Barnstormer 72 build by Andy Green

Andy Green

This is my build of the Barnstormer 72, I'll have more pics and details on my website.

I bought the plan, rib pack, pre formed cabanes and the sticky back templates.

Making a start on the ply formers. These were all made from 1/4 as it was all I had. This is the joy of building from plans, treat them more as a guide and use what you have available (within reason).

I only have 2 size of hole saw, and the biggest was still too small to suit the plan, but building from scratch mean you have to made changes along the way, I cut 2 holes of the diameter I had and joined them to form an elongated hole.

Andy

Advert

As I did with my Super 60, I'm going to have a servo under the tailplane to drive the elevator, so planning ahead now I made the rear solid, with the side with the servo having a ply doubler.

Building the fuselage sides, is a case of pinning over the plan, there are a few ways to make the 2 sides the same, my prefered way that works well is to build the second side over the first one (with a plastic separator so you don't glue them together).

As the front part is all right angles there was no need to get the jig out, just pay attention to making sure all is square when gluing.

Andy

Rear section pulled together, don't try and get the fuselage sides joined in one step without a jig, rather do a bit, get it right and move on.

I have fitted the rear cabane mount, but I won't fix the front one until the wings are ready, I can then adjust it's position to get the wing incidence right.

There is no incidence shown on the plan (I guess the model dates from a time when thing like that weren't important). I shall fit the front cabane mount to give +0.3 degrees.

Fin built over the plan, only took 5 mins and its another job done. I have added 1/4 square anti warp piece to the rudder LE.

Andy

Edited By Andy Green on 02/01/2014 17:33:12

• 1 month later...

Right, back from holidays (surprise trip to Iceland for my 50th) and cleared some jobs, so I've been able to crack on with the build. Higher res photos on my website.

Start of the wing build. I'll be fitting ailerons, but not sure how or where yet. I'll build the wings and then decide. It will be a matter of cutting the ribs out and facing off the area. More on that when I get to it.

Ribs and spars, held flat to dry.

Webbing and leading edge. I normally fit the LE after sheeting the front section but it seems a bit flimsy. Just means careful measuring of the sheeting.

Added some end ribs where the cuts will be for the ailerons.

Andy

Thanks guys, Hope to get them joined later. I know to make it easier I should complete both panels and then join, but there is some method in my madness.

With a completed wing I can easily find the middle, and position the cabanes accordingly, and it does look like I've done more that I actually have

A

• 2 weeks later...

I've been quiet for a couple of weeks, but that doesn't mean I've been idle. Lots done. As usual there are a lot more hi res photos on my website.

Wing joining

3mm joiner slot cut then...

the wings were set up with 3" dihedral and the joiner angle transferred.

Lots of clamps and weights used to hold things true while the glues dries. I used white glue throughout.

Andy

Wing Servos:

As it has proved successful on my Astro Hog and Super 60 builds I have gone with the servos permenantly fixed into the wings. Half rib lite-ply doublers support the servo with off cuts of spruce to take the screws.

Using an off cut of sharpened brass tube I made holes to take the servo wires.

Andy (said I'd been busy)

Somewhat controversially I don’t intent to use wires to get the power and signals up to the aileron servos. The rear cabane will carry the power.

I have soldered the wires to the captive nut. Here you can see the additional support and some Gorilla glue to strengthen this area.

The power leads are joined up in the font and you can see the signal wires waiting for the front fixings to be installed.

To make this work I'll have to split the aluminium cabanes - this will be one of the last jobs to be done.

Andy

Here is where I’m having some difficulty. I like to know what my incidence angles are, and with no info on the plan decided arbitrarily that 0.3 degrees +ve would be OK.

I have the fuselage set to 0, and you can see that currently the wing is at +2.3. This does seem a lot.

This image shows my attempt to lower the front of the wing, but this has only lowered it to 2 degrees, it just seems wrong to have to cut so much away.

Going back to the plan and doing some measurements and trigonometry, the incidence is about +3.

How have other builders gotten on?

Andy (up to date)