Is there no limit to the depth scammers will sink to?

Shaunie

Just received an e-mail, the text is pasted below:-

Dear [email address removed] We have been sent a sample of your blood analysis for further research. During the complete blood count (CBC) we have revealed that white blood cells is very low, and unfortunately we have a suspicion of a cancer. Wite Blood cells 1200 Low Hemoglobin 12 Normal Platelets 19000 Low We suggest you to print out your CBC test results and interpretations in attachment below and visit your family doctor as soon as possible Sincerely, Dr. Avery Ernie Copyright 2013 National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. All rights reserved.

I have not had any tests done so I know it's not legit, but what about someone who is sweating on some test results? Is there no limit how low they will sink to try and phish data off your PC. There was of course the obligatory zip file attached.

Shaunie.

Advert

Yup. NICE was hacked and the spammers are sending out cynical and parasitic spam. I work within the NHS and we got warned of this today, we're putting something up on our website to warn patients. Luckily the hoards haven't descended yet on our practice..... You can tell it's a scammer, NICE is UK based and we don't call it a CBC

I had one today claiming to be HMRC saying I was due a tax refund due to an "official error".

It said dear - my email address, not my name -

We have detected that you have paid too much tax in the past, due to an official error.
Therefore HMRC applied ESC B41 to issue a repayment for tax years which are now
out of date under the strict statute.

Link to click (to probably start downloading a virus etc)

Please completely fill out the form above. Accurate information is necessary so that we
may process your request faster.

So another one to look out for, simple to spot when you know the tricks but can be quite tempting if you don't

I got one from HMRC too. Companies House was the provider of the phishing data. There is a useful list of fake HMRC adresses on the official .gov.uk site, and some useful advice on what to do should you receive a scam. What I don't understand, is how a scammer can use the same domain. I'd like to show you what I mean, but if I reproduce it on this post it will direct you to a scam site, but it starts with "alerts", followed by "@", followed by "hmrc", followed by ".gov.uk". It looks very real - but HMRC says its a fake!