Barnstormer 72 build by Andy Green

Andy Green

Advert

Well I wondered if that's why you were looking into the incidence.
I would expect the bolts to compress the balsa and maybe not the same front and rear therefore changing the incidence or maybe changing it from flight to flight.

Danny's photo shows how he neatly cut around the alloy and removed the balsa.

I try to keep things simple on these models Andy, I try and build them as accurately to the plan as I can, ie as the designer intended, leave the designer to worry about incidences etc and, I send it aloft crook Your way is far more scientific embarrassed But they usually fly okay thumbs up

I am looking forward to flying in the circuit with the Barnstormers at Greenacres should be very memorable, and a great tribute to Boddo thumbs up

Cheers

Danny

Posted by kc on 27/02/2014 17:37:05:
Well I wondered if that's why you were looking into the incidence.
I would expect the bolts to compress the balsa and maybe not the same front and rear therefore changing the incidence or maybe changing it from flight to flight.

Danny's photo shows how he neatly cut around the alloy and removed the balsa.

Hi

I have done this both ways in the past.

I think it's better to cut the balsa sheet away. You can cut an X in the covering and iron it down. The edges of the 1/16" sheet help when locating the wing and putting the bolts in.

If you leave the 1/16" sheet, it does compress and you get saggy covering.

Regards

Geoff

• 1 month later...

Not been idle, nearly finished, but first a catch up.

As I've mentioned before there will be no wires running to the wing, I'll be using the cabanes. and the wing will carry all the wiring.

Typical connection detail - wires soldered onto the captive nuts with a strain relief to support the wire.

Its all then sheeted and capping strips added. The capping strips were cut from a 3"sheet with a balsa stripper.

Servo built into the wing, worked well on my Super 60.

More details on my website

Andy

I hear what you are saying Chris, one side will not be covered (part of the scheme) not sure about the other side.

To be honest I'm not too concerned. I don't have any long reach allen keys, and it could only be an issue when turned on.

Also the amount of bare metal wont be as bad is it looks in the pictures as the top section / cockpit will be there.

That said a coat of finishing epoxy won't go a-mis

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Very interesting colour scheme Andy. I am thinking of building an Aircamper from the Traplet plans which is a similar looking craft and might have a go with some transparent colour film (again!). Very neat work. What colour will the leds be?

Funny you should say that. I have a design for a small .25 powered model I designed to learn CAD, while playing one day Merlin (the cat a right miserable so and so) came in with a mouse, and started chomping his way through it.

The model is called 'Merlins Mouse'

Andy

• 4 weeks later...