Mick Reeves 1/3rd Scale Pup

Thanks Danny.

This is my first Mick Reeves build and you're right..Its an absolute pleasure.

The basic building is really straightforward - like any any other really well done laser cut kit.

All the metalwork develops new skills and really stretches the ability.

Anyway - got a few more hours in today - in fact I've been on it for about 10 hours! - This includes a quick trip to B&Q cos my Dremmel finally blew up..Over the last couple of weeks the sliding switch which usually gives a smooth transition from slow to 30,ooo rpm stopped working and became "ON" or "OFF".

I got through quite a lot of sanding drums as they exploded at full revs..

Today the enevitable happened and the motor let the magic smoke out..Still its about 4 yrs old and has been abused. B&Q have them on offet too so not too bad.

Anyway it was time to clad the undercarriage.

The cladding is shown on the plans as balsa, but the kit came with spruce so it took ages to sand them to the right profile using the homemade leccy bench sander.

The spruce seemed to be a weird composite of wood and metal - proper hard it was!

When finished the cladding was epoxied in place.

mr pup build 003.jpg

When dry, the groove where the metal legs lie, were filled with car body filler then sanding as smooth as possible.

mr pup build 004.jpg

The Pup undercarriage is made from profiled metal tubing, so I need to get the wood as smooth as possible. I could have used glasscloth and resin, but I wanted to try something else first.

I cracked open a tin of sanding sealer and applied 3 coats - sanding down with 600 grit in between coats. I was left with a very smooth, glasslike surface so went ahead with a coat of primer. Looks great!

mr pup build 005.jpg

The sanding of the spruce earlier created a lovely pile of sawdust - This will be saved as later in the build I have to cut grooves into the 4 main struts to allow the fitting of the attachment brackets- the sawdust will be mixed with glue to use as a filler.

mr pup build 001.jpg

Whilst waiting for various glues and paints to dry I also knocked this up today - This bar goes across th efus just in front of the cockpit and allows for the fitting of the Vickers gun. I just used brass tubing and brass sheet silver soldered together.

mr pup build 002.jpg

2012-10-20_00038.jpg

The final job was to remove the centre section ready for covering, and to prepare the central struts ready for staining/varnishing.

mr pup build 006.jpg

Edited By Jez Harris 1 on 09/02/2014 20:08:26

Edited By Jez Harris 1 on 09/02/2014 20:10:45

OK - as I get further in, some things need doing in order to work out exactly where other things need to be placed..

For example - I made the mount for the rear of the vickers gun. I now need to know exactly where I need to cut holes in various panels for the bullet feed etc.

So I need to build the gun.

The kit comes with a gun, which like the dummy engine and wheels are mainly nade from vac formed plastic...This is what you get.

mr pup build 007.jpg

Now it looks ok, but needs to be cut out carefully - I trimmed the bits to within a comfortable distance then used a flat sanding board to remove the rest.

Next up you make a little frame that these bits glue onto

mr pup build 008.jpg

After much swearing, fiddling and coercing I arrived at this.

I hate it...Its flimsy, its bent, and it looks terrible! You can just about make out how the barrel gets narower in the middle..

mr pup build 012.jpg

Arizona models do some gun kits, but they are quite dear and only sold n pairs. So stuff it, I'll make my own.

Step one - remove the wooden frame from the old gun.mr pup build 013.jpg

Step 2 - find a suitable tube - I tried kitchen roll tubes, the tube from the middle of solartex - all too narrow. I eventually found this one..Spot on!!

mr pup build 014.jpg

Do you know how chuffin hard it is to roll cling film from one tube to another - especially when its a jumbo roll?

Mrs H isnt going to be happy.....

mr pup build 015.jpg

So - first thing was to wrap a sheet of plain paper round the cardboard to cover the spiral pattern otherwise it will be very visible or require filling with err..filler!

mr pup build 019.jpg

Next a couple of discs were cut for each end - only rough as they will be sanded to final shape when fitted to the tube.

mr pup build 017.jpg

Next I drew round the end of the tube and marked 16 points - one for each flute on the barrel.

mr pup build 020.jpg

These were then transfered to the barrel

mr pup build 021.jpg

The front end cap has cut outs and the end of the barrel protudes from it - the thick part of the barrel is the cooling jacket.

I managed to find a couple of washers to act as templates

mr pup build 032.jpg

i could then mark out the bits needing removing.mr pup build 033.jpg

I then spent a few mins cuting some balsa strips to identical lengths.

mr pup build 034.jpg

These were then glued to the barrel using the pre-marked points to locate them. I left a gap at either end which will become the ends of the barrel

mr pup build 035.jpg

When all dry I sanded the barrel round first of all, then ran a round file between each pair of balsa strips to round then inside edges down a bit.

mr pup build 039.jpg

Next off I cut a few strips of paper...

mr pup build 040.jpg

these are wrapped around each end to gradually build up to the level of the strips.

mr pup build 041.jpg

When done, I gave the paper a liberal soaking with thin cyano to harden it.

You can see here that I have also cut the pieces out of the end caps to simulate a proper barrel/jacket.

mr pup build 044.jpg

Then a quick rummage to find a narrow diameter tube for the actual barrel the bullets come out of.. I find a length of rubber tubing that will do... a small washer also adds some detail.

mr pup build 045.jpg

So now to the other end of the gun..

Im going to use a bit of this - cardboard from folders..

mr pup build 016.jpg

First off I used the woodwork I sa;vaged from the original gun as its the right size. I clad it first of all in liteply then built the top up with some balsa.

mr pup build 049.jpg

Then I cut a couple of card laminates out - I'm using this so I dont end up having any wood grain showing - its also very easy to work with.

mr pup build 050.jpg

Then a couple of detail bits - some trim..

mr pup build 051.jpg

A small piece of brass tubing with 2 grooves in to simulate a hinge.

mr pup build 052.jpg

Some of the detail on the end plate - you can also see where I have made the overhang that allows pilots to lift thetop plate and clear blockages etc.

mr pup build 054.jpg

A side view of where I have got to so far..

mr pup build 053.jpg

And a quick put-together shot..

What do you think so far? - this is about 4 hours work - quicker and cheaper than ordering a new one!

mr pup build 055.jpg

Edited By Jez Harris 1 on 10/02/2014 22:45:10

Thanks Tim,

Yeah - I've used both the BUSA kits and the AZM ones before - both with decent results.

I hope this shows that you dont have to spend £24 - £50 plus postage to do the same with bits from your scrap box..

Still got to add all the mechanisms and in this case the padded windscreen which also forms part of the gun.

Need to order some more buttons and leatherette ...unless I can find an old shirt and maybe an overly generous cow?..

Jez

Work got in the way this week so not to much more done -

Firstly the gun..

I need to make a couple of bits of the mechanism - I'll start with the end of the handle - This is a photo of the computer screen as I use it for reference..

mr pup build 061.jpg

First off - a piece of dowel in the drill..

mr pup build 057.jpg

Just a couple of minutes with a file..

mr pup build 059.jpg

Gets me to this stage..

mr pup build 062.jpg

Chopped off..

mr pup build 063.jpg

Back to the mechanism - I simply used plastic pieces, a few dressmaking pins and some small screws..

mr pup build 069.jpg

A quick coat of matt black..

mr pup build 073.jpg

Then its out with a weathering kit..

mr pup build 074.jpg

these are relatively cheap sets of stuff that resembles make up - I've had this for a few years as they dont get much use..In this kit you get a rust powder, a graphite powder that turns flat black into gun metal and a silver.

mr pup build 075.jpg

A quick dusting, rubbing and buffing and you end up with this..

mr pup build 077.jpg

mr pup build 078.jpg

mr pup build 079.jpg

mr pup build 080.jpg

Edited By Jez Harris 1 on 15/02/2014 12:27:19

Next a bit of work on the cabane struts.

THe process of installing the metalwork involves cutting a slit right through the top and bottom of each strut and glueing the metalwork in place. This leaves a slit in each strut end..

mr pup build 065.jpg

I had earlier saved the sawdust from sanding some other spruce..

mr pup build 001.jpg

I mixed some of this with wood glue and pressed it into the cuts.

mr pup build 066.jpg

When sanded down you get a surface that will accept stains/varnish with much less colour change than just using filler.

mr pup build 072.jpg

Edited By Jez Harris 1 on 15/02/2014 12:55:59

Time for a bit of covering - the centre section.

First off stick Bob and Zara under the workbench out the way..

mr pup build 001.jpg

Heater on - check - iron on ....check...off we go..

I absolutely love covering models - woodwork turns into recognisable bit of aircraft..I love using solartex too...so satisfying

mr pup build 004.jpg

There is quite an undercamber on these wings so I had to go easy with the heat..

mr pup build 005.jpg

Out with the needle and thread again..

mr pup build 007.jpg

To make the rib tapes I alwaysjust tear the solartex - it goes a slightly rough edge - cutting it leaves too straight an edge.

mr pup build 008.jpg

Burnt fingers time! To get the best result I find it necessary to heat the rib tapes bit at a time and really work it down using my fingers.

mr pup build 009.jpg

Finally all stitches and rib tapes in place. This actually took about almost 5 hrs to do - I think the wings are going to take a good 3-4 weeks of tinkering time to complete!

mr pup build 010.jpg

Edited By Jez Harris 1 on 16/02/2014 20:26:30

Next up I want to re-create the aileron linkage window, The full size looked like this.

img_5249.jpg

So a quick rummage in the recycling box found a lemonade bottle. - perfect source of clear acetate type material.

mr pup build 011.jpg

In goes one of the lithoplate surrounds I made earlier, and in slides a bit of the clear plastic..

mr pup build 013.jpg

So, barring paint, the centre section is done.

mr pup build 014.jpg

While I had the iron out, I took the opportunity to re-cover the rudder.

mr pup build 015.jpg

Its a couple of things ticked off the list, but the list is getting bigger and bigger!

Jez

Blimey - Cant believe its been over a week since I last updated the thread.

I've been doing a fair bit - I usually manage 2hours a night plus a good chunk of Sunday - however the stuff I have been doing hasnt ben major items worth documenting.

Here's a quick rundown of bits completed..

First off I made the rear mount for the guns and painted it.

mr pup build 005.jpg

Next up - the ammo feed chute - this is simply made from off cuts of 1/16th birch lite ply. The edges are again done with strips of paper and the rivets are glue dots.

mr pup build 006.jpg

then it was time to make some of the bracing wires for the tailplane.

In the kit you get 2 types of fork end - a threaded one and a non-threaded one - you solder one of each to the end of the rigging wire - you can then actually rotate the rigging wire to tighten it.

mr pup build 003.jpg

The wire is silver soldered to the end of the screw and then ground to profile.

The only downside is you only get about 7-8mm of adjustment so you need to be pretty accurate when cutting the rigging wire.

mr pup build 001.jpg

the tailplane needs 8 wires.

mr pup build 014.jpg