Chip Shop

Danny Fenton

Advert

Well I dropped Paul at Traplet an email about this and here is his reply:

"I am happy to confirm that we do still have copies of the March/April 1999 edition of RC Scale International in stock. I've checked a copy of the magazine and found that the article is on completing the model from a partly built airframe rather than building from scratch but the issue does also contain 4 pages of scale documentation on the Chipmunk. If anyone taking part in the joint build would like to order a copy of this magazine, we are happy to offer it for just £2.00 plus postage and packaging."

Well I know what you lot are like so I got in quick and I have ordered mine

Once again thank you to Paul for his help thumbs up

Cheers

Danny

Right then! I'm in too.

I have ordered all the bits and a copy of the magazine as well.

I have almost finished the workshop to build it in, although I will get my hand back in with something else first.

I think I had better get flying again too, I have about twelve years worth of cobwebs to blow away.

Alex

Posted by kc on 28/03/2014 10:45:02:
Kevin has confused the names of 2 different magazines -RC Scale Aircraft Quarterly ( later marked "International" when Graham Ashby was Assistant Editor)was a Nexus etc magazine same as RCME etc, while RC Scale International edited by Simon Delaney was a Traplet magazine. So they came from rival sources!
I declined to put the RCSQ 3 view on this thread because it is copyright of a rival publisher to the one supplying the plans and parts for the Chipmunk we are discussing here!
Perhaps David Ashby will be indulgent on this occasion for the sake of aeromodelling!

My apologies. I did indeed mix the two up. blush

If It suits the mods to delete my post containing the scans then please do so. It was not my intention to step on anyone`s toe`s.

I should also say that the plan and article are not in any way related to the Dennis Bryant one.

Kev

I'm in!

Just ordered plan, cowl, canopy, woodpack and mag from Traplet - very kind discount they are offering.

Now to decide on engine -( maybe ASP 80???) and collect all the other bits.

I'm just finishing painting my Mick Reeves 1/4 scale Fournier RF4D and hope to have that in the air by the middle April, so summer taken up flying that and my Cub.

Look forward to building commencing in October - there are so many choices to choose from and I'm very inspired!

Hope to see Danny and Terry (and a few others) down in Marmande in July for the World Scale Championships.

What a great subject to get our teeth into.

Steve

Landing at living room

Great to see the Chippy is as popular as ever. I save my Airsail chipmunk for nice calm sunny days. OS 52 four stroke powered which is perfect for scale flying. Climb out is slow and very realistic as is all aspects of the flight. Needing to dive to get enough speed to get over the top of a loop etc. Landing with flaps looks every bit a real chippy. the four stroke sounds good too. Tests your real flying skills, not having an excess of power.

I look foward to following this thread. Here's a couple of pics from my album.

Mark

Nearly Finished

Posted by Glenn Stratton on 27/03/2014 07:01:21:

I've a Laser 80 lined up too, but after reading Martins post, 8.5lbs on a OS52FS (4stroke I presume? ), and Chris wouldn't be surprised if DB's isn't a bit lighter, I'm now wondering if an 80 will be a bit too much (I know I can use throttle control) and maybe not have to add any nose ballast! I do have a Saito 65 that I could use instead. What are other people's thoughts? I will be flying off grass also, are you flying off grass Martin?

I have always flown it from grass. Here's a bit of video from a trip to our twinned club in Germany. Seeing mention of considering a steerable tailwheel in another post reminded me that this was actually the day that I finally lost patience with the scale castering tailwheel, due to a stiff crosswind and locked it. It steers well on the ground in almost all conditions but I did allow a few degrees of free movement which may help here. Whatever anyone does with the tailwheel, I would not recommend going with the castering tailwheel - the full size has differential steering to give control on the ground.

Co-incidentally, the current header photo on this thread is the Chipmunk used to give Prince Charles his initial instruction in the RAF - the beacon was fitted as a warning to all other aircraft to stay well clear! It's part owned by one of our club members and a side benefit to teaching him to fly models was a very pleasant afternoon in the back seat - followed by a quick session back at the club with my model to round off a memorable day!

Edited By Martin Harris on 28/03/2014 22:22:03

I am really tempted by this project. It would be a great opportunity to improve the building skills with the help of a master like Danny Fenton and others who will take part. The chippy is a great aeroplane first flight by Pat Fillingham, no relative that I know, but a great test pilot and I very much admire Major F B Halford the engine designer a brilliant man.

The only thing stopping me is the size due to having store models in the house and transport them in a BMW mini. Can anyone tell me the fuselage width and length so that I can work out if I can accommodate this. I guess I could scale the plans down a fraction, but this might mean having to make my own canopy and cowling.

Great video chaps, enjoyed that. I do like the red Chippy, quite drawn to that one....

My experience with castoring tailwheels is the same, great on a calm day but any sort of wind and forget it! The Sea Fury in my avatar was castoring for a few years and I finally cried enough and cut the fus open to make it steerable. Much better. However having said that there are still ocasions where insufficient weight on the tailwheel means it will still weathercock into wind, and has to be retrieved crook But usually I can "drive" back to the flightline area. Castoring may be scale as you rightly say but to be truly scale you need steerable brakes, and it isn't praticable at 1/6 scale wink 2

Cheers

Danny

The fuselage is a smidgen over 50 inches long David, from the tip of the spinner to the tip of the tail. The width is 6 3/4 at the widest point which is the fairings. The tailplane is 23 1/2 inches span.

It would be great if you could build along. I think the wing of the Chipmunk is the main issue 68" and with legs hanging down to get in the way crook

Cheers

Danny

Good man, glad the sight of all those rivets in loose formation hasn't put you off thumbs up I would like to make an effort on the cockpit, but I know that's not everybody's cup of tea. But maybe we can delve into that for those that want to get creative. But we must keep an eye on the weight

This one is much simpler smile p

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny & All Chipmunkers, I am still working on the wing. It's about 70% complete. I haven't started the fuse or anything else so i can't help with the rudder. Simon Delaney simplified some of the building such as the ailerons hinges using Robart Hindge Points. I have followed Mr. Bryant.He fitted the wooden engine bearers with a new 6mm bulkhead then cut off the bearers flush with the front of the new bulkhead. A nylon engine mount was attached to take the O.S.70.

I intend to fit separate servos for the ailerons and flaps. Simon mounted his in the centre section as per plan.

Simon also fitted oleos, detailed the wheels and cockpit, added panels and hatches and used a piece of brass tube on a soldering iron to imitate rivets and fasteners. He fitted a steerable tail wheel but no detail is provided on how this was done. He makes an interesting comment. Quote" The rudder and elevator servos were installed on hardwood bearers in the rear cockpit. The receiver fitted under the pilot figure and the battery was secured in a lite ply box behind the cockpit to get the CG in the right place.

I live in Tasmania and purchased my plans and woodpack from the Australian distributors. They included a DVD" walk arround " which is very informative. No doubt these are available from Traplet as well.

I will continue to follow this thread with great interest and I hope with many ideas and solutions. Good luck with your projects all. Graeme

Hi Danny, which wheels did you get from Leeds MS, their website has a lack of pic's! I've had a scan for scale type rubber and not seen anything really suitable from various sources, and can anyone shed any light regarding the pilots office, will he/them be full, half or bust size, again not found anything suitably 70's military scale yet! Did the RAF / UAS ever use the Chippie as a glider tug, I've noticed some pics of civvy craft with towing gear?