Chip Shop

Danny Fenton

Advert

Posted by A.A. Barry on 24/10/2014 12:08:43:

Help, help help, I'm up to building the lower 1/2 of the fuz, but looking at where F3 and F6 sit, there is nothing there, what is the sequence for adding these parts,........ most confusing

Cheers

Barry

Been waiting for that question it's an odd build in places and he don't share his methods much smiley

I fitted a small 1/16 balsa trebler between F2-F3 and between F6-F7

John

Have a look what you've done to me fellas, I am weighing woodsurprise

Out of habit I bought spruce spars at the Nats...never looked at the plan. These weigh more than the t/plane and I have no sheet suitable for stripping into spars. Stuck till Monday nowsad

John

p.s. I missed you Terrywink

dfit 001.jpg

Edited By john stones 1 on 25/10/2014 19:34:07

If they are the right size John, I would use hem, even 50/50, spruce on the bottom and balsa on the top, a model of this size, a little extra weight wont hurt, makes it penetrate the wind better ...indecision

One thing I havn't done yet is to order the cowl and cockpits, if there is any left,thinking I bet the suppliers are jumping with glee over this build.....21 plans and extras

Barry

In fairness Barry Traplet did give us a 10 % discount on all the parts and plan. And I did drive a hard bargain with Chris at SLEC for the hinge parts

I can't tell you what to do John, there are many that would fit the harder/heavier spars, I know John Ranson almost always does. The Brian Taylor plans often call for 1/4 balsa spars and most opt to upgrade as the odd one has clapped its wing. This is very lightly loaded (if it doesn't get too heavy) and I am happy to have gone with the plan. But as they say "you pay your money you make your choice" Neither way is wrong wink 2

F4 by the way Traplet have not cut right, its close but the curve is too sharp. The same goes for F3.

And Barry, the simple way to allign F3 and F6 is to fit them after the doubler are in. I added feet anyway as I suggested to you, this just proved that they were in the right place

Cheers

Danny

Nigel this plan is not very clear as to how to build the wing. I have built wings the way you suggest and that's fairly normal. Unfortunately I am unable to get inside Dennis's head and understand how to do the wing. The problem is that to build the wing centre section you need more than one rib. In fact you only have a nose rib. R1 is part of the wing not centre section. You have to consider the allignment of B1,2, and 3. The outer wing panels have no ribs to help allignment from R1 to R4 because of the very deep doublers.

The chamfers on B1 and 3 need to be very precise otherwise your trailing edge will not fit.

If you can think of a way to do it and keep it true go for it, I am sure others will be delighted to see a better way.

Good luck, may the force be with you

Hi Chaps didn't meet many of you today at Gaydon, but I did meet Silver Fox who has promised to get cracking on his soon. He fits right in with the thought processes we are going through and is keen to learn, though is not inexperienced he looks forwards to the detailing.

I bumped into Andy M one of my GMAC clubmates, who although isn't doing a blog, was clutching a pile of balsa and was grinning from ear to ear as he left the SLEC stand

I spoke to CNC Chris from SLEC and he is still getting a trickle of orders for the hinges so what we are seeing on the forum is not the whole picture. I do hope we can get all these together in the future and form a loose formation

Anyway thanks for all the comments from people at Gaydon today lots more people are watching than you might think, going by the feedback today at least. Really chuffed.

Cheers

Danny