Mick Reeves 1/3rd Scale Pup

A few gentle tweaks and a touch of scale grunting later...

pup build 022.jpg

I simply slid some heatshrink tubing over the ali tues and used fuse wire to simulate the hose connectors.

pup build 029.jpg

To make the metal attachment brackets I cut some simple strips of lithoplate and laid it accross a couple of similar diameter rods to the ali tube.pup build 025.jpg

Another rod over the top and a quick tap with something heavy...pup build 027.jpg

Leaves a suitable looking fixing bracket....

pup build 028.jpg

When fixed in place with 000 size screws I think it looks passable..

pup build 030.jpg

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

More work completed...

I came accross these beauties at a show recently and thought..Mmmmmm there must be loads of applications for those..

They are called eyebolts and these are m3 in size..

wii3 001.jpg

I reckoned uses could be rigging attachment points or similar so I thought I would experiment.

First off a bit of servo installation - these 2 drive the rudder and elevator - the elevators are driven via closed loop via a large aluminium arm to give a chunk of mechanical advantage. The push rod connects to the innermost hole of the servo arm.

wii3 004.jpg

The servos are Hitec 645's and are fitted on a removeable tray.

wii3 007.jpg

So straight off there is a use for the eyebolts as adjustable connectors for the closed loop. Note the use of locknuts and petrol tubing to keep everything where I want it.

Another tip when using closed loop is to run the wire through the ferrule twice - there is no way that it can slide undone!

wii3 010.jpg

It was then on with the rigging..

The instructions are a bit vague around this area but a quick google and a check in my Sopwith Pup book from JM Bruce gave the process for rigging the full size..if its good enough for a real plane then its ok for the model!

First step - support the fus in the flying position with the top longeron horizontal.

A few bits of string with plumb bobs attached to the absolute midde of the centre section allowed me to align it directly over the centre line of the fus, string from the back corners of the centre section to the fin post saw it aligned in a similar way to centering the wing on a smaller model.

wii3 013.jpg

I want to get the rigging absolutely cock on so I am first of all rigging it with bicycle gear cable silver soldered to M3 adjusters fitted with standard adjustable clevis,,When happy I will use the flat rigging wires supplied with the kit. the reason for doing it this way is that the 2 clevis; allow over 20mm of adjustment whereas the MR wires give 5mm max.

They are absolutely rock solid though - my other 3rd scale stuff fly using bike/gear cables as rigging. - no crappy plastic coating to knacker up the soldering like the thin stuff available in model shops.

wii3 014.jpg

To get the dihedral correct I just lodged a box in the right place to give me the correct height at the tip. dead easy to then connect the landing wires to firstly the bottom wing, install the struts and connect the flying wires to the top panels. the is no wash in or wash out to set so nice straight rigging is order of the day.

wii3 015.jpg

Lots of wires!

wii3 019.jpg

But before long a fully rigged pup was sitting in the spare room - Result!!...Beer o'clock!!

wii3 018.jpg

This has finally got me to the point where I can identify the exact point that the flying wires pass through the lower wing panel - The wires go through a channel iset n the covering and connect to the top of the undercarriage - no chance of the fittings pulling through wood on this kit like Balsa USA kits- they bolt to the metal struts of the U/C as per the full size.

wii3 020.jpg

I can finally get on with the remainder of the covering. Got to leave the pup to one side for a few days as I need to do a couple of servicing and repair jobs on the Nieuport in readiness for Shuttleworth Main WW1 event on Sunday - Dawn Patrol will be doing a staic show there and also a spot of flying before the full size...Its an ace place and seeing the full size WW1 stuff fly is stunning!

Jez

• 2 weeks later...

Jez,

This is a great thread. I am currently building the Balsa USA 1/3 scale Pup. Because of the work that you are doing I am making various modifications to mine.

One question, where did you purchase your 3mm eye bolts? I'm in the US and I have searched the internet but have not found anything like that. I am also working on a 1/4 scale SE5A with scale landing gear and I have been looking for something exactly like what you have. All the eye bolts I find are on line have a big opening and they are made out of wire instead of having the machined top.

Thanks,

Andy

Posted by Andy Fracica on 15/08/2014 20:55:59:

Jez,

This is a great thread. I am currently building the Balsa USA 1/3 scale Pup. Because of the work that you are doing I am making various modifications to mine.

One question, where did you purchase your 3mm eye bolts? I'm in the US and I have searched the internet but have not found anything like that. I am also working on a 1/4 scale SE5A with scale landing gear and I have been looking for something exactly like what you have. All the eye bolts I find are on line have a big opening and they are made out of wire instead of having the machined top.

Thanks,

Andy

Thank you Andy..

Try here for the eyebolts - its where I sourced mine..

http://www.slecuk.com/catalogue/General-Accessories.html

Jez

Thank ou for the encoragement Cymaz

Posted by Andy Fracica on 15/08/2014 20:55:59:

Jez,

Thanks,

Andy

Forgot to say - make the rigging attachment points better on the BUSA pup - they are very weak - we have had a couple of losses where the fitting pulled out.

They fly superbly though!!

Jez

Posted by Jez Harris 1 on 18/08/2014 18:19:24:

Forgot to say - make the rigging attachment points better on the BUSA pup - they are very weak - we have had a couple of losses where the fitting pulled out.

They fly superbly though!!

Jez

Thanks for the web address Jez. I have sent them an email to see if they can ship to the US and If they will sell in bulk. I'd like to order about 100 of the eye bolts.

On the rigging points, I agree with you about them being weak. I am intending to make them more scale like. I am going to make the landing gear closer to scale using a combination of music wire, steel tubing, and thin steel ribbon to replicate the look of the original. I'm going to solder a rigging point bracket on the landing for the rear diagonal wire. I'm also making the cabane struts to scale as well and I am going to replicate the attachment points on the on the center section. So I have my work cut out for me but it will be a labor of love.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

The wheel covers are simple plastic covers held on with doubles sided tape..they can be a bit prone to falling off so I think I can kill 2 birds with one stone here.

I want to both strengthen the attachment and add the rim detail.

So I ironed a simple strip of text to the edge of the disc, which was then folded inside the rim and secured...I think the pictures explain it better.

img_20140827_202557.jpg

Jez,

This looks great! Thanks for the link to that great picture archive. You have inspired me. I have taken my Balsa USA Pup and completely reconfigured the fuse to look like the the full scale bird, at least in the areas that you will be able to see from the outside. Once it is a little further along, I'll post a picture for you to see.

I struck out with that company that had the eye bolts, they were not going to stock them any more and they didn't know where the previous company owner bought them, so my search continues...

Posted by Andy Fracica on 27/08/2014 22:37:33:

Jez,

This looks great! Thanks for the link to that great picture archive. You have inspired me. I have taken my Balsa USA Pup and completely reconfigured the fuse to look like the the full scale bird, at least in the areas that you will be able to see from the outside. Once it is a little further along, I'll post a picture for you to see.

I struck out with that company that had the eye bolts, they were not going to stock them any more and they didn't know where the previous company owner bought them, so my search continues...

Thats a shame...try The Balsa Cabin - they also had some although you will need to email or phone them as their on line catalogue doesnt list them.

Jez

Ok - the wheels are now primed and painted so time for finishing details.

I have purchased a full set of masks, stencils and rubdowns from Nigel at Flightline Graphics.

He is ace!! - really knowledgeable, very helpful and very well priced too!!

He produced exactly the graphics I asked for and knocked up some tyre stencils too..

img_20140829_194948.jpg

A quick application of proper rubber tyre paint ordered off evil bay and I quicly ended up with this..

img_20140829_200903.jpg

I dont think thats too far off the original..just needs dirtying up a bit (couple of landings will do that!!)

2012-10-20_00057.jpg

Edited By Jez Harris 1 on 29/08/2014 20:28:30

Edited By Jez Harris 1 on 29/08/2014 20:36:34

So you wanna know how the stencils work - OK...

The stencils are supplied on easy to remove backing sheets..

img_20140829_210519.jpg

They have wonderfully thought out alignment tabs built in -you can just make out a little greyish circle on the tab - it lines up perfectly with the centre of the axle, however I'm a maverick so I removed the tyres so I could work on both the tyres and the rims at the same time.

The stencil backing is quite tacky so it grabs really well to most surfaces - its not 100% effective on rubber tyres but I dont think much is!!

img_20140829_210548.jpg

You rub the protective layer really well to get the stencil to stick thoroughly - then peel the protective layer off.

The next photo isnt very good but you can see what is left behind - just the stencil/mask. I gave a another rubbing down to make sure it was fixed firmly.

img_20140829_211013.jpg

then its on with the tyre paint, I added loads of paint as I want a line of raised letters.

img_20140829_211345.jpg

Next its a case of peeling the mask off - I do it whilst the paint is still going off as I dont want to risk cracking bits off.

img_20140829_211421.jpg

The only thing left to do is to remove the centres of letters like O and P and A etc..I use a scalpel to pick out the bits.

img_20140829_211510.jpg

Finally I have applied the rub downs on the inside of the wheel discs and given the discs a quick coat of Ronseal waterbased satin varnish. The varnish is still wet here so will dull down as it dries.

I'm happy with the finish! smiley Jez

img_20140829_212701.jpg