RCM&E / Greenacres June 2014 fly-in - chat thread

Advert

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 13/06/2014 19:15:36:
If you pass I will offer to be your ground crew!

I have been getting lots of flying in over the last few weeks but not quite ready to have a go at the test in time for next week

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 13/06/2014 19:16:07

James not having seen you fly I can't really judge but given my standard I suspect you're prob closer than you think one piece of advice I have picked up over the last few weeks is read, and read again CAP 658 it really is all in there pretty much word for word from the BMFA hand book and for me much easier to read and sort out whats relevant and whats not also as my instructor said wednesday evening the examiners not there to fail you just to see if your safe to fly solo

Posted by Ady Hayward on 13/06/2014 19:24:36:

Good luck Phil. I'm sure you'll do it with your enthusiasm. Sadly I can't make it to meet peoples. Still in hospital following another knee replacement so blue skies and light winds to All.

Adrian

Edited By Ady Hayward on 13/06/2014 19:25:34

At least your not likey to be back for a 3rd Adrian good luck with the op and a speedy recovery

Posted by Phil Winks on 13/06/2014 19:27:07:
Posted by WolstonFlyer on 13/06/2014 19:15:36:
If you pass I will offer to be your ground crew!

I have been getting lots of flying in over the last few weeks but not quite ready to have a go at the test in time for next week

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 13/06/2014 19:16:07

James not having seen you fly I can't really judge but given my standard I suspect you're prob closer than you think one piece of advice I have picked up over the last few weeks is read, and read again CAP 658 it really is all in there pretty much word for word from the BMFA hand book and for me much easier to read and sort out whats relevant and whats not also as my instructor said wednesday evening the examiners not there to fail you just to see if your safe to fly solo

Forgive my ignorance but what is CAP 658?

Phil,

Good luck with your A test! As with all of these things preparation is key, there are some useful practice questions here http://www.bmfamid.co.uk/onlinetest.html.

one other piece of advice I would offer is to get down early and practice in the conditions of the day. This will help to get the feel of compensating for wind on the figure of eights and to judge the dead stick landings.

Hope all goes well

dave

Wolstonflier / Phil, try and relax and don't think of it as an exam or test. Easy for me to say!!

It is to show that you are a safe flier. So dont worry. I found that it was useful to explain to the examiner to tell him what I was doing and why that relates to safety.

Hope that helps.

Edited By cymaz on 13/06/2014 20:27:45

Woolston - re your A cert - I would advise that you have a go. What have you got to lose? If you pass - which you stand every chance of doing - you're clear to fly. And even if you don't quite make it, well the experience will stand you in good stead for next time. And hey, it's not exactly a crucial job interview is it - it's not going to wreck your life if you don't make it!

Think of it as a demo - you're not being tested as such, you're just being asked to demo that you are safe - that's all. Also, remember there is absolutely nothing in the rules that says you can't ask the examiner for a "mock" or practice test first!

If the opportunity comes up this weekend I'd say "go for it"! It would be great to fly with you at Greenacres!

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 13/06/2014 20:25:30:

Woolston - re your A cert - I would advise that you have a go. What have you got to lose? If you pass - which you stand every chance of doing - you're clear to fly. And even if you don't quite make it, well the experience will stand you in good stead for next time. And hey, it's not exactly a crucial job interview is it - it's not going to wreck your life if you don't make it!

Think of it as a demo - you're not being tested as such, you're just being asked to demo that you are safe - that's all. Also, remember there is absolutely nothing in the rules that says you can't ask the examiner for a "mock" or practice test first!

If the opportunity comes up this weekend I'd say "go for it"! It would be great to fly with you at Greenacres!

BEB

Hear hear go for it if you have the opportunity James

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 13/06/2014 21:49:50:
Thanks BEB and Phil, I will see what happens and if I get a chance to have a go on Sunday when our club examiners will usually be at the field.

Don't Panic, take your time, all will be well....we have faith in youangel

For those who went last year, apart from wet weather gear what else did you wish you had taken with you but didn't? Not having camped for about 30 years, I've got out of the swing a bit. I'll have my Leatherman knife (if that's aloud!) and some bog roll so can't think of anything else apart from planes and RC gear!

PS Go for it WF!

Edited By Masher on 14/06/2014 08:02:19