Swan Morton Blades

Erfolg

KC, I know what you mean. But I have possibly used my blades for to long, Having being brought up using double edged Gillette blue razor blades, even a blunt Swann Morton blade is a luxury.

However, as many pundits suggest, you really do benefit from a new blade when cutting film covering.

I also now use Swann Morton Blades when decorating, when cutting the wall paper against the skirting boards and the ceiling, using a straight edge to cut against/spacer. Excellent results, far better than I can ever achieve with scissors.

I do not think a box of 100 or that is actually 500 blades will last a life time, but perhaps a few years, at the rate I use them.

Advert

Well Bill those of us who used to go to the Model Eng Exhibition in years past will have seen the craftsman who demonstrated marquetry on the Art Veneers stand. He demonstrated how to sharpen a scalpel blade - he merely ground the back away on a stone to reveal a new part of the blade to form the point. Took him a few seconds using a bit of oilstone, Arkansas stone or something similar. He just did it after every few cuts, which kept the blade sharp. I dont actually think its worth doing while new blades are 10 pence each and I use a few a year, but if the world changes and blades get expensive.....

I ordered a 100 box each of No 11 & No 10a on Amazon from Richmond Medical yesterday at around 2.30. They arrived together with 2 free handles (1 per pack) in this mornings post - £6.99 per box free P&P. Handles are Swann Morton No 3, blades are Titan. Haven't tried them yet but quality looks good.

Oh Patmac, you have me up! I have not received my own yet, not due to Saturday, and I had to pay postageangry 2

I will have to remember Richmond Medical, in fact i must write out a hundred times

I must remember Richmond Medical I must remember Richmond Medical I must remember Richmond Medical I must remember Richmond Medical I must remember Richmond Medical

Its a start

• 2 years later...

Lots around, including here at my place and on the website along with various handles - my current favourite is the blue retractable one although nothing wrong with the basic handle either. I get through quite alot as they don't last long until they start to pull the wood rather than cut. You can also certainly tell the difference between cutting yourself with a brand new blade and an older blade, I've done both plenty and it's definitely not a recommended...

Doubtful to be able to beat Amazon's postage but they do fit in a kit box nicely smiley (most of the kits anyway).