Supermarine Spiteful and Seafang

• 4 months later...
Advert

Hi Colin, hello gents,

I had been following Bertrand's build since a while now.

He first made a Spiteful at 1:7,5 scale to get confident with CAD drawing and then made this NN667 at 1:6 with a wingspan of 1778mm, also CAD and CNC/laser cut. Really superb bird but he wrote it was a bit 'heavy' with around 2,5kg of 'electronics' in it...

spiteful_nn667_900.jpg

This is a pic of his last flight before he stalled it, being too slow turning into base-leg at about 20m altitude...

spiteful_nn667_sad_end_900.jpg

Very sad outcome as he won't be trying to repair it but is considering building a new one later on as he seems to be working at a 'Polikarpov' project now...

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Sadness Control

Posted by McG 6969 on 20/09/2016 09:01:42:

He first made a Spiteful at 1:7,5 scale to get confident with CAD drawing and then made this NN667 at 1:6 with a wingspan of 1778mm, also CAD and CNC/laser cut. Really superb bird but he wrote it was a bit 'heavy' with around 2,5kg of 'electronics' in it...

Very sad outcome as he won't be trying to repair it but is considering building a new one later on as he seems to be working at a 'Polikarpov' project now...

His thread has some pictures of lighter components since the crash...

The images of his plans for the Spiteful and the P1030 look very good to me. I hope the CAD files are stored safely, so that they cannot be lost.

Hello...

I am sad to scrap the Spiteful .... but it's gone postponed is the same in 70 or 84 inch

I moment there are working on the Polikarpov I-153 79 inch I start construction this winter

Plans for construction of the Hawker P1030, NN667 Spiteful and other models are stored in Dropbox

Greeting Bertrand

Colin

I will certainly make one when the plan is published.

I may need wheels, as at my new club there is a shortage of people to launch a model.

Your plan will be very welcome by me as i much prefer the late model Spitfires and have been intrigued by the aircraft after coming across it some years back in "Aircraft of the Fighting Powers".

Another very good reason is that the RCM&E is now covering far to much exotic stuff, and a return to the core of the hobby will be welcomed, by me. Although that is a personal view, rather at odds with my present club where 50% of the models cost several thousand pounds (which means approx £5,000), with either jet engines or +50cc petrol engines. Although that does leave a more modest 50% with sub £200 pound (complete) models

Posted by pub147 on 21/09/2016 18:00:46:

hello to all
Yes ..... included 43 inch Type 391 can also be a 87inch and it'll be great in turboprop
and the Pilatus P3 98inch

Edited By pub147 on 21/09/2016 18:03:08

Hello Bertrand,

I think that many would like to see your plans, and maybe also build - but what do you want to do with them?

Some are selling their plans, and some are giving them for free.

I don't know what is a good way to sell plans.

If you want to give them for free, you could post links to your dropbox files or folders - or send the files to a site that lets people download free plans. On some forums, designers have been sending plans by email but that can be a lot of work if many want the plan.

-Pertti

Hi Erfolg, I need to get my finger out and try to get the in-flight photos sorted out, I'll ask Danny again!

The only problem with wheels on this one will be that they'd have to be fixed, there's no way to fit retracts into the sheet balsa wing. I did start to draw up an alternative built-up wing (with wash-out) to take retracts. Obviously at this size there's a need to watch the weight though. We're off to Spain on Monday for two weeks, I'll take the drawing with me and see if I can finish it off over there.

I have found that models (that I have) with the retractable gear that HK generally sell, have RTU that weigh a little on the heavy side. For my modest abilities, the models can be a handful, when the Lipo gets low.

I was thinking more about a fixed UC.

I have still not really tried out my take off trolley, just the once, although the model took of, it was not as convincing as i want. Perhaps i will make the time to try again. When working i will not need a UC. The new club has a much smoother field, although, for some reason it is harder to get a short wheelbase tail dragger to take of, always wanting to tip on the nose, or leap into the air. My latest theory is that the ground is much softer, with denser grass, although cut to the same length as the old club. The old club once being a rubbish tip, has a very thin layer of soil.

I do tend to prefer smaller models, circa 36-55" wing span, so the Spitful should fit the bill.

Of course I now await your MB5.

A fixed u/c would be very easy to do. The take-off trolley/dolly works well enough on our hard runways, I can see it might be a problem on grass though.

I've seriously thought about the MB5, its' lines are very simple and it is an obvious candidate for a contra-prop. A scale spinner would be an issue, although that's one of the reasons I'm Interested in 3 D printing!

This is my Seafang now. The magnetically attached hatch now stretches from windscreen to spinner, so there is full access to everything including the motor. I put it alongside the Durafly Spitfire 24, which is to the same 1/10 scale. The tails are identical and most of the fuselage and engine cowl detail is the same. I thought it would be interesting to put them side by side.image.jpeg

Hi pt. It's the camera angle, fuselage and tail dimensions are the same, the Spitfire wing-span is actually slightly greater at 44", the Seafang is 42", based on the full size 35' at 1/10 scale.

The Spiteful and Seafang were still very much Spitfire. The fuselage is basically the earlier Spitfire "high-back" with the bubble canopy set at the original cockpit roof level, to improve forward view. The upper cowling panels were re-shaped to fair down from the higher windscreen to the spinner. On the Spitfire of course they had simply cut down the rear fuselage to fit the rear-vision hood. The larger tailplane and fin/rudder developed for the Spiteful as part of solving the handling problems was then fitted to the Spitfire 22 and 24, also Seafire FR46 and 47. That solved the pitch and c of g sensitivity problems of the Griffon Spitfires and meant that they could safely use the fuel tank behind the cockpit to extend the range.

• 1 year later...

Hello

Here is back after 2 years, I finished building the Polikarpov I-153 scale 1/5
construction plan personal photo seal

and currently I decided to redo the plan Spiteful scale 1/5
span 2134 mm construction will be in winter 2018

Greeting

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Bertrand! Nice to hear from you, the I153 looks wonderful, congratulations. Very good to hear that you will go ahead with the 1/5 Spiteful. That will be exciting. I have still not flown mine since I repaired it, I had limited time last year and also was trying out some indoor flying. This year I have begun to visit the flying field more often and improve my flying, when I am confident I will fly the Seafang again and go back to the attempt to get some good quality flying photos. I would love to build a larger version, so will be very interested to see your new project.

• 5 years later...