Mick Reeves 1/3rd Scale Pup

Posted by Andy Fracica on 03/10/2014 22:46:23:

Jez,

What engine are you using on your Pup?

Andy

A zenoah 38 with side mounted Toni Clarke reduction drive - we've tried a few engines in these - direct 62's, 80 twins etc but nothing flies them as well as the 38/gearbox combi.

Plus you get the added advantage of a 32" prop which is spot on for scale.

Cheers for the pictures Andy - they are great!

Jez

Edited By Jez Harris 1 on 04/10/2014 08:41:00

Posted by Danny Fenton on 04/10/2014 00:39:41:

You really have done an awesome job on this model Jez, well done. Can't wait to see it in person Ready in time for Ashbourne or perhaps Gaydon?

Cheers

Danny

I'm taking it to Old Warden tomorrow for static, but it goes into the museum display then until April 2016..

It will be the worlds longest break between building and test flight.

Jez

Posted by john stones 1 on 15/09/2014 13:51:42:

I know you are pushed for time Jez, but later on could you show us how you fitted the rivets ?

John

Sorry John - forgot to respond to this..

The rivets were easy to fit - img_20140913_120526.jpg

As you see in the pics, they have a spiral finish, so I cut them to the required length then simply drilled a slightly undersize hole, coaxed the rivets into place with a small hammer and epoxied them in - I warmed the cowling with a blowlamp to get the epoxy to flow. Its ended up rock solid and quite tidy.

Jez

• 4 weeks later...

So -- - This evening saw the penultimate stage of the process - Hanging the pup in its temporary display position in the World War 1 Exhibition..

Its being displayed in a large performimg arts centre - its hanging from a ceiling just below balcony level so its viewable from beneath from the floor and from above..

The first challenge was the height - 7 metres...Luckily experts were on hand - riggers from the Arts centre with industry experience rigging stages etc. All the beams were checked via the architects and cable sizes and bolt sizes agreed.

imag0561.jpg

The plan was simple - install eyebolts through the beams, attach 3mm cables to which the a/c will be attached, We decided to raise the a/c into place using ropes running through the eyebolts enabling us to winch it into position before attaching it to the cables..

With three of us pulling gently on the ropes the a/c was raised really quickly into its new home..

imag0562.jpgimag0569_burst002_cover.jpg

I think it looks ace!

imag0566.jpg

And the last few..

imag0570.jpg

imag0572.jpg

imag0574.jpg

imag0577.jpg

imag0578(1).jpg

And there we go..

11 months from start to finish and approx 600 hrs work.

Leaving it was a bit like giving up a child for adoption..I really wanted to unhook it and run off home with it!

The final bit will be getting it back Spring of 2016 and putting it in the real sky!

Thank you all for all the inspiration and support.

I'll carry on now with the 1/4 scale Fokker Dviii I started 3 weeks ago - Anyone interested in pics of that?

Jez

Edited By Jez Harris 1 on 30/10/2014 21:45:14

Edited By Jez Harris 1 on 30/10/2014 21:46:11

Fantastic achievement there Jez.

It's a lovely model, doing a very worthwhile job - hopefully the sight of it on a regular basis will provide a subconscious reminder of WW1 in general and the part played by aircraft in WW1 in particular for all the young people that see it .

You must be well chuffed!

Alan