Pick a Plane: shortlist

RCM&E

Advert

This is ment for the feedback section. As I just said in my vote post, what a dull bunch of planes to try to choose from ! I've been thinking why such a un interesting list?

The answer is I think due to the fact that we are voting. I guess that the most voted for planes will be the most well known planes, simply because more people know about them.

I would love it if we could have lots mote stuff that no one has heard of, I mean what was a Sidestrand for exhample ? Come on guys lets up the interest here and get us to vote for the three favorite types that none of us have ever heard of ! ( you show us pictures first... ) :)

I think that a scale twin engined model would be ideal as a build series.
How about an HE 111 H series with enlarged radiators, so that the engines can be fully hidden.
There are a lot of 'old wives tales' and some facts! about twins.
A good series would, I think, ecourage more people to try twins.

I have followed this thread with passing interest. Most people have adhered to the recommended list as I did.

Upon reflection I do think at a personal level. There are a number of constraints which influence my decisions.

A) The model needs to be reasonably big, i.e. 1.5-2m span. So that I can see it.
b) Capable of slow flight without being a paper bag in the breeze. Missiles have little intrest for me.
c)Electric powered, preferably using bell motors (these are cheap and powerful at this time). I have found that Brushless motors and Li-poly batteries give incredible performance at an affordable cost
d) Easy to build, without investing a lot of time in construction.

A airplane that seems to be capable of fulfilling these criteria is the seldom modelled ( think) "Heinkel 219 Uhu"

1) It was a slab sided box type fuselage. With simple cockpit shape.
2) Ample wing area ratio when compared to body size.
3) Could fly well as a twin electric.

The only downside for me is the trailing edge profile in plan. Could this be simplified? Also the dihedral twin fins could make the elevator linkage tricky.

I think this is a model that I would like to have a go at.

Here's my three:
* DH Hornet
* Hawker Hurricane
* Hawker Typhoon

The Hornet because it represents the pinnacle in twin piston engined aircraft. Twin .25s could probably power a decent aeroplane (note the spelling for airplane :¬) A twin would be a great project. It's British too.

The Hurricane because without it we would have lost the Battle of Britain and though spits are great a Hurricane would would be a nice change. Oh, and it's British too.

The Typhoon because the chin scoop could lend itself to a nice juicy almost inverted 4 stroke. Fantistic sight, fantastic sound, fantastic flying. It's British. What more could we want?

In the interests of economy for the masses I think that a target engine size of a 46 could produce a decent aircraft and at the same time the plans wouldn't be so big to to be uneconomical to publish.

Flanker: I'm not sure if you're aware, but this shortlist was actually drawn up from models suggested by ModelFlying.co.uk members in a previous thread. This whole thing has been driven by the community here, so if we do a similar thing in the future (as I'm sure we will) the onus will be on you to suggest some more 'interesting' examples!

My Point was that when you use "the masses" to choose something you will always get an average of the most well known . It was only a little moan, its just that we see these types all the time - you can buy good kits of all of them. What would be more interesting would be to dredge the community for the most unknown/modelled types that you can't buy kits of! Like the Overstrand / Sidestrand that I mentioned.

Flanker. I see your point about other less well known models being put into plan form. I confess I had to look up the Sidestrand on a Google search & agree it would make a lovely build, however, I think the well known planes are well known partly because they are well loved. I guess what we need to say to the plan makers is our shortlist maybe needs to extend beyond the three issues. Dare I suggest a Sea Fury be added to the list Mr Ashby ; )

I remember suggeting a couple of aeroplanes like many others did. Its great that we are actually being asked what we want. Although my own suggestions were not on the final list I still feel I was part of it. Anyway as Tom Bailey has said they will be asking us again in the future. Maybe then we can go for the most unusual we can come up with. But for now lets be satisfied that we have been part of this (I too had to look up what a Sidestrand was). After all how many other magazines do you know of that give us a say in whats going into it?