Chip Shop

Danny Fenton

Glad to have you joining in John, the idea is to push your own personal boundaries I suppose. If you can already build, but have always kept it simple this will be the opportunity to go a step further than you would normally. The flap and aileron hinges are nice and scale on this, and hang below the surface. I am sure many would not do them, opting for a simple solution. If you haven't tried then this again may be an opportunity to give it a go, with the safety net of others in the same boat. I am sure inside us all there are budding detailers (to some degree) just itching to get out.

The likes of Tony and the others can do much of the detailing in their sleep I am sure, so we will have to work on them over those rivets and panel lines

Cheers

Danny

I'm tempted, especially with an Oct 1st start date.

Would this be suitable for a third build and as a first low wing trainer? What's the ballpark figure for the cost of the wood - either as pre-cut bits or sheets/strips/blocks?

I want to do at least one scale model (and low wing trainer) with a decent amount of detail before I tackle a Spit.

Nigel

Be great to have your experience on board guys Nigel I am not sure if it will be too much. Lets see how you get on with the Barnstormer eh? There will be plenty to lend a hand if you have a go, if you get stuck. But bear in mind there are some parts that are not easy if you haven't tried before, for example planking. The Chipmunk has very few straight lines (apart from the wings) Dennis B is a scale champion and as such they are not really designed to crash, further more they are designed to be light. Yes you can beef it up here and there but it all adds weight.
The parts are available from Traplet (sorry David ) If you search their site for the Bryant Elite plan range you should find the Chipmunk.
The plan is ?26 the canopy ?18, the glass cowl ?20 and I think the wood parts ?70 ish. Extra strip and sheet will be required of course, mainly 1/16
Cheers
Danny

There are always two important questions about building a new model
1. can I build it?
2. is it suitable for me to fly at this stage?

The answer to 1. is often yes while the answer to 2. may be probably not --an easier to fly and easier to repair model might be better.

If in doubt it is possible to compromise and just build it and just admire it until it's the right time to fly it.

Danny apologies for slightly off topic, while I have your and Chris's attention I am thinking of replacing my flightpacks this year. Going away from NiMh if I can what is the battery you can charge in situ these days, the new technology variety, is it Life, !23 etc please. Also what V are they and will most of my standard Futaba 148s, 3001 cope with any increased V from 4.8.

Thank you for any help.

John

Hi John

Nice to see you, especially in this thread

The voltage of a 2S LiFe pack is generally considered almost identical to that of a 5 cell NiMh/NiCad.

It is charged on a special LiFe setting on a charger. This charges it up to 7.2V but that droops back to something like 6.6 quite quickly after taking it off charge.
A 5 cell NiMh will be at something like 7.5V straight off charge

If you have a look at this thread. You'll find other folks who use them regularly.
For what it's worth, I think it's the best way to go, unless you have a specific 4.8V limitation on the servos.I'll leave it to other folk who may have experience of your particular servos, but I think they'll be fine.

Cheers
Chris

It's a big help if you have the power plant already during a build

mine could be I.C or electric, if I go the electric route i'm in need of help

what size motor, esc and lipo would I need to be buying

it needs to enable me to fly when it's windy, so I like a bit of power in reserve

I don't intend to start before the group but would like to spread the cost a bit

thanks in advance for any advice.

John

p.s some good colour schemes posted, keep em comingyes

Edited By john stones 1 on 23/03/2014 22:56:04

I have been scouring the forums trying to find a build weight for one of these and have come up empty handed so far. Having looked at the plans at some length I reckon it is going to be somewhere around 7-8lbs but that is a complete stab in the dark. If anybody has any information please "chip" in (been dying to use that

Cheers

Danny