Grumpy Tigercub

Yesterday my twin had its first outing. It is a dream. 53" span using the Oodalally wing, it is powered by two SC .15s.

With this power it climbs like a homesick angel and does everything in the book. Loops, rolls, spins, inverted, outside loops four point rolls and so on.

Stuart Pickett who flies my models for the camera loved it. We both found that we felt completely confident in a few moments of take off..

A long shallow dive, screaming low pass and pull up into a series of very fast rolls really curls your toes

Single engine flying just needs a touch of trim held in and it even can be turned into the dead engine with care. This was found because the other way would have been right through the sun.

Could it be electrified? Well, there isn't much room but I did need lead in the nose and you would need more with electric motors so you could lengthen the nose and modify that.

tiger cub_10.jpg

tiger cub_11.jpg

tiger cub_4.jpg

tigercub_104.jpg

tigercub_122.jpg

tigercub_63.jpg

And the name? well, obviously the model was very loosely inspired by the Grumman TIgercat

Edited By Peter Miller on 02/12/2013 09:05:35

Well. What a happy announcement. I was thinking about starting my Oodalally as the next project after the 2014 mass build (Mini Jazz) so I will now make two sets of wings. Thinking about it, why not three then I have spares for both.
I have a pair of OS 20FS engines and wonder if this combination would work. Maybe it would bring that CG a tad further forward albeit with perhaps a slight overall weight penalty. Mr Ashby please note, you have at least one fan here and yes, I will be renewing my subscription.

Yes, it should fly on the FS 20s but rather slower.

The only difference between the wings is that the ribs have to be spread slightly at the location for the nacelles and a couple of tubes installed for the leads from the servos.

If you asked SLEC nicely they would probably cut an extra set of ribs for a reasonable price for the extra wing.

We can always rely on Peter to produce another popular design. In fact I have a couple of OS 15 FSRs lurking in my shed but if I were to build a Tiger Cub when the plan comes out it will probably be Leccy. In fact I would speculate that the majority built will be of the latter category nowadays? What do you think?

Posted by Andrew767 on 03/12/2013 21:38:13:
Posted by Tim Hooper on 03/12/2013 21:35:04:

So, who's up for leccy power, combined with retracts in the nacelles?

tim

Me Tim.....Let me know when you've finished the drawings!!cheeky

Andrew

teeth 2 Not my design! Ask Mr Miller......

Should'n't be too heard though. With the cell packs in the nose, there would be plenty of rrom adft of the motors to fit rear-folding electric units.

Be sure to post some pics, eh?

tim

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a couple of OS Max 20's that have been sitting in the draw for a long time waiting for a model such as this. Do I need to scale it up to account for two 20's instead two 15's, and if so by how much, or would it handle the power ok?

I was thinking that as it should have 25% more power, it may need the wing span increasing to 60". This would increase the wing area by about 25%. Does this seem about right?

Paul

Which OS 20s are they? If they are 20 FPs I wouldn't worry, the SC .15s are probably nearly as powerful as the old 20 FPs

If you really wanted to you could add one rib bay to the wing span  each side.

Remember that if you want to double the speed you need four times the power so the slight increase (if any) for the .20s would not make a noticeable difference.

Edited By Peter Miller on 07/05/2014 08:08:04