Mick Reeves 1/3rd Scale Pup

Another simple but time consuming job was painting the undercariage.

mr pup build 010.jpg

The u/c is fully sprung - You get some bungee, form a loop at each end and tie them securely...

mr pup build 011.jpg

The end is attached over one of the bobbins welded to the u/c earlier, wrapped in a figure of 8 and secured with the other loop over the other bobbin.mr pup build 012.jpg

Next up was the tailskid - a simple piece of birch, cut to shape with a metal collar around the attachment point.

mr pup build 007.jpg

Another piece of metal and a bit of shaping with a dremel - this forms the protective plate to stop the skid being worn away..Its amazing how tarmac eats wood..The runways at Barkston Heath are evil and men with wooden legs have been known to lose 6" just walking to retrieve planes.

mr pup build 008.jpg

screw it all together and ready for a coat of stain.

mr pup build 009.jpg

Advert

Thx Terry..

The next bit is to try and replicate the top decking..

Here is what the full size looks like.. lots of cut outs and holes and access panels.

top deck.jpg

So - start with a fresh bit of medium weight lithoplate.

mr pup build 021.jpg

Cut the holes required using a sharp blade and a burr tool in a dremel - these are just done roughly to begin with

mr pup build 023.jpg

A small access panel from brass sheet. It is actually straight but the camera angle has made it look quite deformed!

mr pup build 022.jpg

I quickly heated the area the panel will locate to anneal it, then used the panel to press a recess into the litho. The dimples will buff out easily later.

mr pup build 024.jpg

mr pup build 025.jpg

So - polished up a bit and taped in place to check - I think it looks fine.

mr pup build 027.jpg

To create the effect of the oil filler/fuel filler reinforcement rings shown here....

top deck.jpg

I took a quick trip to poundland and bought a plumbing repair kit for..errrr £1..

In it were loads of different plastic and fibre washers..

mr pup build 002.jpg

They need a couple of coats of brass paint, but they will do the trick....

mr pup build 029.jpg

And thats me up to date again!!

i need some suggestions for making the ammo belt....Any suggestions greatfully recieved!

Jez

Posted by Tim Hooper on 24/02/2014 21:04:46:

Got to hand to you mister - lovely!

I like your common sense approach to detailing too. Let's face it; this Pup is going to have to work hard for a living, and not just get wheeled out a couple of times a year for competitions.

tim

What does this mean- that it could be more detailed? and

Where is the full-size that the reference photos show? and

This is a fantastic model!

Posted by Rob Jones 2 on 25/02/2014 10:15:21:

What does this mean- that it could be more detailed? and

Where is the full-size that the reference photos show? and

This is a fantastic model!

I'll be the first to admit this is far from a proper competition scale model - it could indeed be more scale, however there are limits to what time I have available..

To see what can be achieved by real modelling pros, check out some of the builds on the RCScalebuilder site

The full size I'm getting the details from is The Vintage Aviator Ltd one (TVAL)

website..**LINK**

Thanks again for the positive feedback - it keeps the motivation going!

Jez

Posted by Tim Hooper on 24/02/2014 21:04:46:

Got to hand to you mister - lovely!

I like your common sense approach to detailing too. Let's face it; this Pup is going to have to work hard for a living, and not just get wheeled out a couple of times a year for competitions.

tim

Thanks Tim - I think scale modelling falls into 2 categories - The first is those people with the skills, machinary and time to jump on a lathe and machine up miniature versions of real aircraft pieces - There is a build on another site of a 1/3rd scale Sopwith Triplane that is absolutely amazing - its so precise and a real tribute to the skills of the builder. I would be to terrified to fly a plane that I have invested 1000's and 1000's of hours and several years in.

And then there is the "Smoke and Mirrors" approach - taking things and making them look the part - Those fibre washers will never look like the real brass inserts - but you will have to look to tell the difference hopefully!

I remember once looking at the hinge detail on a fellow Dawn Patrol member's Albatross and wondering how on earth he had produced such exquisite metalwork that actually formed a working hinge. When I asked him how - he just said - "Look again its just a standard robart pin hinge pushed through some cardboard"......

And you are right about the hard life - this wont be a hanger queen - it will be chucked in and out of an estate car or the horsebox modelling transporter - It will get caught in the rain. It will get flown weekend after weekend at shows and get scuffed and knocked about, and at some point it may get broken - I know which category is easier to mend and it isnt the first one!

But this is the beauty of the hobby - you can enjoy it at whatever level you want - If you want quick results then ARTF is the route - I've got a shed full of them. If you want to build from a kit reasonably quick then you can do that too - or spend a few 100 hours building a model like mine - or commit real mental self harm and spend years making a replica instead of just a 'model. Each to their own.

'Tis Ace!!

Jez

And today I got to play with my favourite tool again..

The good 'ole razor plane.

Anyone for Hamster bedding?

mr pup build 001.jpg

A coupe of hours of this left me with the four interplane struts at a basic shape...I was quite surprised at just how much wood had to come off - MR supplies the struts at about 1/2" thick - you plane about 2/3rds of this off!

mr pup build 002.jpg

Then its back to silver-soldering a bit of metal work - these will fit into each end of the struts - the flag bit will take the flying wire whilst the pin will locate through the spars. There is no bolt or other fitment - the only thing holding the struts in place is the tension in the flying wires..Making the wires structural solves having unsightly fixings visible, prevents the need for non-scale wing tubes, but does occasional result in dramatic sudden deceleration trauma when one lets go in flight....

mr pup build 005.jpg

And finally sanded to final shape and ends tapered and cut. I have since epoxied the pins in place.

mr pup build 006.jpg

If I had room in the workshop I could finally put it all together...

Just need to finish off that top decking first.

Jez

Edited By Jez Harris 1 on 27/02/2014 20:55:59

Hiya,

Just for my own amusement, I have just done a rough calculation of how much time I have spent working on this since I began on Dec 21st 2013..

Sundays, I get about 8-10 hours in the workshop.

Most weekdays I do approx 2-3 hours after work.

I've used a few days off from work and half-days here and there..

So I reckon at the most approx -250 - 280 hours!

At £625 for the kit, plus probably another £150- £200 on consumables such as silver solder, new tools, blades, drill bits (got through loads of these on the Stainless Steel!) etc. Including about £80 worth of various glues and spray paint. Total so far of about £800.

In my mind this would equate to 800 divided by 280 ....so about £2.80 for each hour of entertainment.

There cant be many hobbies that give such a great return!

Jez

(Am I a bit sad working this out - or is work just a bit sloooooow??)

Jez

As I said early on, this is very cheap entertainment because many of us are getting it for free by enjoying your thread.

This is a good way of thinking about it because the alternative (lost opportunity cost of, say, 280 hours at £10/hr + £800) looks like a big number which could be in the bank!

• 2 months later...

Err - hello again..blush

Sorry its been a while but a new job got in the way of building and I have been doing a bit of flying too.

I have been chipping away at little bits as and when I had time.

I also hit a few little snags that caused delays and affected the old building mojo too..

Anyway - update time..

The undercarriage needed finishing off - there is a bracing cable that runs accross the front of the axle fairing - It has whipped ends that attach to a turnbuckle. I created this by simply creating a loop in the cable and winding it with garden wire to simulate the whipping.

ebay 057.jpg

With both ends fitted I think it looks okay.

ebay 059.jpg

Next up - a quick slot together to remind me what I'm working towards...ebay 061.jpg

The rigging is temporary - just multi strand wire (bicycle gear cable inners) substituted for the flat rigging wire supplied in the kit. I havent properley rigged it so excuse it looking a bit lopsided!

ebay 062.jpg

No elevators or ailerons fitted as I hadnt yet sorted out the hinges - the kit is supplied with split pins which I want to use as they look quite scale when done. - Simple to do as you only need to drill a hole, insert the pin, spread the legs and then add solder to stop them closing again. I'm going belt and braces and adding a tiny washer to the rear of the pin to give added strength.

ebay 064.jpg

I have done the same to the trailing edge of the horizontal stab - only with 2 pins with a gap to take the pin on the elvator, and inserted a single piece of piano wire through all the hinge pins in one go (To make removing the moving surfaces easy to repair/service) I think they look great.

ebay 066.jpg

The whole horizontal stab will be removeable - the flying wires play a part in holding it on, but I have added a couple of threaded inserts so I can bolt the tailplane to the fus from underneath.

ebay 068.jpg

Little touches include the addition of supports around the control horns - without this there is nothing to iron the covering to.

ebay 070.jpg

I have also added a couple of layers of thin ply (left overs from the spar webbing) to the control horns - this will allow me give the horns the required streamlined shape.

ebay 073.jpg

Then I covered the ailerons and had the first disappointment.

The leading edges of the ailerons are made from dowling - its about 8mm diameter. The process of shrinking the covering simply bent them - they bowed in almost 5mm in the centre making it impossible to marry up to the stab.

This gave me the hump and I went flying instead of building - I really enjoyed being back in the field with good mates and having a chuckle - so I kept going!

Eventually I decided to have a rethink and spent ages replacing all the dowels with carbon tube - this meant redoing all the hinges etc but resulted in a really stiff leading edge with no weight penalty.

ebay 074.jpg

The process is a bit different when it comes to covering the elevators because of the wire trailing edges - quite simply I found it impossible to get a decent level of grip ironing the covering to metal - presumably because its not porous so the glue cant grip.

I resorted to cutting the covering a tiny teeny bit oversize - just enough to go round the wire and back to the inside of the covering - I didnt want this to be visible so it really was the smallest amount of overlap posible.

ebay 096.jpg

Finally I completed the other side and addied rib tapes, edge tapes etc. Another job ticked off!

ebay 075.jpg

The stabiliser recieved the same treatment - its amazing how much covering you get through when you start adding rib tapes and edge tapes!

ebay 079.jpg

I'm pleased with the detail I have achieved this far - using real stitching is very time consuming but looks ace!

ebay 080.jpg

At this point I decided I wasnt happy enough with the metal panelling I produced earlier so I spent a few days making some more - these look much nicer and have been prepared using a zinc primer designed to use on aluminium.

I also fashioned the breather tubes for the carb - Its amazing what you can do with old aluminium wing tubes!

ebay 085.jpg

Jez

Another important bit for scale models is a decent dummy engine - luckily the kit includes the basis of a really pleasing engine. The kit is supplied with a Le Rhone rotary and Mick now does a Clerget Kit but as its another £40 I went with the supplied item.

It consists of a thin plastic moulding where the whole body of the engine is in one piece.

ebay 086.jpg

There are then a couple of reinforcing rings, several lengths of pushrod and some copper tube. There are also lots of nuts and bolts.

ebay 087.jpg

First of all get hold of a fibreglassing kit from Halfords and chop some matting to line the rear of the cylinders.

ebay 088.jpg

ebay 089.jpg

ebay 090.jpg

The process of fibreglassing with these kits stinks - so do it somewhere outside! One layer of cloth is enough and you also glass the reinforcement rings into place.

When cured you have a really tough unit. I chose a steel wheel paint to give an authentic base coat to the engine.

ebay 091.jpg

ebay 094.jpg

The supplied pushrods are bent to shape and shortened. the length of brass tubing is cut into 18 pieces - these will become the cam followers.

ebay 092.jpg

ebay 093.jpg

Next its out with the drill - when you count the pilot holes followed by opening them up to size..you end up drilling an incredible 156 holes!!!

ebay 095.jpg

In these holes you insert bolts and copper nuts..

The bent push rods have the copper tube piece slid onto them - these slide down into bigger holes and give an impression of cam followers.

This really makes the unit start to look like an engine....

ebay 097.jpg

Only one problem...Its too bloomin clean! - these engines were a "total loss oil system".i.e. oil flowed through the engine to lubricate the moving parts - unlike modern engines which use a sump of oil which circulates round the engine, is cleaned by a filter and circulates again. Pilots were constantly sprayed with oil - hence the goggles and scarves which were used to wipe oil away. They had really regular bowels thanks to a healthy diet of castor!

To simulate the look of a well used rotary, I first hung the engine up - this is to allow me to create the look of an engine that has been used and allowed to simply drip dry time and time again.

I'm trying for a well used glow engine look - but with 9 cylinders!

ebay 099.jpg

Lots of layers of well thinned antique pine varnish were applied..

ebay 100.jpg

I'm pleased with the finished effect - the varnish has pooled nicely around nuts and joints creating a well used patina.

ebay 101.jpg

Thats all for now - I promise I wont leave it too long before the next installment!

Jez