What do you wear??

Spice Cat

Ok, it's raining and another muse on my part. I read some time ago an Alex Whittaker column where he described wearing his 'working' fleece that was covered with blobs of epoxy.

This struck a chord with me as I tend to wear an old fleece, the zip toggle is long gone, but it is honourably dotted with epoxy, cyano and hot glue. Laundry Woman still cleans it for me, under protest, and I intend to hand it on as a family heirloom.

As I said, it's raining and the forecast is not looking good for the rest of the week. So, question is; what do you wear? (no funny comments or descriptions about 'sub clothing' required)

I did consider getting some sort of model makers apron at one point but upon telling Laundry Woman she laughed and asked me if I wanted slippers and a pension book as well. To save a small part of my dignity I pointed out that as she works part time technically she cannot afford to live with me and I keep her on as an act of charity.

Anyhow comments, clean ones, are invited.

Please can we not start a north/south divide between aprons, workshop coats and ordinary clothing.

PS wearing full coveralls does not make you hardcore either.

Still rainingcrying

Regards

Advert

Hello SC .......I normally wear my suit pants(jean's) and they all have war wounds on(cyno,epoxy etc)...as do most of my tee shirts-----in my time I have supeglued myself to the kitchen floor on several occasion's ..... all part of been an aero modeller...your not one until you've glued your fingers together a few times.....as well as kapowing them with prop's and knives,drill's etc....as well as overspraying things you shouldn't.....that's my slant anyway....

ken Anderson ne..1 ....... living on the edge dept.

sams senior telemaster and me.jpgrimg0243.jpghooligan and radio queen 2.jpgIt's dry here but I'm summoned to lunch at 13.00 so I don't have the time to fly. I've got three changes of scruffy clothes for doing any type of manual work including building models. I get most of my working clothes from charity shops or market stalls.

As for flying, what I wear can depend on the weather and whether I'm flying i/c or not. In very cold weather I've been known to wear two layers beneath a fleece with a boiler suit and a sheepskin jacket over the top. The Australian hat keeps my head warm in winter and the sun out of my eyes at any time of the year. In hot weather it's tee shirts, shorts and sandals.

A few pictures of your humble servant in flying garb may amuse you.

chocks away!.jpg

Edited By David Davis on 20/04/2014 10:56:16

When building models I wear a butchers apron (tasteful blue/white)

If I get glue on my sweater or jeans SWMBO gives me a clip round the ear, this is most embarrassing as I have to fetch the steps so she can reachblush

Occasionally when flying IC in cold weather I wear a boiler suit to keep the smell of glow fuel off my clothes for the same reason as above.

I also keep an old fishing jacket in the car together with a beany hat and gloves for cold spells.

For building:

well-loved sweatshirts that have only got a couple of paint streaks on them and, currently, Aldi's workjeans that have Resin-W outdoors, CA, epoxy and 3 distinguishable shades of paint on them.

For flying:

exactly the same, unless it's cold when old motorcycle gear goes over the top or for fly-ins when (mostly) paint and glue free jeans are order of the day.

I only really think about my dress when I call in at the supermarket where the cashiers occasionally mistake me for some form of manual labouring working class typesurprise.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 20/04/2014 11:12:25

I'm afraid I am really bad and tend to go into the workshop wearing whatever I happen to be wearing! I'm a pretty scruffy so-and-so anyway so some would say that's appropriate. In fact I know people who wouldn't be seen dead in what I class as "dressed up"!

The upshot of this is that most of my day-to-day clothing has CA spots or some other "medal" of shedliness on them somewhere. Much to Mrs BEB's annoyance!

For flying much the same - unless its very cold - in which case I dress like the "Michellin Man" - ie about 6 layers! At the risk of falling foul of SC strictures about "sub-clothing" I should point out that this last winter is the first one in which I've gone for the full "thermals" underneath when out flying - boy they work well, I should have tried them years ago!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 20/04/2014 13:11:05

Very impressed by some and reassured by others.

I took Laundry Woman and the protoplasmic child benefit device to the Pantiles last week and upon visiting this rather high brow gardening shop, I was bowled over to see an apron priced at £80!!!!!

It wasn't even patterned.

Still raining.

Posted by Dave Miller on 20/04/2014 17:19:34:
Posted by ken anderson. on 20/04/2014 13:37:24:

I've seen BEB in the flesh so I can 2nd the above.....

ken Anderson ne...1 ....fashion dept.

Commiserations; it can’t have been very pleasant. disgust

this possibly explains the proliferation of sun glasses at greenacres last year despite the abysmal weather, sorry Dave (BEB) but you did kinda walk into this lol

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 20/04/2014 17:49:25:

I'm a sort of "inverse judging a book by its cover" sort of person. Dapper people distress and worry me. I avoid them at all costs!

BEB

especially at the flying field Dave, I must admit the only reason I was even half tidy last year at greenacres is the fleece and T shirts were brand new from phil@eliteworkwear bought for the occasion and were worryingly dog hair free at the time. Not so now though which reminds me must chase phil up on my order for this year times a slipping by now.

I have an old welding coat which I used to wear at an old employeers, essentially a dark blue cotton jacket. this goes on, normally over a t-shirt or sweater when i put my safety boots on as I enter the shed (wellies off and by the door to prevent mud coming in). this coupled with one of my sets of old jeans used for working in shed/garden/diy and I'm all sorted. not as much discolouration or paint staining on things as I would like as too much time is being spent on household duties and not enough on Shedly business.

This should change around mid may....