Mick Reeves 1/3rd Scale Pup

Ok, So I've been doing a spot of covering recently - my favourite bit of any build!

Fin and rudder..

pup build 002.jpg

Horizontal stab and elevators..

pup build 003.jpg

And a shot or 2 showing how thin the sections are on this model thanks to the wire trailing edges/structure.

This first shot is the rudder - shot edge on with a biro for scale...

pup build 010.jpg

Then the leading edge of the wings..

pup build 008.jpg

This shows the very scale-like under camber of the wings

pup build 009.jpg

Jez

Advert

I'm happy with the result of the stitching on the main panels, and the dummy pulleys look good so far too.

pup build 012.jpg

pup build 011.jpg

I've got the tops and bottoms of all 4 panels plus edge tapes to do so I might be busy for a little while - And there are shows coming up too!

Back soon.

Jez

• 3 weeks later...

Back with another progress report - or "Pupdate" as they are known in our house.

Bored with covering wings, ailerons and doing stitching and hingeing, I thought I would have a change and do some work on the fus.

So out with the covering iron and loads more solartex..

Firstly a cover of tex all over.

pup build 014.jpg

Then it was simple enough to fit the step I made earlier out of lithopate - the MR screws look fine in this and just lift the detail a bit more.

pup build 015.jpg

I also added the brass tubing where the closed loop cables exit the fusealge sides - these will drive the elevators.

pup build 016.jpg

Then it was on with the turtle deck - again made earlier in the build - complete with coaming. The decking is trimmed with some D shape ply trim - easy enough to fit on the sides as they are straight runs - the back edge is a bit more challenging because of the curve of the fus - I snapped the first piece trying to bend it so I had to come up with another plan..

pup build 019.jpg

So it was out with the kettle - I simply shoved the trim into the spout and held the button in the on position for 15 mins - occasionally swapping ends.

When flexible I clamped it in place around a suitable container and left it to dry.

pup build 020.jpg

It worked great and left a nicely curved piece.

pup build 027.jpg

Another step completed then..

pup build 028.jpg

I'm pleased with the way the detail of the cockpit interior shows up against the inside of the tex.

pup build 026.jpg

So with the top deck in place I checked to see if the new metalwork for the front end fitted okay - its all still in primer at the moment - the thinking being if I spray it now, Sod's Law will kick in and it will get scratched.

pup build 030.jpg

I decided to go with scale fitting of the side plates - A cable held in tension simply holds it against the fus side - The full size actually has a groove in the metal that locates into a channel in the fus framing - A bit too much for me - As long as it looks right and works properly then that'll do!

pup build 033.jpg

I decided to chuck a few more bits on....I find this really gives a boost in motivation - After working on this for 6 months, it pays to just see what it is you are actually putting all the effort into. Its easier with smaller models cos you can see most of what you are building all of the time - At 1/3rd scale you tend to have bits stored here there and everywhere and you dont often throw it all together. So on went...........

The cowl and dummy engine...

pup build 035.jpg

The tailplane and vertical stab/rudder...

pup build 041.jpg

A wing!!

pup build 036.jpg

I'm proud of how the pulleys have turned out..

pup build 039.jpg

So - A final progress shot for now....

The fus just needs the lacing panel fitting on the starboard side - got to make it first!, this will be followed by the lacing at the back end.

Still 2 more wings to cover, stitch and detail.

2 More ailerons to cover and detail (weirdly it takes nearly as long to do an aileron as it takes to do a wing panel.)

Then it will be paint time!! - and the dreaded rigging!

pup build 043.jpg

Cheers for now and thank you all who have given such positive feedback and comments.

Jez

Edited By Jez Harris 1 on 09/06/2014 22:22:19

• 3 weeks later...

Okay...

Back to it after coming back from a cracking week in the Lake District - only downside was I missed the Greenacres Fly-in.

On with the fuselage and its time to sort the stitching.

On the full size the right hand panel has a run of stitching along it to allow servicing and inspection to take place without the need the strip panels off and have to re-dope the airframe.

The rear of the panel is laced to the last upright on the side.

So I folded the last 10mm of solartex and ironed it to itself to create a seam. Next out with the drill and popped some holes in the upright.

pup build 046.jpg

Next I took two strips of 'tex about 8mm wide and folded a seam back along it - this was then ironed down. Note the 'tex is torn - not cut. - This wil give a rough edge which is as close to recreating the frayed edge of the real covering as I need to get.

pup build 048.jpg

These are ironed on, leaving about a 2mm gap between the opposing edges.

pup build 049.jpg

Then marked at 15mm spacings

pup build 050.jpg

Next it was out with the soldering iron..I simply burned holes very carefuly through the 3 layers of 'tex.

pup build 051.jpg

Into these I could then simply insert some brass eyelets.

pup build 052.jpg

Quite a decent effect so far. - I wont do the lacing until after the airframe has been painted as I need the cord to show up and not be hidden by the paint.

pup build 054.jpg

Posted by Jez Harris 1 on 27/06/2014 18:40:35:

Back to it after coming back from a cracking week in the Lake District - only downside was I missed the Greenacres Fly-in.

Your absence was noted and remarked upon, Mr Harris. Expect to find your name in the official Naughty Book. angry

Super work with the Solartex - you make it look achievable for us lesser mortals to have a bash at.

tim

• 4 weeks later...

Another few weeks slip by befroe another update..

Progress has been slow due to flying at a few shows and having realised I had a bit of an issue with this build....

surprise

I decided a few weeks ago to put the whole thing together properley for a rigging session. It all went together great until I viewed it from the front.

Pup wings should be the same distance apart all the way through from the tips to the centre section.

My a/c was definately deeper at the centre section than at the interplane struts.

It looked more like a Sopwith Camel than a Pup!

A quick session with the plans and rulers told me I built exactly to the plans - the only thing I can assume is that I messed up with the bends in the metalwork at the ends of the struts but I dont see how as the difference was 20mm...

Still - it was out with a saw and I spent several days shortening them and re-inserting the struts. It goes together fine now.

Next my attention turned to connecting the ailerons to the servos. The wings are too thin to allow for the positioning of standard servos in them, and I dont really want access panels in the wings for even super slim servos so I decided to go with fus mounted servos driving pushrods out to the lower ailerons and connecting rods driving the upper ailerons.

This led to trying to think of the easiest way of connecting the aileron pushrods to the servos. They had to be

A - secure with no chance of accidental disconnection.

B - robust enough to survive lots of connecting and re-connecting without work hardening (std clevis are out here then)

C - easy to do one handed whilst standing a 1/3rd scaler on its nose whilst holding a very large wing panel in place.

I settled for these..

This bit screws to a 3mm pushrod.

pup build 001.jpg

A ball joint fits on the servo arm

pup build 002.jpg

You get a very snug ball and socket joint - no play whatsoever and the white spring loaded plastic sleeve gives a secure yet quick method of attaching/releasing.

pup build 005.jpg

So - 2 servos in the fus..due to clearance issues - the connections are underneath the arms.

pup build 008.jpg

A simple case of dropping the pushrod onto the servo...

pup build 010.jpg

At the moment I'm using a simple std 90 degree swivel to set up the geometries I want. This will be replaced with a much stiffer paxolin or circuit board one when sorted.

pup build 012.jpg

I've also spent a bit of time making the cover for the bottom of the fus- this allows access to the radio gear in the front of the tray.

pup build 013.jpg

I put a simple solartex hinged panel at the rear. This will allow access to the servo connections without having to unscrew bits. Simple magnets will secure it.

pup build 014.jpg

I have also installed a 40oz petrol fuel tank - dont worry the fus was upside down when I photo'd this. A simple shelf will hold both the tank and the batteries. Its one of the beauties of building big, simple models - theres loads of room for not much technology!!

pup build 015.jpg

A quicj check that the metal gutter at front of the fus fits..

pup build 016.jpg

Next up I want to try to recreate these fittings on the front of the struts- This is from the full size....

full size struts.jpg

So I started with a couple of aluminium tubes..

pup build 019.jpg

And some heatshrink tubing..

pup build 020.jpg

And a little spring tube bender..These allow you to bend tubing without it simply creasing - they cost pennies and are really helpful if you are heavy-handed like me.

pup build 021.jpg