Chip Shop

Danny Fenton

Advert

Thanks to Glenn, I've sorted my colour scheme.

I'm going for the Cambridge University Air Squadron scheme on the Chippie at Newquay Air museum. It's glossy black with a few white markings. I've seen earlier comments about putting markings onto black but at least it should make the covering easier.

Posted by David Ashby - RCME on 23/05/2014 16:15:15:

Chip Shop participants now have their own forum area in the 'workshop' board so separate build thread can be added yet they'll all stay together thumbs up

I feel a looking silly moment coming on but how do I find the workshop area?

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 23/05/2014 16:16:15

Posted by Nigel Day on 25/05/2014 10:31:47:

Thanks to Glenn, I've sorted my colour scheme.

I'm going for the Cambridge University Air Squadron scheme on the Chippie at Newquay Air museum. It's glossy black with a few white markings. I've seen earlier comments about putting markings onto black but at least it should make the covering easier.

I'm considering the other black one from the BBMF flight.

Going to be a real challenge for me as not done much real building, plenty of assembling ARTF's. Looking forward to it with all this excellent guidance we'lll be getting.

The black ones should look really cool not sure my eyes would cope collected the remaining hinge fees today, a big thank you to you all for making that happen so quickly, it makes it easier for me

I am a little surprised that nobody else has created a their own blog in the workshop section to announce their intentions? I guess you are keeping your powder dry wink 2

Anyway here's looking forward to October

Cheers

Danny

Danny just a quick question....will there be a section for the Airsail chippie build or do we just make our own build blog and posts ? Also wondering if the hinges you lot have got would benefit me on the Airsail chippie ?

Tony

Hi Tony, I am not sure what to suggest with regards the Airsail builds. The Chip Shop section was intended for the Dennis Bryant variant.

The hinges should be the same for both IF the wing layout is the same. I have given the drawing to Traplet for them to offer it, but to be honest I have not even had acknowledgement of my email so not sure how you will get them. You are welcome to the cad drawing if you want to compare it to your plan and source them yourself? Dylan also has the drawings he may do some in ply which if you made small brass tubing bearings would work fine?

Cheers

Danny

Just heard from Kevin and he has the hinges in his hands Thanks Kevin you have saved us some postage

SLEC clearly aren't as good at counting as they are at cnc cutting.....they have given Kevin 20 sets we only ordered 19, so if there are any out there that wanted to a set of hinges but didn't speak up in time, here is your last chance

Great to see more of you creating blogs in the Chip-Shop section, it's nice to know a bit about the subject aircraft and your background before we get started.

Must confess to being a little nervous at the thought of steering anybody in the wrong direction, but I am sure we will get there in the end teeth 2 even with a couple of diversions and even mistakes along the way.....

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 02/06/2014 12:48:23

I have the plan and a Laser 80 and I would like to be part of this mass build. I will also take the 'spare' set of hinges if they are still available and someone lets me know how to pay for them. The one I shall base my model on is an Army one from Middle Wallop. I can make a start pretty soon as I only have a small sports model to complete.

David B

Hi David, send me a PM with your name and address and I will let you know about paying.

I hasten to add this is not really a mass build, and will not be kicking off until October 1st.

See this to read about the ideas behind this bit of fun...

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 02/06/2014 13:34:55

LOL Nigel, well thanks for that. The beauty of aero-modelling is that there is no right or wrong way, and often my way is not the quickest The benefit of Having so many experienced modellers joining in is you will hopefully get a different perspective on how to tackle various sections. For example the fus sheeting. The plan shows planking, I like to think I am pretty good at sheeting, so what you do is up to you. But What I am hoping to do is sheet the upper surface and plank the underside, so that you can see both methods. You can then take your pick as to what you want to do wink 2 I am also going to try and use 2mm balsa instead of 1/16 which if find is very unforgiving. (2mm V 1.6mm)

If you study the spanwise join on a Chipmunk wing, where the fabric covered rear meets the aluminium front, you will see an area that is going to have modellers coming up with all sorts of solutions, I have an idea how to do it Chris has another and a friend Ian at the model club has a third! So already no concensus of opinion crook

The more you look at a Chipmunk the more there is to see.........

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny

The Chipmunk fuselage (real one ) seems to be constructed in two sections, cockpit & rear fuselage. Hardly any double curves in either so sheeting should be a much easier option than planking. I did wonder about laminating the skins, two layers of 1/16 with 25 grm glass inbetween. Might be a bit over the top?

I just Googled 'Chipmunk rebuild' & found an interesting site which included photos of a wing being recovered.

Cheers John

Hi John yes well over the top, way too heavy I am afraid. You are quite right the Chipmunk fus was built in two sections and joined. I have perhaps found the thread you are referring too? though this restoration doesn't show the wings being removed, but does show how the joint I mentioned earlier is done on the full size

This is a small picture but shows production of the two sections

Cheers

Danny