PZL-11

I've decided to do a 'build blog' on the PZL-P11 as I can not find any other blogs on this plane (I could be wrong!!)

Its not so much of a new build more of a re-vamp as I purchased it already built. I picked her up at my model flying club bi-annual auction for the grand sum of £5! Bargainlaugh.I don't know anything about this plane but I do know it was a kit because of the printed numbers on fuss, rudder and elevators. It has a 6ft wing span, veneered foam wings and fuss. The position of the throttle control led me to believe that the engine was a 2 stroke of what size I have no idea.

First job was to strip all of the solar film to see what was what! The photos don't really show clearly but there were lots of cracks in the fuss and the cowling. Other repairs to include new ailerons, new servo hatches and thats just for starters!

s8003442.jpg

s8003440.jpg

s8003462.jpg

The wings now stripped, and cowling ready for repair, Im going to recover her in Koverall, and stick a 90 four stroke on the front.

Andy

Advert

What a great choice Andy, I'm surprised we don't see this more often. Purely out of interest, another great fighter type for modelling,the IAR80, the Rumanian low wing monoplane fighter that was used extensively in WW2, used the PZ11 rear fuselage and tail unit, back from the cockpit.

Despite its' obsolescence,the P11 nailed a few German kites during the short campaign following the invasion on 3 September 1939.

Hi Colin,

That fact I've never seen one on the flight line or at shows made it more of "I want it!" plus fact I got it for £5.00 made it even better, I would love to know name of the kit, and what year the kits were made, I've also wondered if it was from the uk.

I'm looking to getting it all sorted and cant wait to fly it.

Andy

I think its probably an old Flitecraft kit from the early 1990s. This had foam wings and foam deckings for the fuselage stuck around a balsa box. It was a UK made kit.

I had or have an RC Scale Aircraft magazine with a kit review.

IIRC, the review model went well with an OS70 Surpass so it should have a healthy reserve with a 91 in!

Has the makings of a good model, keep ploughing on

Jeff Barringer reviwed the Flitecraft PZL P11c in RC Scale Aircraft Quarterly Aug/Sept 1993.

Nothing special in the review except he gave the control throws which are not mentioned in the instructions.
Ailerons up 15mm. down 12mm
Rudder 45 mm each way
Elevator 22mm each way
Flapperons 12mm dn

Weight 10 pounds.
OS 70 Surpass

I agree with Alan in that it is most probably a Flitecraft model. When I was at Old Warden in May 1995 I purchased amodel from them but couldn't make up my mind which one as they had two kits. One was the PZL 11 and the other was the Westland Lysander.

I eventually went with the Lysander and, believe it or not, I haven't yet completed it.

They provided plenty of bits with it - moulded cockpit fascia, dummy engine insert for the cowling, underneath fuel tank and wheel fairiings.

I belive Mr. MacGuinness died soon after 1995.

I paid £110.00 for my kit and if I remember right the PZL 11 was the same.

Sorted out new servo hatches and the cracks on the cowling, on the inside glass fibre with apoxy and on the out side car filler, needs bit more rubbing down yet, but its all in one piece again! also I've took the lead off the outer cowling all 8oz of it.!!

Alan kindly sent me the review (BIG thank you), and going off the pictures yes it I would say its the same kit, which makes me feel better about putting a .91 on the front.

Malcolm get cracked on with that Lysander!!

s8003600.jpg

s8003596.jpg

s8003598.jpg

Andy

Just a quick up date, I've made new ailerons as the old ones had to many dents and cracks in them to do anything with, I've put the servos in new hatches, recovered the servo leads into the wing and both ailerons all hinged now.

s8003570.jpg

s8003572.jpg

Tonight I worked on the tail end, lots of filler to try and get both side the same size and shape, bit of patching with some 1/16 scarp then filled, more rubbing down over next few days.

s8003561.jpg

s8003560.jpg

s8003564.jpg

s8003563.jpg

Andy

Hi Bob,

When I did some Google homework I had it in my head to do a sort of brownie colour on the top wings, fuss, tail plane, rudder and then a light sort of a light sky blueish colour under wings and tail plane, but as I've done more and more research on the PZL Im now thinking of going with a khaki green instead of brown, but still not surefrown

p11.jpg

2006_08_18_pzl_p11c_77.jpg

images.jpg

Andy

Hi Bob,

Been there, got the T-shirt yes many thanks tho, I've done the Google images, plus you tube, plus ect ect, I agree with you about nice camo schemes, the reason why I cant make my mind up is because of the choice of colours I could have, as you can see from pictures it was red and I even found a picture of a red PZL somewhere on the internet which did suprised me to honest, there is two on you tube one is blue, the other one is brown, the blue one doesn't look right to me.

Andy