how many hours?

Ernie

Advert

Some excellent responses so far!

I'm lucky in having an extremely supportive partner, who actively shares in this ridiculous hobby.

My main constraint is the fact that I work a 39 hour week (+ overtime on accasions), so I only have the evenings spare - say, between 7 and 9 pm (before the dog takes me for a pint.....).

Mind you, as my own span of attention is pretty short, it suits me well. Even a day off, I couldn't cope with a whole day in the workshop - it would become a chore after a couple of hours.

tim smile

Having worked since I left school at 16 & a large portion of that time was spent working 6-7 days a week, 2 years ago I decided to go into semi retirement and work 3 days a week now, so my shed time has increased. I pretty much spend any length of time in there now, when ever I want, as I said in an earlier post every evening when the soap's are on. As long as I do the regular duties not much gets said about shed time..........

As many hours as I like, I am recently retired so am now getting back to putting the hours into the Hobby that I have enjoyed for more than 30 years, even more so now I have the time to devote to it.

I do have female company but that is my dog, owned since birth on 19th April 1998 (I owned her Mum too). She is happy now, she has full time company without me disappearing off to work anymore, she gets her regular walkies now and regular feeding times and comes out with me when I go flying. She's not interested in chasing the models but more going off and sniffing around doing her own thing.

When I'm in my workshop, she is quite happy in there with me, usually asleep on the floor.

Best of both worlds I think lol.

Mark

Im lucky in some respect, being a line marker we cant work when it rains. That is pefect build time. Especially during winter. I have painted NZCH runway 29 aswell as 02. My point is that i supose a truely dedicated moddler will be like me and devote as much time as we possibly can. Real life takes precedence, as well know......

My two cents worth lol )

Cheers

ZK BAP

Posted by Ernie on 27/10/2013 09:23:39:

Hi guys, I'm in the doghouse!!

SWIMBO reckons I'm always in that ............shed (add your own expletive) and I need some ammo, Ok , honest now, how many hours a week do you spend on our hobby?

ernie

Point out that you could be down the pub or have a girl friend and that at least she knows where you are.

If that doesn't work...go down the pub!

Well if I sit in the reclining chair whilst she watches Coronation Street or Strictly Come Dancing then I receive no criticism. Set one foot in the garage to do some aeromodelling then she will quip 'Off to play with your aeroplanes again'?

Of course she and other women can have collections of soft toys,the sort of toys most males give up at the age of about two!

Sometimes I get questions right on University Challenge,but can someone translate SWIMBO to put me out of my misery-well some of it!

MJE

For me it varies - but I suppose about 15 hours or so is what I'd like to achieve. Some weeks I do a little more - the last two weeks a lot less. But my problem isn't SWMBO (I think I have sorted that - I'll explain later) its the "day job" running over into being the night job and weekends job which is the problem at the moment!

OK - how to live in happy coexistance with a non-modelling other half: Two things, one has been mentioned before - point out that you spend most of your leisure time either alone at the bottom of the garden (out of her way) or with predominately late middle aged men in the fresh air. It could be a hell of a lot worse!

The second strategy I must admit I discovered by accident - but its wonderfully effective. When I moved my modelling activities out from the spare bedroom where I was, to the garage, getting on for two years ago now; Mrs BEB asked if she could then use the spare bedroom for something she wanted. I not only said "yes of course dear" I also redocorated it all and made it nice and cosy - which she has added to of course with pictures she likes and various plants that I don't know the names of. She uses this space for her interests - basically sowing, photography, family trees and jigsaws! So nights when she gets carried away she's up there until gone 10:00pm! Do I complain? Noooooo! Of course not. "That's no problem dear. Were you enjoying yourself dear?" etc.

Makes it awfully hard for her to complain when I go to garage though! wink 2

BEB