Grumpy Tigercub

Posted by Stephen Lynch on 06/08/2014 19:10:47:

Have built the Tigercub with 2x 200watt 1100kv motors, cut a foam wing and covered it with white card. It flies a treat but had to put 140 g of lead in the nose block. Also used 9g servos, no problems so far, had about 10 flights.

Foam wings and card covering will add to the need for more nose weight.

Peter

I had a pair of OS FS 20s but could now do 26s or possibly a pair of Saito 30s. Which do you think would be the best match. Working up to the top of the build list and the one I am looking forward to most alongside Oodalally. Interesting that I can spell Oodallaly differently even time and it still looks OK.

L3

That's looking fab. Trying to finish the blocking and shaping around the cowls on mine. Made more difficult by going with 4 strokes as the throttle linkage is not straight forward. Got one roughed out, think I'm going to glue it to the wing to finish off the upper part which is supposed to blend in with the top of the wing.

Simon

Jim.

Once you have flown her you will not worry any more. She does inspire confidence. You will be siure that she wil not bite when on one engine but there is that incredible sound of two engines in sync at speed. Always curls my toes!!

Levanter 3

I would say that OS 26 FS would be fine. Without going and measuring things I am not sure if you can get 9" props on. You wil have a better idea.

The one on the drawing board is about the same size and will be powered with a couple of SC 12 engines.

The name has been finalised as Grumpy Skylark.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Thought that you might like to see my electric Grumpy Tigercub that completed it's maiden flight a few days ago. It is powered by 2 x 350W motors from a compact 3s cell inserted througha lower hatch right behind the nose block with a small foam buffer in between. The prescribed c of g is acheived without the addition of any further weight.

Mick, my test pilot said that only 2 clicks of elevator trim were required before it would fly hands-free on half throttle.

I have only had one flight and can't wait to get back from holiday for another go!

A brief maiden video can be found on utube by searching for "grumpy tiger cub"

imag0710.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting there slowly. Lost interest after making a mistake on one of the cowlings, did consider scrapping it but put it to one side. After a bit of surgery everything is pointing in the right direction and I'm onto to mainly covering now, which is one of my favourite parts.

Simon

• 9 months later...