For the Canopy side I cut a big square roughly where i thought the magnets would need to be. I then put some cling film over canopy hole on fuz and put the magnets all together. I then filled the hole on the canopy with epoxy and quickly pressed it down in place on top of the magnets and left to dry over night. This is now a very strong tight seal yes

48.jpg

Also EVENTUALLY I've installed the motor mount smiley

49.jpg

I'd leave it as electric Martin. Otherwise I think you'd have balance problems with the glow engine and tank being heavier than an electric motor and no battery up front... Besides, one of the great things about the PushyCat is just popping a battery in and flying it.

Have a look back over the thread at what others have powered theirs with. Mine has a 2200kv motor with a 6x4 prop running on 3-cell 2200mAh LiPos. Most others (from memory) use the same battery, some use a lower-revving motor (1200kv or thereabouts) with a bigger prop. But do ask any questions!

a question for those with PushyCat form - has anyone tried leaving the wing as 1/4" sheet with just a radius on the leading edge? I can't help wondering whether putting a section on a 1/4" sheet wing actually achieves anything other than a big pile of shavings. My Polaris has a flat 5mm depron wing and apart from a strong dutch roll at silly slow speeds it handles just fine.

What do you think?

I bet it wouldn't make much difference and it would save an awful lot of wood shavings, someone has to be the first to do it! The only down-side Ican see Bob, if the aerodynamics are ok, is that there is a very noticeable difference in the weight of a wing panel after you have planed it, sanded it, disappeared under a large pile of shavings and half choked to death in the process.

Now the building board is clear I'm about ready to have a go at a PC, so I'm thinking I'll leave the wing flat plate as there are other advantages - the ailerons will be more rigid, no shaping the booms to fit an arbitrary wing section, less time to build and less mess. This will be a quickie build as I want to start the Jabberwock.

Sort of a direct opposite build to Erfolg's.

Martin, If you are doing away with F4 then make a former/motor mount the right size for your motor and then glue that at the back of your fuz that has been shortened the length of the motor yes

If you look up a few posts you'll see my picture of my motor installed on a different former but still with the original F4 so my motor is hidden from above which I think looks much smarter yes rather than having the motor on show.

baz 

Edited By brfc7 on 20/02/2014 21:16:02

I certainly moved the motor back, and left the motor on show.

Although I am not certain now, I think i just moved the former for the motor back. Having written that, I now think that I checked that the motor mount fitted onto the former.

Unlike brfc7, I have no aesthetic issues with the motor being on show,contrarily, I think it looks good. Also from a practical point of view, the motor receives excellent cooling and the motor wires are easier to arrange for correct motor rotation.

One more thought, i use wing mounted servos, not torque rods. If torque rods are used, there may be a minimum or practically convenient dimension at this point. If so, that could determine the minimum size for the motor mount former.

Posted by Erfolg on 20/02/2014 22:30:52:

Unlike brfc7, I have no aesthetic issues with the motor being on show,contrarily, I think it looks good. Also from a practical point of view, the motor receives excellent cooling and the motor wires are easier to arrange for correct motor rotation.

Never been an issue of overheating the motor on any of the 6 or 7 PC's other members of my club have built with enclosed motors yes

Also if you look at my last picture above I can't see how the wires could be any easier to change not being enclosed as their still going to be in the same place cool

baz