A place for Pushy Cat builders to hang out

GrahamC

I only modded mine because I couldn't get enough space around the motor to run wires, it was just a bit too close to the can. Not a problem if mounting at the back of the motor.

From memory, I just added another former the same distance back as the length of the motor and then cut off the end of the fuselage. I'd already built mine as per plan, but if I built another I'd just leave the motor out in the wind.

Still deciding whether to change up to 500 watts?

Edited By simon burch on 20/02/2014 22:51:51

Advert

brfc7 are we preparing to die in a ditch over this?

I have no issue with the motor being proudly on display.

I am reasonably confident that a motor in the breeze will be a little cooler. OK, it does not seem to be an issue.

As to the wires, that is an easy one to explain. The motor wires are not hidden away at the motor end and are simply withdrawn to switch the feeds, if necessary. Only matters when setting up. Does not matter at all with some ESCs, which can be switched by programming.

In essence, none of it matters, it is all personal preferences. Now where is that ditch and give me a gun, its time to take on the world.smiley

Posted by Erfolg on 20/02/2014 22:52:24:

brfc7 are we preparing to die in a ditch over this?

WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU ON ABOUT

I have no issue with the motor being proudly on display.

NEITHER DO I BUT IT DOES LOOK BETTER HIDDEN

I am reasonably confident that a motor in the breeze will be a little cooler. OK, it does not seem to be an issue.

I'D SAY I AM 100% CONFIDENT THE MOTOR WILL RUN COOLER IN THE BREEZE BUT ISN'T NEEDED

As to the wires, that is an easy one to explain. The motor wires are not hidden away at the motor end and are simply withdrawn to switch the feeds, if necessary. Only matters when setting up. Does not matter at all with some ESCs, which can be switched by programming.

THIS MAKES NO SENSE BOTH OUR WIRES ARE IN THE SAME PLACE

In essence, none of it matters, it is all personal preferences. Now where is that ditch and give me a gun, its time to take on the world.smiley

LETS NOT FORGET YOURS ISN'T REALLY A PUSHYCAT NOW IS IT SINCE IT HAS A BUILT UP WING

smiley

baz

On mine I brought the motor forward by 1 5/8" and shortened the nose by 3 1/4", an overall reduction of 4 7/8", around 120mm. I re-positioned the motor forward to compensate for any rearward cg shift caused by the shorter noise. Personally I prefer the appearance change this causes because it creates the "De Havilland Venom" sort of look I was after. I decided to stick with the enclosed motor, but visually I think it looks attractive either way, it's purely personal taste. I've given it plenty of ventilation, so I don't think over-heating will be an issue.

Mine weighs 26ozs. all up and I understand this is pretty much the same for most of them, shortened or not!

You're very kind John. I think they all look good, but different. The PC seems to have a lot in common with dogs, they can be made to look very different, but underneath they're all the same animal! I'm looking forward next to see what Bob Cotsford's is going to look like, particularly as he's decided to make a very simple flat wing with the leading and trailing edges rounded off, no profiling. I bet it will fly just as well.

Ha sorry Dave my last post isn't in capitals to shout it was so you could distinguish between my text and the original members text yes

To build an original PC off the plan it doesn't have a bottom cover over the motor, just a small piece right at the rear about 10mm wide so the hole is about 40-50mm for cooling smiley

baz

I don't think that cooling is a big issue, but have provided a path for air to flow over the ESC and motor, leaving a big gap in the balsa sheeting under the motor for the air to get out. I fitted an "air-scoop" intake behind the cockpit to feed this, but it's as much a styling exercise as anything particularly critical. I seriously considered leaving the motor open because it looks fine to me, but preferred the concealed approach for my attempt at a "semi-scale" interpretation. All I need to do now is to see if I can get around to seeing if it flies when I get home!

Brfc7, I believe we are all agreed that the PC is a brilliant design.

In my working life, it would have been described as elegant. This would have in most cases been based on the simplicity of the build process, the aesthetic aspects and finally its flying characteristics.

I would have added on additional feature, that is the ability to accept modifications to the concept, whilst retaining the other desirable characteristics.These range from simple motor changes, followed by changes to motor installation, twin aileron servos, modifications to envelope shape, wings which are thinner, built up wings.

You can compare favourably the flexibility of the PC with the BMC Mini, which has morphed into the BMW Mini, with Saloon bodies, Cross county Versions, Estate version, 2 seater version and now a larger envelope version coming out. Or perhaps the Beetle(Kaffer) which has seen various styling tweaks, differing engines to the new USA designed current model.

I can see that by your own, valid criteria (as valid as anyones) the enclosed motor is optimal. My own criteria is based on what I perceive as optimisation of installation, maintenance and operational aspects as well as aesthetics.

Although the picture below was not taken to illustrate the installation, and my current position of having no functioning digital camera, I hope that it can be used to illustrate the following points

• There is simple easy access to installing the mounting screws.
  • The motor wires, are just poked through, or withdrawn by a easily accessible hole in the bulkhead, with the wires located in a position not liable to damage.
  • The motor is unlikely to suffer from any cooling issues.
  • Examination of the motor and mount is very easy, not being obscured in any way.

The aesthetic is in my opinion very interesting, for a number of reasons. Some of which are based on individual backgrounds, therby being very personal. If I use my self as a less than settled opinion and considering why I am where I am, my personal journey. It may be possible to understand others views of beauty. As a child, I had a book, which had a picture of the LMS Coronation Scot, thundering along. This was a thing of beauty in my eyes, the shape, the colours, the speed stripes. My farther was dismissive, he was at the time feeding information on serviceability, fuel usage, draw bar weights and other basic data, from German, French and Belgium steam locomotives into the design process of the BR Standard Class programme. Impatiently he dismissed my love, and the A4s as time consuming to maintain, the streamline casings adding nothing to overall efficiency. The UK vision of beauty of inside cylinders, mudguards over wheels, buried and hidden pipework, lack of consideration of steam passages and so on as a disaster. When I started work, as a young designer, I came to see that there were three major aspects of a successful industrial design, the first is the ease of manufacture, functionality of the working item and ease of maintenance. I still love the Coronation Scot, although my idea of a good design is more likely be a F! car, pig ugly, but does its job, in all aspects. I know others admire B&O equipment and Apple products, where I see a fancy package, clothing ordinary products,. Although grudgingly I do admire the Apple intuitive interfacing.

So on that basis i acknowledge your right to hold your values dear, and we do both admire the PCsmiley

covered.jpg

Posted by simon burch on 20/02/2014 22:51:21:

I only modded mine because I couldn't get enough space around the motor to run wires, it was just a bit too close to the can. Not a problem if mounting at the back of the motor.

From memory, I just added another former the same distance back as the length of the motor and then cut off the end of the fuselage. I'd already built mine as per plan, but if I built another I'd just leave the motor out in the wind.

Still deciding whether to change up to 500 watts?

Edited By simon burch on 20/02/2014 22:51:51

Just looked here for CofG hints and the first thing I saw was this photo - guess what scheme mine is> I wasn't copying yours Simon, just using up what film was to hand!

erfolg-----hold the pc just behind the c of g and with the TX in your left hand open the throttle 3/4 and launch the model facing slightly upwards in to the wind.....it may try and veer to the left a bit so get ready to catch it with the ailerons ...... and if the breeze is 5mph + and you launch slightly off it-the model will go 'quickly' to the left and crash......in no wind conditions it will climb away with little correction on the sticks....and of course watch your hand on the prop...once you've done it a couple of times it's no bother(where did I hear that before) ... teeth 2 ...

ken Anderson....ne...1 .....no bother dept....

Edited By ken anderson. on 27/02/2014 16:44:07