Pick a Plane: shortlist

RCM&E

flanker the only problem with little known types is their lack of appeal to many modellers.like you i like alot of the little known types but the trouble is most people dont even know what they are. as far as most people are concerned sidestrand and overstrand are villages with funny names just outside cromer

Advert

That Geoff is my point. Rare types do not lack apeal , they are just rare. In the future seeing as this fine web space is for us , let us have a rare bird trawl through or members and see what fine and interesting aircraft we can come up with.
Remember that many fine flying/looking aircraft have never had the chance to become famous for a varity of reasons, witness the YF 23 for example.

I only wish there was a trilander here - the differences are minute, and the trilander is definatly the better looking. oh well.
Britten-Normen Islander (in aurigny livery)
Hawker Typhoon - lovely and beefy
DH hornet
Trilander, Trilander, Trilander!
I wonder what it would look like woth G-JOEY livery!
Reminds me of my grandpa who used to live there *sniffle*

My three:

1)Hawker Typhoon
2)Hawker Hurricane
3)Grumman Hellcat

All three aren't among the most modelled subjects (unlike Spitfires, Mustangs, etc.)
All are single engined (if this build-along is to be as inclusive as possible, twin-engined models might be a bit ambitious for some here (includiong me).
Could I suggest that whichever plan wins it is one that will allow either electric or ic power - so as to maximise the number of modellers who will find it of interest and therefore follow it?

Just my tuppence worth - hope no one minds.

Don.

1st choice - Hellcat - that big radial cowl will give easeier cooling that either of the Merlin engine fighters. Also, I have a lovely old Laser 180 V-twin looking for a loving home. Tweist & Turn retracts could be fun.

Second choice - the Magister - I love planes from that era, and I also have several homeless Laser singles of varying sizes.

Finally - the Avro 504 - If you think building it will sort the men from the boys, try flying it! Bags of adverse aileron yaw, and with all that drag a dead stick could be entertaining!

Oh well, I supose we must be grateful that the Spitfire and Tiger Moth don't feature.
The Beaufighter would be nice because I want to see just how Tony will get the CG far enough forward! Lead cowls? B-25 is nice aircraft and more practical. and the Hornet, those sharply tapered wings will sort the men from the boys.
I agree, the voting system does throw up the normal subjects but people go mad over the lesser known ones that appeal i.e Rod Jocelyn's Culver Dart and Midget Mustang although that should not really be a lesser known aircraft

Peter.

My three votes are:

1, B25 Mitchell - Got to be Great Britain D-DAY style (1944) and with the split flaps would be helpful for the details.
2, Miles Magister - either Wingspan 58" (1/7) or 68" (1/6) would be a nice size.
3, BN Islander - either engines (four stoke) or Brushness motors, with the flaps up to 60 degrees down would be fantastic for the short landing!

1. Hawker Tempest/Typhoon
2. Miles Magister
3. DH Hornet

Hawker most appeals because engine can easily be concealed, and I recall test pilot Beaumot's book Against the Sun with great enthusiasm.

Look forward to the plans anyway.
RCM&E seems to be the best journal around - and the Editor insists on good English too - really quite rare these days, sadly! But best for good unambiguous learning and understanding.