Phoenix update

Glenn Stratton

Well I stayed up into the early hours to download V5 and I am now in the situation of having lost those hours for what seems to be a waste!

All the above comments are true.

I also find that a lot of models have a tenancy to roll gently to the left after take off with no input from the Tx.

To be sure, I recalibrated my Tx but no change.

Throttle response is COMPLETELY unrealistic.

Jet models with no smoke option!

Wheel Brake not working!

and worst of all....... They have got rid of the scale wizard! WTH!! It was the best part of the Sim!!!

I'm beginning to wonder if Phoenix are connected to Microsoft who always state their upgrades are The Best Thing Since Sliced Bread, only to need so many error and bug fixes within the first few weeks!!

In my opinion, I would recommend people NOT to upgrade to V5 for a few months until its been sorted out!

Oh, and don't even get me started on the fact that going into online mode - It cant find he Master Server!!

Dave

SK14 Grumpy Phoenix User Dept.

Looks like they have a rubber stamp for support queries. I just sent them an email making suggestions as to how they could improve the update process, and pointing out that Aerofly RC may get a few new customers as a result of the problems - and got exactly the same response as John.

Oh well - you try to help.

Now to try again for the 6th time this morning!

Well I've just spent a frustrating hour and a half trying to upgrade to version 5, only for the download to fail.

From what I read now, it looks like that may have been a blessing in disguise. I'll now stick with version 4, and also my new copy of Aerofly7, which quite honestly is looking like a far nicer option.

Well done, John. I look forward to hearing their response but I don't suppose it will be what I, and perhaps you, want to hear. I can't help thinking that Phoenix lost their way when they began introducing chase views and in-cockpit views and so on. What on earth has that got to do with Radio Control?

I think they reckon they need to keep up with "the competition" to maintain/increase sales. But if this means that they have to instruct their programmers to produce new (useless) interfaces and computer-produced "terrains" etc instead of concentrating on producing the most realistic radio control simulator, they're making a mistake. There are enough top quality full size flight sims out there, already.

If they would only concentrate on producing the most realistic radio control flight simulator, together with frequent new models, and forget about "gimmicks", I'm sure they would have a world beater on their hands. As it is, I think they are getting it very wrong.

Ian

Loaded and working to one of two PCs side by side.

FIRST issue as far as I'm concerned, ALL my (many) schemes have disappeared, there is NO info on this happening before you load, NO help with conversion from v4 to v5, NIX.............

Copy of part mail sent to them:-

2. "What on earth have you done on Schemes????? I'm appalled with what has happened here!! You have upped and shot some of your main supporters, the people who have for no financial gain helped the program grow for you by providing freeware schemes to enhance the prog and retain users interest in it.

a) Where exactly have you placed all existing model schemes? Where is the information to tell you this?

b) Where is the information as to what to do to regain them? It isn't on your website. It isn't in the Builder Manual. Its not at all obvious to a newcomer to the prog within Builder.

I elected to take the extra download of the tutorial videos, but where your install placed these and what they cover is not clear, do they cover this or are they only flying tutorials?

Have already had friends asking when I'll reissue schemes they have been using for years. I have talked to so far a couple of other scheme creators, they are similarly upset, though some have as yet not even managed to get v5 downloaded.

GETTING SCHEMES FROM v4 into v5 ....................... Where, and How?

3. The Builder Manual/User Guide is no such thing, at best its an unfinished technical readme. Its not page numbered nor page breaked to sections, its not indexed or contents listed. I won't as yet comment on content, but since it appears to have NO help with my first task, regaining all my schemes, its hardly adequate, is it? Where are the "first steps"??"

My advice is NOT to "update". I agree totally that when it added chase plane and cockpit views it ceased to be the program I thought it was, but this level of blatantly obvious issues is something else.

Sadly, as I was a Beta Tester for a previous update, I have to say this looks distinctly like it has not been anywhere near a "user" till issue!!!

On the basis of what has been reported here (thanks to the early adopters!) I am quite happy not to upgrade and to remain with v4.

Can I tap into the experience of those who have upgraded and ask how I avoid the upgrade process please?

Am I correct to assume that the next time I open the program I will be offered the choice to upgrade? If that's the case is it easy to avoid the upgrade or is it configured to lead you into "seamlessly" in to the upgrade process almost without realising?

Thanks

Edited By avtur on 18/02/2014 12:20:29

Posted by IanR on 18/02/2014 12:03:59:

Essjay, how do you find Aerofly7, in comparison with Phoenix version 4? Would you say it is more, or less, realistic?

Ian

Ian, I've always found all of the versions of Aerofly to have better fixed wing physics than Phoenix, and Aerofly 7 justs builds on that. Don't get me wrong, I still like Phoenix, and I believe the heli physics are better on Phoenix. I am led to believe that a lot of the design work in Phoenix is indeed done by experienced heli pilots which probably explains it.

I sincerely hope they can iron out these bugs with Phoenix 5 quickly, as I really think they have a great product.

Steve

Posted by avtur on 18/02/2014 12:19:50:

On the basis of what has been reported here (thanks to the early adopters!) I am quite happy not to upgrade and to remain with v4.

Can I tap into the experience of those who have upgraded and ask how I avoid the upgrade process please?

Am I correct to assume that the next time I open the program I will be offered the choice to upgrade? If that's the case is it easy to avoid the upgrade or is it configured to lead you into "seamlessly" in to the upgrade process almost without realising?

Thanks

Edited By avtur on 18/02/2014 12:20:29

It offers update, then becomes a dedicated menu line under "System".

Finally downloaded and installed before I read this lot, unfortunately.

Not impressed.

In addition to the above problems I tried one of the custom landscapes ("PILIS"?) and achieved something I've rarely seen on this computer in the last 6 years - blue screen of death! My computer has been so stable that only corrupted software has ever crashed it before.

Flaps as well, I had % flaps on screen before, as far as I can see that options has gone and I found it so useful. Don't think much of the wind compass either, the only other onscreen display I used.

Could be the end of beautiful relationship

Thanks, Essjay. As I am purely a fixed wing person, that is most interesting. I eventually succumbed and bought Realflight 6.5 a while back and must say I wasn't impressed when comparing it to Phoenix. It just seems a bit clunky and without the finesse which I think that Phoenix has. I'll take a look at Aerofly 7.

Ian

NUMEROUS Program crashes later (year old state of the art then desktop replacement laptop) Not had BSD but its not at all stable, whereas v4 was .

Parkzone Trojan, do a "B" key model position reset on the default "Flying Field" and it instantly and repeatedly springs into the air and destroys itself. Get it in the air and it is TOTALLY unrealistic to the model (one of which I inherited a while ago and know well). Leave this for a few times and the program crashes.

Background graphic of wind compass is missing (blank white square!!)

Posted by Mike Smith on 18/02/2014 13:19:03:

I've just spent 5 minutes trying to take-off inverted with the Hawk Trainer after it "crashed" upside down and wasn't detected by Phoenix! angry

I think I will contact Phoenix and see if they have a "downgrade" path for this program! U

Uninstall it reinstall , and dont choose to upgrade .

Posted by john melia 1 on 18/02/2014 13:56:58:

I've just spent 5 minutes trying to take-off inverted with the Hawk Trainer after it "crashed" upside down and wasn't detected by Phoenix! angry

I think I will contact Phoenix and see if they have a "downgrade" path for this program! U

Not a route you can take if you have come from an early version.

Edited By Dave Bran on 18/02/2014 14:17:28

Posted by Ian Jones on 18/02/2014 12:40:40:

In addition to the above problems I tried one of the custom landscapes ("PILIS"?) and achieved something I've rarely seen on this computer in the last 6 years - blue screen of death! My computer has been so stable that only corrupted software has ever crashed it before.

Well, if it was Pilis_Hungary, I cannot get it to reproduce your crash, with what model?

Posted by Dave Bran on 18/02/2014 14:16:56:
Posted by john melia 1 on 18/02/2014 13:56:58:

Not a route you can take if you have come from an early version.

Edited By Dave Bran on 18/02/2014 14:17:28

Uninstall v5, install your original version (mine was v3) and then upgrade to v4, very simple quite quick. You dont have to upgrade all the way to v5.

This is quite possibly the worst upgrade Ive ever seen of any program, it is completely dire, none of the models work correctly, they all seem to be fitted with stabilisation or have massive dihedral. Last time I flew an aerobatis plane it didn't automatically return to level flight when the sticks are released. I've emailed Phoenix support but in the interim I've gone back to v4.

It's quite astonishing really... almost as if they accidentally released the wrong version... must be completely untested as I discovered sooo many issues within just the first few minutes of trying it. None of the issues I've encountered in v5 were present in v4.

I've emailed them too... will be interesting to see what they can do to redeem themselves.