The Dawn Flyer's Club House

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I shall have to lay aside the Dawn Flyer build with the tail feathers done and the extended fuselage. I'll keep in touch via this thread, Internet in strange places willing, and I may get to Greenacres in June. So very sad face at the moment. I have even got the 3 gram servos to move the pilots head and arms. Best wishes

JohnM

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had it in the air last Saturday - flies well. There is a tendency to roll into direction of the curves - so aileron should be used very carefully. Otherwise it flies fine, made a few loops and rolls and a stall turn - all went fine. Flies nicely even with throttle at a third. Just a picture before take off - there will be a few flying photos as well - have to remind John - who took them - to send them over.20141213_120214.jpg

Finally on the runway.

VA

• 2 weeks later...

And this is the Dawn Flyer when it is broken - (28.12. - loss of control...)broken1.jpg

Looks worse than it is...

broken 2.jpg

The broken prop destroyed my artwork Had to replace the wire mesh and the alu foil. I was lucky as the engine shaft is not bent - it was just pushed back.

After a few hours the Dawn Flyer is back to business

back to business.jpg

back to business2.jpg

Even after an abrasive paper treatment and repainting some damage is visible _ I had to fill in some balsa at this point. I put 2 thin 1 cm wide ply wood strips behind so there shouldn't be any problem with the strength of this "joint"

Ready to go - but probably I will change the receiver and make some detailed range check just to be sure it works before I have another go...

VA

• 3 months later...

Seems like a common weak point in the fuze. Would spruce or similar be an idea for the longerons. Perhaps with thin ply web inside angled back from bottom to top..Easy to do during repairs with a good glue. PVA probably best wingtip skids a good idea and a way to hand 'em up by All nice builds too.

A good way to cokour /stain/Balsawood is with watercolour paints. These can be mixed to give any desired shade and no weight penalty and any tissue covered surfaces can be coloured too. A imple spray ( mout h blown perfume bottle pump action from some household products or trigger type. Yer pays yer money etc. Re -laminations . There used to be a very flexible ply,actually called bendy ply which if it still available in our required thicknesses would make laminations a doddle.I last used it at 1/8th inch,and the achievable radius was amazing.. The advantage with using the watercokour is no dange of glue bot sticking or solvent in"spirit" gyes from softening glue. This can gappen over a period of time despite being apparently dry, Musg like the effect emulsiun paint has on electrical wiring ibsulatiob.

• 10 months later...