An idiot's guide to building a Barnstormer

Nigel Day

Many thanks for the kind offer Cymaz, I may take you up on that!

I'm almost certainly going to sell the Junior 60 (with 4-stroke engine and 35MHz transmitter etc) as I've moved to the dark side and will learn on the Barnstormer. The Flight simulator will certainly help but at some stage I'm going to have to take the plunge and put it into the air myself. surprise

I'm sure there'll be some serious sucking in of air but I may as well learn on an electric 4-channel model as start with an IC three-channel jobby (however nice to fly, vintage and 'proper' etc).

There is a small group who fly on the edge of Bodmin Moor, near me, so I probably won't be totally alone, even if they'll only be laughing. smiley

Anyway, a quick update. The wing halves have been built and only remain to be sanded and joined.

20140810_201611.jpg

20140810_201725.jpg

I then need to fit the servo, linkages, retaining blocks and central sheeting. The ailerons need to be completed and then I can add it all together.

In the meantime, I finally have a working set of motor components. I'll do a spot of testing soon with all the bits fully connected.

Till the next time.....

Nigel, the biggest downside that I can see between learning to fly on a Barnstormer compared with a J60 is that the Barnstormer has rigidly mounted wings.

Any crash or hard landing will cause an amount of damage to the Barny that will then stop you flying until you've taken it home and repaired it.

The J60's banded on wings will either slew or come off completely in such an event and you may well find that you will be able to straighten or refit the wings and fly again (assuming no other damage).

When you are learning to fly you need all the practise you can get - give yourself the best chance of success....

Well, a titter for those following and a reminder why I entitled this blog as I did. blush

The wings haven't been sanded or trimmed yet but can anyone spot the (major) mistake with the underside of the inner part of these wings?

20140814_102309.jpg

Yes, guess who forgot to fit the forward wing fixing points? The rear ones are OK as it's open there but I'm going to have to slice into the sheeting, top and bottom, to fit the fixing points properly. Following the golfing analogy I used when Danny F did something similar to his Bistormer, I've gone into a water hazard and will have to take a drop.

I'll post a photo after I've rectified it.

Doh!

• 3 weeks later...

The first wing is nearly finished

20140902_180855.jpg

The aileron's in place, together with the linkage (although temporarily disconnected for sanding etc) and the wings practically finished. The second wing is having it's leading edge (2nd layer) fitted and will be sanded tomorrow.

I followed Mr Fenton's scheme and am using one servo with bellcranks to the ailerons.

20140902_180949.jpg

Once the sanding's complete I can join the two halves. Then I can sort out the central bit where the servo will go, connect up the whole aileron linkage and then sheet the central section.

When the wing's in one piece I'll finalise the exact position of the plywood blocks that fix the wing to the cabanes. You might remember that I'd forgotten to sort them out before sheeting the central section....

20140902_181019.jpg

I've cut a trapdoor off each a la Danny F and will glue them back on when I've sorted the blocks and fixing points out.

Until next time.....

• 1 month later...

Another month gone but I do have something to show for my troubles

20141003_083532.jpg

The servo is in, everything connected and working, the centre sheeted over, the fixing pints covered again and then the balsa round the fixing pint removed. This is so the cabane will have a firm surface to sit on.

Penultimate job with the wings is to fill and sand (notice that I didn't provide any close-ups? wink). If I remember, I'll post a picture of the wings filled and sanded to see if the doh! moment is visible on top.

Then it's cover the wing.

I'll be using the covering method to join the ailerons, fitting covering to the leading edge of the aileron and the trailing edge of the wing section first.

'Final' pictures to follow.

The best laid plans etc. Spent this morning and the first half of this afternoon helping my domestic Godess. Given time off for good behaviour at around 3 so only got the ailerons covered (but not heat shrunk) and most of the bottom half of the wing(s).

So just for Cymaz:

20141005_170913.jpg

Still hoping to get the covering finished tomorrow. blush

Wing finished and as proof:

20141007_152209.jpg

I'll post a photo of the completed beast later.

Motor, ESC etc and receiver still to be fitted - oh and motor ro be tested too. Best to do that before I put it in methinks.

I wouldn't want to set fire to the Barnstormer before even getting it into the air eh John?

Thanks Danny.

Loved just about every minute of it John. I suspect that I'm going to be a builder and very occasional flyer. But since I've never actually flown yet, who's to say?

I'm torn between converting the Junior 60 I built to electric (and pulling the nose apart) or buying a foamy trainer to learn with. I want to fly the B'stormer of course but I'd hate to lose it on my first flight. sad

I learnt a lot from this build over the Junior 60 but I'm seeing just how much more there is to learn with the Chippie project! Loved the covering bit and found that I'm quite good with the first/bottom sheet but I struggled a bit more with the wingtips on the upper sheet. Still, it looks good enough but there's room for improvement.

I also need to learn to make things truer and to keep measurements more accurate. Both of the ailerons are very slightly out of true - possibly warped (or the wing is!) - but swings freely. I'll see if it makes a difference when it gets flown.