The Dawn Flyer's Club House

Advert

Hi,

The special razor blades are available from SLEC they are called safety razor blades and are sold in packs of 4 part number SL031B-S. Sorry to go on at you Plummet but I worked in Hospitals for 30 years and I like to keep people out of them!

I find that marking a line down the piece I am cutting helps me guide the saw straight.

Regards

JohnM

Posted by John Manning on 12/03/2014 10:20:16:

Help. well sort of. I've started the fuselage and F4 seems to be too tall and not wide enough. I have glued it at the bottom of the slope ans indicated on the plan. The notch in the top is above the cut out for the wing bearer plate.

Have I stuck it in the wrong place?

Is it the wrong size?

any comments would be most welcome, including a lnk to BEB's build blog!

Many thanks

JohnM

John

i had the cnc pack but chose to cut a new F4 from the plan to avoid the issues being mentioned with this former not being wide enough. I found that when positioned it was indeed to tall and would fowl the wing mounting. I corrected this after the wing seats were glued into position so I could see just how much I needed to remove. It wasn't much as it turned out so I sanded it flat. Hope this helps

Posted by Plummet on 16/03/2014 18:36:03:

Ta all! But any hints on how to measure or transfer the angles and distances from inside the complicated holes into which our bits of balsa have to poke without leaving gaps.

Plummet

You need a pair

of these Plummet - inside calipers very handy for transferring dimensions, much more reliable than measuring - well for me anyway!,...

df36.jpg

Ta BEB. I have and use them.

Its when things do not meet at nice neat right angles that I struggle.

With the DF fuselage. The bottom longeron is set flat to the board.

The upper longerons are in the same orientation.

There are true vertical pieces between the bottom longeron and the upper cross pieces. Their joints are easy - all right angles.

The verticals side pieces are not vertical, because the fuselage is triangular, not rectangular. measuring the angles for their ends is tricky but possible.

Then the diagonal side pieces have to contact as many faces as possible. They are oriented as in the face of the sloping side. I am hoping that someone has a clever trick for measuring the requires angles in places like that. Trial and error I am guessing.  This is where I was using the razor blades.  I was using them to try to sight the correct angles, to push the blade into the wood, to withdraw the wood, and to press on the blade to complete the cut.  It worked "fairly" well

Plummet

Edited By Plummet on 16/03/2014 21:23:51

Plummet your way is probably the most accurate of the quickest ways and the same way I usually "guess" angles at work and whilst building.

What we're working with here is called a compound angle i.e cutting 2 angles at once, and can be measured with a sliding bevel. The first angle would be marked onto the longerons and then copied with the sliding bevel & transferred onto the cut piece, the second angle is then marked, copied and transferred onto the perpendicular face of the cut.

This is all well & good for something like a 6" x 6" newel post for stairs but almost useless for a 6mm x 6mm balsa strut!

Odd.

In Lindsay's magazine article he talks about sheeting the top of the fuselage using 3mm sheet. The wood supplied includes lots of 1.5mm sheet. I see that BEB used 1.5mm sheet. I have not found a thickness on the plans ( but that does not mean it isn't there.

I know that BEB had to skin his with some thinner sheet for cosmetic reasons.

Is it 1.5mm or 3mm (or perhaps two laminations of 1.5mm)?

Plummet

BEBs build blog says he used 1mm (0.040 inch ?) brass which I would think is more than adequate.

Incidently Great Planes make the same plates but in steel, may even be nickle coated brass as they seem quite soft! I used these on my DF and a Puppeteer I built last year as they seem much better than plastic ones.

• 2 weeks later...