Phoenix update

Glenn Stratton

I've gave up on V5 last night and have reverted to V4. It's just not good enough to put out new software in this condition, even if it is free to existing customers! At the very least, it should be as good as the previous version, otherwise what's the point?

Aside from the fact that the models are set up all wrong, there are some fundamental backwards steps in the new version.

I see that they're already onto version 5.0.c and it's only been out a few days! Maybe they don't have a test team and are relying on us mugs to find all the flaws...

And now we get to the water planes, Oh Dear Oh Dear Oh Dear!!

Beaver Floatplane, Lakeside

Behaves like ice, not water, virtually NO resistance, skids on and on and on, can even be turned sideways and even the side of the floats does not induce any drag!!

Default start position on this scenery spins the plane away from the bank!!

A little light falls.............. Re: regaining user graphics schemes, early today I tested for some time and v5.0c does allow user schemes to be added and used.

They have to be placed in your My Documents folder (wherever that may be depending on "Windose" variant, then PhoenixRC\Downloaded\Schemes.

Windose 7 in full is therefore C:\Users\"your computer account user name"\Documents\PhoenixRC\Downloaded\Schemes

Sadly, no good obviously if 5.0a wiped them for you and you don't have backup!

John

I have the same problem I was just looking at it didn't change a thing and the plane is well out, Changed to the spitfire and changed weather to FAIR 8mph winds and the plane is jumping and being blown backwards. Had enough going back to V4 until all this is sorted Too many problems.

I see that most people who are deciding not to upgrade to V5 at the moment have said they are staying with V4q.

Just before the V5 update was announced, I updated to V4r !. Has anyone else got V4r, as I notice that the downloads on the website stop at V4q, and V4r isn't even mentioned. If so, do you know what that update included over V4q ?

Steve (confused)

v4r was a facilitation update in prep for v5.0a............. Bad that this was not indicated as I supect it freaked a few people expecting to be loading v5.0a when it suddenly said v4.0r!!

No v5.0d update yet, which they thought might be Friday.............

For the record............I won't list full detail here, but I have just put yet another list of bugs I have found inside 5.0c back to Support as I drill down into the program operation, seven more in this one mail, and that is the sixth EMail from me to them for 5.0c alone.

Arguably the most significant is that with a 6 channel Futaba 6EX Tx, Channel 5 is usually set for Plane Gear or Heli Idle Up, and 6 for Plane Flap or Heli Throttle Hold, but in 5.0c BOTH are active at once regardless of model type in use. So, as default, apply flap and lose throttle, retract gear and get a locked full throttle, i.e. Plane and Heli model settings overlay incorrectly.

On V5c, just had a good session landing a hawk on water, full throttle and down elevator to submerge then taking off from below the surface. All jets seems to this, prop driven seem to crash even on dead stick.

Landing a sopwith camel is now easy, is that good or bad?

I think V5 is now smoother. Tweaking settings is very different but I have had some pleasing results.

A devils advocate question... had many of us created our own versions of many models in V4 that either suited us better or perhaps were more realistic and now we have lost those in V5 we only think V5 is poor?

As a relative newbie, I guess I just trusted v4... it certainly seems about right for most of the models. After all, many users of any simulator are going to be new to the hobby so will expect the models to be set up right... they won't have the necessary experience to set them up themselves. I certainly hadn't tweaked any models (other than the smoke colour) as I expected them to be set up as the real models would be.

For sure, v5 was obviously poor when released, even to my novice eye. As well as the fundamentals, even some of the nice touches in v4 are missing in v5 - for example, when tweaking a model, you used to get a nice animated (rotating) view of the model - it is now static. And as someone else observed, the scale wizard has disappeared.

I'm still back on v4 until things improve, but note that v5.0.e has been released today.

Let us know how you get on Ian I haven't bothered updating to 5 yet but I will as soon as its reasonable.
I haven't any real flight experience so no way I can adjust models without the input of others.
If the online sessions are going to be V5 I would have to update anyway smiley

Not crashing on water etc doesn't bother me as I understand I would have crashed cheeky

Edited By RichFR on 23/02/2014 16:41:18

Hmm well it's nice to have wheel brakes back.

I think V5 sound is generally better

Gear up and down display in flight info still doesn't work and still no flaps display.

Bomb drop and balloon targets are still all over the place though.

My conclusion, still a long way to go

Edited By Ian Jones on 23/02/2014 16:53:48