Why do I support my LMS

Dai Fledermaus

Fundementally I suspect Rich, because the owner is of the same breed - so they don't see the fault!

BTW - "talking to customers instead of standing round chatting to your mates" is exactly what I mean by professionalism in this context.

You have obviously had some very bad experiences - and sadly you are not alone - but I do think we have to keep in mind (to be fair) that not all model shops are like this! But its equally true that too many of them are!

BEB

Advert

Sadly BEB, it is not just model shops, and wherever I experience bad service I do not go back.

No, its not all bad. My local family run builders merchant is brilliant and I am happy to use them and pay slightly more - funnily enough they are located opposite to my LMS!!!

Edited By Rich2 on 07/01/2014 12:09:28

Edited By Rich2 on 07/01/2014 12:09:40

I agree Biggles, the attitude of some is not the attitude of all but the LMS's of old seemed to offer a more friendly service.

When I started flying 15 years ago the LMS in Peterborough was tiny but was crammed as much as possible and if they did not have it in stock they were happy to order it or offer advice on alternatives. Having said that "as much as possible" meant nowhere near as much variety as there is available today.

Now I'm returning to the hobby I can see that there's so much on offer you can't guarantee any shop stocking everything other than the best selling items. If that means they only sell RTF's and hardly any stock of wood then that is what they do, unless they go online and increase their presence ensuring a variety of orders that way.

Customer service though has a massive effect in ensuring your custom. I was in the quite well known LMS, or probably the only LMS, in MK. A couple of people where absorbed in fiddling with the retracts of a customers model ignoring me and another customer. It took a couple of coughs to be noticed yet they simply carried on with their fiddling with what I think was a Mosquito. Another member of staff came back from his fag break and served us but if he had not come along I was going to dump my balsa and order online.

I don't think the nail in the coffin for your LMS is as cut and dried as one individual thing, as there are other factors, such as price, but the service that could be offered would ensure your custom. That customer service seems to be lacking a lot in some places and as far as I am concerned I would not wish to go back to my LMS unless I really, really had to have something quicker than what internet ordering can give me; I can't be bothered with risking waiting to be ignored.

I’m in total agreement with BEB on this, the decline of the LMS is a very sad affair. Use it or lose it. However, there must be a critical mass in local population to allow a dedicated Model Shop be viable. My closest LMS was purely that at one time, but he has had to diversify and now he sells equipment and clothing for the Rambler in addition to models. He’s mainly the Railway type but he does stock a small amount of RC and Aircraft gear. He’s ideally placed for me just behind one of the railway stations on my regular commute, so when I need something it’s a hop off/on visit. If he hasn’t got it in stock I lose nothing and he always offers to get it.

My "real" LMS is RC World and Martin is always very helpful, knowledgeable and competitive. I suspect his business survives because of his online profile.

I have to admit I am probably not a good customer for him, not because of disloyalty but because I’m a "builder" and would prefer to make as much as I can from scratch. The kit I have I take great care of, I guess I'm not alone in this, which is not good for business.

I think BEB has summed up the situation very well and very fairly ... I would just add one further point.

In these enlightened days of retailing customer feedback is very important in order to maintain and improve the quality of a business. Sadly I would have to say that those very individuals who are the cause of the negative comment towards LMS are quite likely to be the types who are not interested in feedback (ref BEB's alpha male comments); and worse than that could well be the types who behave negatively (even aggressively) when/if feedback is offered constructively. I know that doesn't sound very positive but I think it is a realistic appraisal of what goes on sometimes.

As one who has been there and got the tee-shirt (of former LMS owner) I find it disappointing (yet not surprising) to hear the repeated tales of poor LMS experience. I would really like to be able to encourage as many as possible to use their LMS but I do understand why many are turning away.

As a customer myself in more recent years I am lucky that Webbies is just 30 minute drive away so consider that to be my LMS ...

Finally a question "How do you make a small fortune selling model goods?" ... answer "start with a large fortune then open an LMS!" ... the therapy has worked for me ... I can laugh about it now !!!

Edited By avtur on 07/01/2014 13:29:15

Posted by Michael Wright on 07/01/2014 10:24:02:

This is an interesting thread. When I lived in the Heathrow area I had three model shops within easy reach, one in Harlington,one in Slough, and one in Brentford, all competing with each other, mind you ,I am talking a good 10 years ago now!

The first shop mentioned refused to order a speed controller for me, the second was very rude, I needed a female green plug for my twinstar but at the time had a senior moment and said " just let me think a mo" at witch point the owner of the shop thrust a female and a male plug across the counter and literally sneered.."YOU CHOOSE!". The last shop was visited with a friend to help him buy a second hand trainer. We discussed this with the shop owner and it was obvious from what we said and my friends body language that he was on the point of commiting...HE REFUSED TO GET THE MODEL DOWN FOR FINAL INSPECTION saying we probably would not buy it anyway!. If the shop had been full of customers I could understand and would have been happy to have gone back, but it was only us there!

Since then the shop in Brentford has changed hands and is now "Brentford RC" where I have enjoyed the BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE I'VE EVER HAD ANYWHERE IN ENY TYPE OF SHOP EVER!!!.

Why this 'grumpy attitude' exists I've never been able to work out...from the look of this thread I am not alone!

regards

mike

I live in the Heathrow area and these there shops are still around including a fourth shop, Addlestone models. So yes I am lucky that I have four shops in driving distance. However I order most of my stuff from Leeds model shop because the are very helpful on the phone and things like Fuel and new models I wait for the shows.

All of the above stores (except Leeds models) I have found to be the same unless you spend a fortune every week you will not get the time of day from the staff when you go in or call. If I really need something that cannot wait then I go normally to slough rc as they have more stock then the others.

Mike

Posted by colin gough 1 on 06/01/2014 17:44:28:

I thought it was just me, there used to be a model shop at Ashford Kent.

Colin look here or here, the first one is twenty minutes and the second one 65 - 75 minutes.

First rate service to all every time.

Am I on the same planet as most of you, I used Avicraft until 14 years ago as it was local to me, I now use AMS but last month went into Avicraft (Mini Panic) and not one thing had changed (apart from the saw dust on the floor; gone...) total chaos service with a smile and you have to walk backwards to get out the door politely. Long live the LMS

David

Whilst I support the need to use your LMS it is becoming very difficult. It's a 50 mile round trip to my nearest shop and yes I phone ahead but I still get let down by poor staff knowledge and general apathy. Over the last year I can't remember a single occasion when I have come away with everything I set out to buy. Not talking exotic parts, basics such as props, covering, engine bolts etc., never any offer to order in missing items, simply a shrug of the shoulders from the owner. Plastic, kits, trains and dolls house have pushed RC stuff to the back. If it wasn't for fuel I wouldn't go, and on several occasions no fuel either!

Posted by David Tweddle on 07/01/2014 14:36:36:

I thought it was just me, there used to be a model shop at Ashford Kent.

Colin look here or here, the first one is twenty minutes and the second one 65 - 75 minutes.

David, it would appear you have misunderstood what i have written. I am refering to the model shop that used to be at Ashford. I didnt feel at the time there was a need to mention it was the one at the garden center.

I have not been into any other shop in or around Ashford so cant pass comment but wish them well in their ventures.

Posted by colin gough 1 on 07/01/2014 16:03:13:
Posted by David Tweddle on 07/01/2014 14:36:36:

I didnt feel at the time there was a need to mention it was the one at the garden center.

My son Got a hamster there, By the time Granny got him back to Deal he had eaten his way out of the box

Colin that was not a real Model Shop...

Are you still in Kent as the other two are well worth a visit.

Davidwink 2

I think there are five in Mallorca so I suppose in population wise we are doing quite well. I have found four of them but living in the Wild West it is a minimum 35km to the nearest. I have made repeated attempts to find the fifth but it must be so well hidden amongst narrow one-way streets that I have given up for the time being.

One of the main ones is also a toy shop with the RC section in the basement. The owners don't talk much except when you ask for a price but they do have a good selection of paints, strip wood and sections including quite lot of carbon. The other main one has two branches on the island and this is where I go for anything technical (especially electrics) because the advice is first class. The owner Javier is a young glider enthusiastic high up in the Spanish championships. It is very friendly and from time to time I get emails advising events, exhibitions and workshops. Any day now will arrive an email about an airbrush workshop which is very exciting.

I really like browsing model shops. In fact hey are the only shops in which I might be found browsing (apart from perhaps in some of the excellent independent hardware shops) and if I am really lucky I can get to two shops around every six weeks while my better half is at the hairdresser. Works well for me

MikeS, I know what you mean, because of stock levels I bit the bullet and bought my wot4XL from slough, still met the same attitude until I mentioned I needed an engine for it at over £300.00 at that point the 'smiles' started.

If it had not been so false I would have bought it then, but because of the 'falseness' I went else where, ie Brentford RC where terrific service was received!

Now, this may seem like negative posting, but all we just want good customer service. I work in the service industry and have learned early on that my idea of customer service is not relevant. What is required of me is to find out what the customer in front of me (yes, my job is that hands on!) thinks is good service ...then give it to them!!

While I agree with BEB as to why it is happening, it is not an acceptable excuse and should not be tolerated!

regards

mike

I think no one here has a right to complain... Just look for the shop you like... and go for it.

My LHS (or should I say, (F)avourite LHS) is a cool 7 hours drive from my front door.
I usually set off around 23h in the evening, and take the Eurotunnel around 1AM.
Then it's off to the London Orbital, grinning at Dartford Crossing as the barriers let me through for free, and cruising on to the M1.
After about 2 and a half hour of very early morning M1-ing, I arrive near Parkgate, Rotherham, South-Yorkshire, where I zombie out of the drivers seat, straight into the bed that was neatly prepared for my arrival.

In the early afternoon I arise, and just the mere thought of visiting my FLHS, puts me in the best of moods. I grab some toast, have a yukkee coffee (with all due respect, but oh you English know nothing about coffee!), and fly soar float drive to Parkgate, where I enter the jewel I, and I'm quite confident to say I, as only Belgian, discovered a couple of years ago... A small and tidy modelshop with 2 big friendly smiles behind the counter. A chat, a laugh. Some info, lots of experience, a transaction fairly priced, and a goodbye.

See you again Roy and Charles, very soon
Thank you for being my FLHS, only 650km's (400miles) away.. wink

Tim

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 07/01/2014 21:01:58

Just to add my tuppence worth,,

I think I'm very lucky in having 3 retailers within a maximum of 40 mins drive and can get an excellent selection of finishing kit and UK web competitive prices for some of the big purchases.

In my experience a common factor is the personal service and genuine desire to please.

I support them as much as I can.

Regards

John

Two stories to tell:-

1. About 25 years ago I worked as a youngster in my LMS on Saturdays. I frequently got it pointed out to me that I never took as much money as the other youngster. This was because he just rang up the money for plastic kits etc. whereas I took my time with customers, frequently the ones who were looking to buy a model plane (I couldn't help it, when I saw someone eyeing up the kits I had to wander over). Occasionally I would ring in a big sale for engines, radio etc. but often the customer would come in wanting a (you've guessed it ) Spitfire and I would spend the time explaining how they really needed a trainer first. So effectively I was being pressed just to ring up sales, not advise the customer on what he needed. Said LMS shut down about six months ago.

2. My (now) LMS that I've visited recently was fine to me until in conversation the Owner asked what club I was a member of. When I replied that I was a lone hand and not a member of a club he almost turned his back on me! I've since joined a club and been back to the shop, but his action on that occasion was so abrupt it shocked me a bit.

Sorry, not going to name and shame either LMS as I think that would be unfair of me.

Shaunie.

Posted by john stones 1 on 07/01/2014 20:53:31:

Tim

give them a name good for business

is it Nitro Flight ?

Yes John, it's Nitroflight Models Ltd in Rotherham. If you live in the (wide) area you probably already know them... if you don't, well go see for yourself smiley (although it's been very busy lately, just pop in, you'll see they'll try and take the time to really help you).

Michael Wright, I'm sorry I seem to have offended you; that was not my intention at all... I was trying to show my admiration for a very fine (not so very local) model shop indeed, in a bit of a humorous (typical Belgian?) fashion...
Sorryindecision

Tim.

The enthusiasm of the LMS proprieter has dwindled away over my lifetime. Bill Davis, owner of Sheen Models, would open up on sunday mornings just for the local flyers in Richmond park. His son, Phil, would often arrive at the flying field with a selection of props and fuel - just in time. As a family business, they were seen at most of the rallies and Nats. Jones Brothers of Chiswick would have queues out on the pavement every saturday. Very enthusiastic staff, which was reciprocated by happy customers - enjoying their shopping experience. I once cycled across London to 308 Holloway Road, where I met HJN himself, another who exuded enthusiasm. Can't imagine it now, but the internet, with its cold, non-responsive screen, is certainly no substitute.