Chip Shop

Danny Fenton

I was browsing how the Koffman starter works, as i knew of them but was unfamiliar re the workings, how does what is effectively a shotgun shell turn the engine over? Well I found plenty of infor and it was fascinating.

I did find a couple of video clips that I thought were very funny...

Firstly this is how it is supposed to work......

Of course this was what I found when researching the Chippy start......
Cheers
Danny

Advert

Posted by Tim @ ModelMarkings.com on 17/07/2015 13:21:37:

LOL!!!

iT Is not only us Lecy modellers who suffer Magic Smoke Syndrome!!

In my flying days at Sywell I was booked to fly the groups' Cherokee after some work and went to collect it from the workshop.

All strapped in with a young first time flyer and switched on the master switch and it all filled up with smoke! Switched off, abandoned ship and they discovered the battery terminals had been reversed! angry!

Terry

• 4 weeks later...

Well - slow progress, but following Danny's excellent tutorials I have been generating panel lines and rivets. This Chipmunk is far from scale, but it's proving to be a good test bed for the different techniques and it's a bit bigger than the DB one so it's probably easier. Only another few thousand rivets to go.....

img_3887.jpg

img_3889.jpg

img_3890.jpg

img_3892.jpg

Will be about 12-13 lbs, 81 inch span, Laser 150 power.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Dennis Bryant has got the shape of the wing root fairings behind the trailing edge wrong. G5 is the wrong shape. Because of the sharp double curvature upwards, from some angles it looks as if it is a convex curve. However looking at three-views and photos of the plane in flight, the curve is concave, a bit like a Spitfire. I've wasted half of the afternoon trying to figure this out, but I'm correct. I need to work out the right shape for it and it's quite tricky, just reversing G5 doesn't do it, the curve is too severe.

I confess that I'm not overly excited about minute scale detail, but the plane needs to be the right shape. With the wing root fairings as per plan it isn't. In plan view it looks completely wrong. That I can't live with.

Posted by Colin Leighfield on 26/05/2015 16:00:10:

Excellent Danny, much better than mine. I think the Bucker Bestmann is a very attractive plane. Although it is an Ideal model subject and someone will have done it, I've never seen one that I can recall.

I saw on the SLEC stand at Gaydon 2 years ago the prototype Bestmann they were developing, looked very nice, but not seen or heard anything of it since.

• 6 months later...

I am not sure how everybody is doing, Iam really pleased that my Chippy has finally had air beneath its wings, Johns second one has been flying a while. This week saw Martin's take to the skys as well. This has made me really proud of what we have all achieved. I hope you guys that are still at it will get some encouragement from those that have flown and maybe this winter will see a few more finished.

The challenge was to push ourselves beyound our comfort zone, and you don't need to complete the model to do that, but hopefully you will. I think you will agree we have done that!

It would be fabulous if we can get the Chipmunks together next summer, perhaps at Greenacres or even Old Warden?

So where do we go from here? I hope you will all keep encouraging the others as they keep the faith, scale modelleing is about stamina and there are no shortcuts. A little bit every week and you will get there.

For those that have enjoyed the challenge and want to move up yet another gear, I have two models that I would like to build, perhaps 2017/18 winter? A Brian Taylor 83" Spitfire IX, or if anybody is interested, my preference, the 81" Taylor Mossie.

Too big a challenge?

Edited By Danny Fenton on 22/09/2016 22:49:14

I will finish mine. The object now will be to have it ready to fly in the New Year. After that I will probably continue to mess around with some of the oddball things that interest me like the XB42 and the Seafang, but the primary task then has to be to go back and complete the Supermarine 317 project. Deep breath. I don't think I'll be ready for a BT Spitfire or Mosquito in 2017, maybe later. The 83" Spitfire is a class act, although I'd like to do it as a PRXI in USAF markings.

Posted by Andy Muckley on 23/09/2016 20:54:14:

Hi Danny/ All. good job you guys who have completed there models and flew them, i will get stuck into mine over the winter.

Danny any news on the under cart on the chippie ? Bet you haven't had time to take a look at it yet.

Hi Andy, no I haven't had a chance to open the wing up yet, hopefully over the weekend. Don't worry I will let you know what I find......

Great to hear you guys are still on the case

chippy maiden.jpg

Cheers

Danny

The Mossie is very tempting, not sure if I would be ready to start it by winter 2017/18. I presume the mossie would be electric? Although twin electrics sound better than single motor, would have to consider the possibility of having a sound card.

I prefer ic but do see the benefits of going electric with twins, just out of interest I have a Me110 on order from Warbird Replicas which will be electric. So I might use the 110 as a test bed for twin electrics as the build for the 110 will be simpler.

Struggling to get going on the chippy. It hasn't helped with some major DIY that is unlikely to be finished until end of year. However modeling mojo seem's to be coming back and I find the feedback from posts on the forum certainly helps.

SW

Edited By Silver Wolf on 24/09/2016 10:28:31

Hi Andy, well I have opened up the wing and the blocks have not come loose as first thought but the metal brackets are bending, allowing the piano wire to move around. So I will have to find a better way to attach the piano wire to the blocks than this, clearly not a good design. I will check the plans to see if I have misinterprated them first though

uc remedial 1(large).jpg

uc remedial 2(large).jpg

To save me going through everybodys builds could others show pics of their UC?

Cheers

Danny

Okay a quick look at the plans has explained what I have done wrong, sorry about this chaps. The torsion arm should come forwards towards the leading edge. Any backwards movement on the leg will then piush the piano wire AGAINST the block, The way I have it the rearward loads and tension lifts the piano wire away from the block and puts the load on the tin brackets, which invariably are going to bend.

Looks like my error........

Ah well at least we know

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 24/09/2016 16:26:14

Hi Danny just looked at mine but i have sheeted it and do not want to pull it off . but i have tried to bend the wire backwards and it starts to bend but feels strong, and cant here any cracking sounds, as you would if it was trying to part company. So i hope i have done this correctly. I hope you get some pictures of one that's not been sheeted yet. I will pull the sheet off if you really need me to but don't fancy it unless i really need to

Thats what we like to see, somebody that followed the plan!! well done Terry!

This has actually been quite worthwhile as my undercarriage was not perpendicular to the ground and it ruined any head on shots, it wasn't much but would cost me lots of points. Now I have been able to bend the legs so that they are correct

I took an angle grinder to the nuts and bolts holding the brackets, there was no way to get to the nylocs underneath! I swapped the left hand piano wire assembly for the right and tweaked the bends a bit while they were off the model. Then re fitted keeping the brackets in the same positions so that the screw holes alligned. Instead of 2mm screws and nylocs, I went for 2.5mm self tappers, they seem to be nice and firm.

So now mine looks like yours Terry wink 2

uc remedial 3(large).jpg

uc remedial 4(large).jpg

Edited By Danny Fenton on 24/09/2016 18:12:53