Chip Shop

Danny Fenton

Advert

Hi Nigel, yes a couple have asked to see it done. I am still in two minds about doing it. Mick does indeed do some 1/4" brass square section that is slotted. There is however a much lighter and more accurate way of doing it.

This is my BT Hurricane it has a sliding canopy.

dsc_6212 (small).jpg

The rails are made from aluminium square section which has the slot cut using a dremel. I can show you how to do this if people are interested?

Cheers

Danny

Thanks Guys, We will have to see how I feel when i get to that point

This was the jig to make the rails, its very simple, and could be used to make the slot in styrene I am sure. Alloy square section works very well and is lighter and stronger than styrene IMO.

0603.jpg

0604.jpg

The section is turned through 180 degrees and fed back through to ensure the slot is central.

The runners are "I" beam section styrene

Cheers

Danny

Hi Chaps, such enthusiasm for sliding rails

The aluminium square section I used on the Hurricane was 1/8 x 1/8 I have shown a link to where I get my K&S metal strip from before. Again, I have no connection with Macc Models, but they are always very prompt and always seem to have stock. There are no doubt others that can supply the material. For the Chipmunk you will need three strips, Bought four to allow for errors embarrassed

I said "I" beam section styrene I have checked and its "H" beam that works better. I find this section works well with Canopy runners as it has a wider base than "I" for gluing the canopy. You can use small bolt heads too but they are not so easy to hide.

With 1/8 (3.2mm) sq alloy I use 1.5mm "H" section. I use Evergreen Styrene usually from the train model shops. Here is a link to the styrene on Sherwood Models site.

If anybody needs some slotted square section and doesn't want to do it themselves let me know and I will cut some, you just need to cover my postage and a pint of beer

Cheers

Danny

Sorry Martin missed your question off the list. Blue foam I used to get from Sheffield Insulations, Styrofoam SP-X it was 2.5 mtrs x 600 mm for about a tenner. However it is no longer manufactured

I have yet to find another source of blue foam and the need will become more urgent as my stock dwindles away. Does anybody know of a spec that is similar?

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 02/12/2014 09:20:52

Danny

Thanks for the details. I ended up getting all the bits from 4D modelshop (no personal connection) but they had everything I needed including some tools.

The foam they have is Blue Styrofoam, which I hope is correct sad I just bought a small piece to give it a go on the fairings. Larger sheets look to be nearly as much again to ship !!!!!