Chip Shop

Danny Fenton

Oo-er, this is going to be tough.

I haven't even started thinking about mine so by the time you've all picked yours, I'll need spend hours on Google, in bookshops and even visiting the odd flying museum.

Ah well, as they used to say in one of my old companies, 'it's not a problem, it's a challenge'.

I've just had a thought. My wife supplied me with a pilot for my Barnstormer-to-be so I tasked her with finding a suitable colour scheme for it (the Barnstormer that is). Perhaps I can sweet-talk her into finding one for my Chippie? 

Edited By Nigel Day on 15/05/2014 15:10:17

Edited By Nigel Day on 15/05/2014 15:10:48

Advert

Classic Air Force (on my visit wish list) at Newquay, Nigel, have a nice Chipmunk. Hopefully you could get up close to it for photos.

Ex RAF WB696, now in civvy (G-APLO) colours, black with white bands on wings and fuselage, green figure 8 within white circles same places as bands and white registration. Was painted to represent the BBMF Chippie but had to be altered, roundels & fin flash painted over, because the BBMF Chippie "is still a current RAF aircraft". Has quite a history!

Have fun researching and making your final pick.

And if your up for it, if you go there, it's available for aerobatic pleasure flights! face 21

image.jpgI think this is the one I'll go for but I do have another in mind, the other option is more of a classic silver trainer scheme.

I like this one though. Painting the markings on to black could be a problem but that's a problem for another day.

I would say by the look of the aircraft, that the markings are vinyl. That could make it much easier for you to reproduce and still be scale ! What's more it's not as expensive as it used to be. Particularly if you can provide the artwork.

kevinb.

The emblem on the fin does look to be printed on vinyl, not sure about the rest. It's not based near me so I don't suppose I will get to see it up close. It has been known to come to Breighton though, which is near me, so you never know.

Well I am back from my travels, several pounds heavier and fairly knackered from the long hours. I have received funds now from 16 of the 19 people who wanted a set, so will place an order with Tina/Chris at SLEC.

Glad to see some colour scheme discussions are under way, I am sure we will end up with several in silver with either yellow or Fluro orange bands.

The wheels are: mains 77mm (3 ins) tailwheel 40mm (1.5 ins) or there abouts wink 2 And if you are into scale props 13.5 ins diameter. And the prop turns anti-clockwise when viewed from the cockpit teeth 2

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny

Thanks.. my plan, cowl and canopy and photo CD arrived today... Getting itchy fingers..

Are we going to have a tutorial on how to convert a single plastic moulded canopy into something that actually opens?

How do you get a 4 stroke to run backwards? - swap the cams perhaps to retime it?

BW

Martyn

Hi Martyn. You are right, for a four stroke to run as efficiently in the reversed direction, the valve timing needs to be reversed and this means a mirror image of the cam profiles. The same is true of front or rear rotary valve two strokes. Some engines will run in reverse, but only inefficiently and with low power. The only i/c engines that will run equally happilly in both directions are two strokes that have side-port configuration, e.g. Mills, or reed valve, e.g. Cox. I don't know if some of the petrol engines are side-port, but the only one that is small enough is front rotary valve.

So it's not easy. If I go the i/c route, I'm not going to worry about that one too much!

Due to a personal courier service (Pete B!) I now have a large pack of SLEC 'wood etc' sitting on my workshop floor waiting to be opened later today (when we get back from shopping!). This is to complement the cut parts kit/mouldings already here. So a big thank you to Pete for bringing it over here safely for me and thereby establishing his right to be regarded as an associate contributor to this project!! Almost ready to go.....................

yes.

Terry

Danny - no chance of that - got my Turbie and Oodallaly to finish and then a Seagull Pilatus B4 glider that needs a bit of alteration - particularly front fus strength. Then there's my bargain buy damaged Super Chipmunk which was to be 10 minute job! There more but they will have to wait. SWMBO wants to have a 6 week away trip Aug/Sept so I'll probably trying to catch up with you all.! blush

Terry

Yep Thx David that's great.

For the Chipateers the idea was to create your own thread and outline a bit about yourself and what you hope to get out of all this bloggery. Also perhaps a pic of the prototype you want to copy.

Of course you could just start a thread wink 2

Cheers

Danny

I know we have an October start date, which I think we are all happy with but does anybody have a projected completion date or is it, it will take as long as it takes kind of thing

I know we have some fast builders on board but personally I'm thinking a build like this will be about 12 months for me, could even be longer if rivets are involved. Not that it matters I'm happy just to tag along.