Phoenix update

Glenn Stratton

Posted by Gordon Brown 1 on 18/02/2014 14:37:31:
Posted by Dave Bran on 18/02/2014 14:16:56:
Posted by john melia 1 on 18/02/2014 13:56:58:
Posted by Mike Smith on 18/02/2014 13:19:03:

I've just spent 5 minutes trying to take-off inverted with the Hawk Trainer after it "crashed" upside down and wasn't detected by Phoenix! angry

I think I will contact Phoenix and see if they have a "downgrade" path for this program! U

Uninstall it reinstall , and dont choose to upgrade .

Not a route you can take if you have come from an early version.

Edited By Dave Bran on 18/02/2014 14:17:28

Uninstall v5, install your original version (mine was v3) and then upgrade to v4, very simple quite quick. You dont have to upgrade all the way to v5.

As I have said, NOT a viable option if you have come from an early version (pre v3)

Posted by Dave Bran on 18/02/2014 14:20:18:
Posted by Ian Jones on 18/02/2014 12:40:40:

In addition to the above problems I tried one of the custom landscapes ("PILIS"?) and achieved something I've rarely seen on this computer in the last 6 years - blue screen of death! My computer has been so stable that only corrupted software has ever crashed it before.

Well, if it was Pilis_Hungary, I cannot get it to reproduce your crash, with what model?

That was the one Dave... the model, hmm, not sure quite possibly the RV8.

By the way just been landing and taking-off with the Hawk jet. So what eh? Well it was on water. Actually it can be dived under water then rise again for a take-off, inverted or even knife edged! Novel but not good.

Posted by Mike Smith on 18/02/2014 14:42:40:

It's quite astonishing really... almost as if they accidentally released the wrong version... must be completely untested as I discovered sooo many issues within just the first few minutes of trying it. None of the issues I've encountered in v5 were present in v4.

Exactly, it has clearly never been anywhere near a "user", even one with only half a brain cell to offer,.

Posted by Dave Bran on 18/02/2014 14:45:58:
Posted by Gordon Brown 1 on 18/02/2014 14:37:31:
Posted by Dave Bran on 18/02/2014 14:16:56:
Posted by john melia 1 on 18/02/2014 13:56:58:
Posted by Mike Smith on 18/02/2014 13:19:03:

I've just spent 5 minutes trying to take-off inverted with the Hawk Trainer after it "crashed" upside down and wasn't detected by Phoenix! angry

I think I will contact Phoenix and see if they have a "downgrade" path for this program! U

Uninstall it reinstall , and dont choose to upgrade .

Not a route you can take if you have come from an early version.

Edited By Dave Bran on 18/02/2014 14:17:28

Uninstall v5, install your original version (mine was v3) and then upgrade to v4, very simple quite quick. You dont have to upgrade all the way to v5.

As I have said, NOT a viable option if you have come from an early version (pre v3)

I assume you have the cable, I've found other flyers more than willing to lend out a disk so you can install v3 then upgrade. I'll copy mine for you if you like.

Patch my backside. Any patch will need to be as big as my backside if its to tackle even a small percentage of the problems.

Did I read someone's (un-answered) query about Phoenix changing hands, recently? If this is true it may go some way to explain why a truly great product has been turned into dross. If a new management is only bent on short-sightedly making a fast buck instead of concentrating on quality then this is the kind of thing that can happen.

Can I ask, again, does anyone know if a System Restore will return me to version 4, variants and all?

Ian.

Latest RSS from Phoenix:

Version 5.0.b New features, improvements and fixes: - Fixed various multiplayer-related program crashes and visual problems - Pilot names now show in multiplayer-mode - Flight information screen now shows throttle correctly - Setup Wheel now correctly creates a new variant - Wind compass now displays correctly - Fixed an issue with excessive Dihedral on some airplane models - Tweaked parameters on many models - Turbine models now emit Display Smoke and take longer to spool up - This update should now be available from your Phoenix V5 launcher if you have V5.0a or above installed.

Sorry Ian... can't answer your question about system restore and don't know if Phoenix has changed hands, but I note that it's a registered trademark of Runtime Games Ltd.

I've just upgraded to 5.0.b so will see how it goes!

Well... yes, they've addressed some of the issues, but it still doesn't have the same feel as V4 for me. I'd wait a while and see if they release further patches over the coming days. I'm still having trouble getting it to detect when the model crashes... seems particularly bad with the Hawk. The F-18 Hornet (turbine) is now well underpowered and struggles to get airborne! The Fokker DR1 still takes off from static and can go vertical! I'm sure you can tweak some of this but as an earlier poster said... these things should be set up as you would expect the real models to be.

I'd encourage everyone to notify Phoenix of their specific issues as they do seem to be responsive to this.

As I said, patch my backside. I've just downloaded the patch and, well, get this - I dialled in Fair Wind and landed the Funcub into wind and throttled down. The Funcub began to move backwards, as expected, blown by the wind. But then it picked up speed until it seemed to be doing about 150 mph, backwards, and then crashed.

From what people here, and in the other place, have said its obvious that they haven't modified the existing programme but have started from scratch and built in heaven knows how many more bugs, yet to be discovered.

Absolutely laughable.

I shall try a System Restore.

Ian

System Restore hasn't done it for me. The programme start-up screen shows the version 5 logo, but underneath it says that its version 4q. However, when the programme opens I get a message saying I need to set up the controller. From there, almost any choice I make from the menu bar crashes the programme and I get an "error running script" message.

Really fed up, Ian.

Edited By IanR on 18/02/2014 19:46:40

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 18/02/2014 21:04:00

Posted by IanR on 18/02/2014 19:45:42:

System Restore hasn't done it for me. The programme start-up screen shows the version 5 logo, but underneath it says that its version 4q. However, when the programme opens I get a message saying I need to set up the controller. From there, almost any choice I make from the menu bar crashes the programme and I get an "error running script" message.

Really fed up, Ian.

Edited By IanR on 18/02/2014 19:46:40

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 18/02/2014 21:04:00

System restore is to restore "the system" that makes your computer work, that is the operating system, including the registry. Since programs store settings in the registry then you may well be finding that the settings stored in the registry no longer match the program version you have installed.

So, you start phoenix which is version 5, it then looks for settings in the registry (which has been restored to an earlier version) and gets settings related to V4q. However since V5 & V4 will have some different files then the files listed in the registry will be incorrect and the program fails to run.

I hope I kept that straight forward. In short reverse the restore and if you want to uninstall then do so via the start menu - phoenix - uninstall route.

Hope that's helps