Phoenix update

Glenn Stratton

Yes, I keep getting thrown off part way so have given up.

VERY bad control over this update then, as "Server Demand" should never be a reason for engaged in process downloads to be aborted, the server should be set up to only accept the downloads it can deal adequately with!

Hope someone on their IT dept gets skinned.......................face 12

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 17/02/2014 18:59:51

Posted by Dave Bran on 17/02/2014 21:52:06:

Have now sucessfully downloaded it and got it running.

Like Creator, "Builder" is standalone, not integrated, so don't look in menus, its in the windows program list and a desktop icon.

As to converting old schemes, etc....................the info may be there, but its not obvious!! face 12

Are the physics any better ?

Hi Monz, I was hoping that someone more experienced would reply to your query!

I brought it just before Christmas for the same price, I'm impressed but then again this is my first sim! I have no regrets about forking out the fifty notes, lots of features, you can adjust the models sizes & characteristics, use your local weather or customise it. Lots of other bits that I've not explored yet!

My opinion is yes, it's worth it!

Finally managed to update this morning!!

From my initial tests, I'm not convinced it's a step forward. Flying my fave model (Hawk Trainer), it seems to behave very strangely compared to V4. First thing I noticed is that the throttle response on take off is much more immediate and, whilst I've never flown a real turbine jet, I'm not sure it's as realistic as it used to be in the previous version. Then, unless I'm being particularly thick, there doesn't appear to be any smoke option for this model anymore. However, most significantly, if you try to do continuous loops with this model, it seems to take on a mind of its own and spirals all over the place... I know my flying skills are still at "novice" level, but even I could do clean loop in version 4!! It seems to also have quite a strong tendency to self level compared to the previous version.

Has anyone else managed to upgrade and try this yet?

I have just posted this on RC Groups as I just happened to be there:-

Loaded and running. I don't seem to have any of the problems mentioned above and I get the feeling that the simulator is running the way that the programmers intended.

However, a BIG PROBLEM in my opinion is the way the models are set up, "out of the box" so to speak. For instance, thrust/power - all of the models I have tried have unlimited vertical capability. The Parkzone T28 just keeps going straight up and up. Really?

Also, most of the models I have tried have a very strong self-righting component - something I didn't always get with, say, the Parkzone T28, again, in version 4.

My point is this - its no good Phoenix saying "you can alter the flight characteristics in the edit menu until it feels right"
One of the MAIN POINTS about the sim is that it should replicate the actual model's behaviour. ie the simulator should be SHOWING ME, REALISTICALLY, how a model will fly if I go out and buy it. Obviously, with the vast majority of models, I DON'T KNOW WHAT FEELS RIGHT BECAUSE I HAVE NEVER FLOWN ONE. The simulator should not be waiting for me to alter the model's parameters so that it becomes more realistic. Sure, I should be able to alter the model's control throws so that it rolls more, or less, quickly. But unlimited vertical - that would require me to fit a more powerful power-train ie the model is not flying "out of the box".

I feel sure that Horizon Hobby were not shown version 5 before it was released, otherwise they would surely have stopped it.

I have both Phoenix and Realflight 6.5 and, until now, have hardly ever used Realflight because it seems somehow clunky in comparison. But version 5, frankly, is just not good enough.

In my opinion, apart from the obvious bugs mentioned by others, even a "properly" working version 5 will need an awful lot of work by the programmers before it starts doing its job properly.

Ian

PS can someone please answer the question posed, above? Will System Restore get me back to version 4? (with all my previous variants which have now disappeared)
PPS apologies for the caps but I'm hoping Phoenix may read this and I would like them to get the message.