Supermarine Spiteful and Seafang

Advert

Good evening

Great that you begin to string flight .......

Spiteful made my 70 "(1778 mm) so I cheated about 1" width salmon for more lift, wing surface 28 "
I am pleased to provide this season to fly validated this model and if possible do some motification the plan may not be necessary if only to lighten the weight, remember that this is Spiteful 265.6129oz

greeting Bertrand

PS: google translation

Edited By pub147 on 15/03/2016 19:49:11

Google translations aren't always very good at explaining what the text really meant! The original came through on my email in French, twice in slightly different wording, Bertrand must have had two goes at it.

I think he is saying that he cheated a little on the design by increasing the wing chord by about 1", to increase the wing area. Clearly he has built this model to 1/6 scale, because it is 70" wing span and it looks very accurate, except that now he has explained this small change to the wing.it looks as if he is saying that it weighs 265 ozs, nearly 17lbs, it's a fairly large model, but that sounds a bit heavy if it is correct. With the increased wing area, the wing loading must be around 40oz per square foot, although that is probably OK at that size?

He will test fly the model further this season to see if he needs to alter the plan, if only to reduce the weight. Other forumites might be better French speakers than me, but I think this is about right.

• 4 weeks later...

image.jpegimage.jpegThrough incompetence I flew the Seafang into the hard runway at Fradley and did some serious damage. As a result I have rebuilt the front end and been able to correct the internal codges made when I converted the motor mount from front to rear. It has also enabled me to alter the hatch to give full access to the front end. Looking a bit sorry for itself but nearly ready for recovering in the repaired areas and painting. I am just finishing the engine cowling blisters that contain the camshaft covers and it will be ready for finishing. This is what has diverted me from the Chipmunk build for the last few days, but nearly there. At least this method of construction is quick to repair as well as to build. although the motor wasn't damaged, I've never been happy with it, so took the opportunity to swap it for a Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 35361200kv from HK. A very smooth running motor, looks promising.image.jpeg

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 08/04/2016 09:00:36

image.jpegThe front end is improved with a hatch that goes all of the way from the windscreen to the nose and means that motors can now be easily changed if necessary without having to cut anything. Also the battery access is improved and whereas I have been using 3S 3200 Lipos and needed 55gms of nose weight to get the c of g right, a 3700 now goes in easily and as it weighs 35 gms more, reduces the need for any ballast up front. A 4S would fit but performance is more than good enough as it is! Nearly ready for finishing.image.jpeg

Hi Simon. Having drawn up a detailed plan made it easier to cut new bits rather than stick broken stuff back together. It didn't take long and the intention is for this exercise to finalise the design detail. I'm keen to make another and finish it as a Spiteful, wish I'd got more time. I'm stuck in Heathrow T3 waiting for a flight to Luxembourg for a meeting in the morning. Won't get home until the early hours of Friday morrning, hoping then I can get close to finishing this off. This retirement thing still isn't working.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 13/04/2016 16:27:06

Sadly chaps it was pilot error. (It always is with me)! Bringing it past in a low curving pass from right to left at what was meant to be eye-level, I flew it straight into the hard runway at Fradley. It did a lot of front end damage, as you might expect.

Not too difficult to fix though, I've got detailed plans drawn up and I just cut new bits rather than glue the busted bits together. I grafted a new front end on just in front of the cockpit and it's worked out well. It at least gave me the chance to correct the internal codges that resulted from converting the original front engine mount to rear and improve the access by fitting a full length nose hatch, from windscreen to F1. Looks much neater as well.

Nearly there now, as you can see. I'll be more careful next time, having said that I'll certainly keep my eyes peeled for that Ta152.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 17/04/2016 00:06:30

Thanks Terry. I'll be more careful next time! It is still because I don't get to the field enough and I need more practice. To sharpen up my rusty reactions I've dusted off my Funjet and also I'll get the Durafly Spitfire 24 out and get in some practice with those. This plane deserves better than me and I want it to survive. At some point I will do another and finish it as a Spiteful.

It's great Colin but when are you submitting your plan to RCM&E? It would be very popular I'm sure and a pleasant change from yet another Spitfire or Mustang (nice as they are!) Also very interesting if you wrote about the history of the full sized in a separate article in the magazine with supporting photos.

Hi Piers. I don't suppose I'm breaking any rules if I say that David Ashby has a copy of the plan and a plug that I made for the canopy. Also I've written a feature on the story behind the Spiteful and Seafang. He needs some good quality aerial photos to make a final decision and I was working with Danny Fenton on that when I flew it into the runway! Sadly the photos Danny had got up to then weren't good enough, so it still needs to be done and is the reason that I've moved quickly to get it fixed and incorporate some detail improvements to go onto the plan.

Fingers crossed.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 20/04/2016 09:43:28